RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cookin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Cookin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am so overjoyed looking at this area. I have never been one to do any cooking until just a short time ago, being single it was just to much of a hassle---I thought. I even had a hard time boiling water without burning it. So now have bought a couple cook books, new fry pan, slow cooker and a deep fryer. Found here on making onion rings, that is my next chore. Just finished up with a batch of gizzards & hearts, came out super. Looks like maybe reloading will take a back seat for a bit. Thanks to all for these good foods to try.

Boolit Master

There are a lot of folks that just don't "get" how fun cooking is. What is not to like? You get to create something uniquely yours and then enjoy it!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy

Deep fryer, think catfish filets ,
    Next try
    put water in it and add canned biscuits, then drizzle honey over them

Boolit Master
    It's hard to mess up anything if you use a slow cooker.

Boolit Buddy
    A Slow Cooker polarized me for 8 mouths ......

Boolit Master
    My mother had little interest in homemaking. I started cooking my own eggs when I was 6 and went on from there. I do a spicy garlicy shrimp that'll knock your socks off. Last night I used Mrs. smokeywolf's new-fangled computerized pressure/slow-cooker and did a batch of ham bone - navy bean soup.

Breakfast in the morning will be croissant sandwiches with egg, Canadian bacon and cheese.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned

Get yourself a Webber original 22" kettle grill on Amazon for $100 and add grilling to your experience

Moderator Emeritus

Just keep hanging out here, and you'll get all sorts of tips, insights and recipes. I am just awed by some of the stuff I see here! Some really great cooks! I'm still pretty much learning, just like you. My Mom was the greatest cook EVER, but that gene seems to have not made it to me, so I keep trying stuff and learning from it. But it's really pretty easy, or at least not too difficult, to learn to make some darn good meals, if we just think about what we're doing and why we're doing it, and what end we're working for, which is usually a certain taste. I've come up with some stuff that even my wife said she likes! Now THAT was truly amazing. But hang out here much, and you'll be doing a lot of the same. The main reason many don't cook is timidity, and fear that they'll ruin everything they try. Even for a duffer, that'd be hard to do, given just a little reason and attention to detail. Cooking is often about the little things we do, that often don't seem like they'd make as much difference as they DO. An eye for detail helps reap the most from cookbooks or anything you see here. And when you modify a recipe, or use another technique, stow in your memory how it came out and what you want to try next, to make it better. This is how all really good cooks approach the task, I believe. And really good cooks are adventurous, and like to try new and different things and recipes. Being able to improvise with what you happen to have in the fridge is a VERY useful talent to develop. When you get to planning meals, and ensuring everything you need is in the larder, you're REALLY getting good!

Good to have a new contributor here.

Boolit Master
    My big sister instilled in me a love of cooking. I've never really looked at it as a chore, more of an opportunity to be creative and enjoy the end results. Here's some motivational pictures.

You don't get any fresher than pulling the shrimp out of the pots, and cooking them up on the boat.

I made shashlik, Russian style kababs for the crew that built our house.

With Alaskan's abundant sea life, you gotta put it to good use.

smoked salmon.

fish tacos

sushi

Been known to bang out more traditional fair

pizza

pork adobada with fresh tortillas

and back to the grill

pork butt that was finished off in the oven

Last edited by paul h; 02-17-2017 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

I tossed a 2 pound sirloin roast on the Traeger smoker today. 425 hot smoke to set a nice crust on the roast and leave it very rare in the center. Tossed on a potato to bake at the same time. Pigged out on meat and potato with a sliced cucumber and onion salad for a side dish. I will thin slice the leftover and heat in beef broth for sandwiches!

Boolit Master

Cooking is reloading you can eat.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    Cooking is reloading you can eat.

LIKE !
    Never thought of it that way. But if you can cook, it doesn't take much to fix up a decent meal.

My mom was a good cook and would get me to help her in the kitchen, at the time I didn't realize she was teaching me something very valuable...how to fix good tasting food. She also taught me about canning, preserving , jam and jelly making, which is useful .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post

pork adobada with fresh tortillas
    That looks absolutely amazing. Have posted the recipe?

Boolit Master

Yep I had a working mom and six siblings. We all got a little learning one way or another. Often was the phone call from mom after school before she left work with instructions to get things ready like popping something in the oven from the fridge or starting pasta water to boil, or shucking corn etc. she'd get in from work and take over likely with more money instruction. lol I liked kitchen gadgets as a kid and ended up being the official cheese grater for my mom who had carpel tunnel issues.

Made up my own breakfast combos from fridge findings. Scrambled eggs with hot dogs and melted cottage cheese is pretty good to a ten year old. I remember cooking venison from my first deer and mom wanted nothing to do with it until she smelled it. Venison with lots of onions and red peppers and and a Stroganoff like sauce with a huge amount of dill. Yeah an odd combo but even picky mom said it was very good.

My dad, a city fireman, was a good cook in his own right. I'm guessing he got my more experience at work cooking than he let on.

Banned

I have one big problem cooking, search cabinets for ingredients and find few. Carol says write what I need, comes back empty handed, store says they never heard of that stuff.
    But the worst of all is splashing the stove with grease. I get taken behind the barn for that!
    If she seen the inside of my smoker, she would never eat again from it.

Boolit Master

Wow, Paulh, that is a heck of a post! I like it!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

I'm not afraid to try to cook anything, but at 65 YO don't think I like everything. My wife (No. 2) can cook really good too. We have a lot of fun cooking together. She's not like my ex wife, (if it's brown it's still cooking, and with a no bake oven that is full of cobwebs). We both gained about a min. of 25# since we have been together, I surprised her and she surprised me. Love her to death.

Boolit Master
    I enjoy cooking almost as much as I enjoy shooting, reloading, fishing, and the out doors. I enjoy good food. I enjoy my family sitting down to a home cooked meal.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    I made a batch of posole a couple nights ago. First time the wife had ever had it, and she loved it.

Reloading doesn't make me nearly as fat as cooking does.
    The enemy of good is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast