Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Did I just get lucky?

Did I just get lucky?

I just took delivery on a 5.5" Colt Bisley made in 1898. Here's some pics from the dealer.

Everything works as a new gun, lock up is tight and positive, the bore is excellent except for a wee bit of leading, but that's been taken care of. The "did I get lucky?" part is the cylinder throats, they seem to measure .454 for five and .453 for the sixth. My 1904 vintage Colt New Service comes in at a pathetic .448-.449 throat diameter. I honestly expected the Bisley to have small throats also. Did I just get lucky, or did Colt actually make em right back in 1898?

Boolit Master

Can't answer your question, but shore is purdy!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    it is nice...i held one once...they feel awkward to me.

but yours is a good looker for her age!

Boolit Master
    Amazing find. Do the numbers all match?

Don't worry about the small throat. Make sure you know which cylinder it is and leave it empty. You carry those with the hammer on an empty chamber anyway.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Beautiful! That's enough to make a person drool! Do you know anything about the history of it?

I love the Bisley but at my age, will never get one. I have a Uberti clone though and I really enjoy shooting it . . . while mine may not be "real" . . . . I just "pretend" it is!

Congrats on your new "baby" - it's a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by JWT View Post
    Amazing find. Do the numbers all match?
    Yup, all the numbers match and she's clean and tight. I've been kicking myself for passing on another 1898 Bisley from the same dealer about 7-9 years ago, it was a 7.5 inch .32-20 in better shape than the .45 I just bought from him.

I like the Bisley grip, it fills the hand better and feels more natural, like putting a Colt 1860 Army grip on a 1851 Navy Colt, it gives the pinkey finger a place to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Don't worry about the small throat. Make sure you know which cylinder it is and leave it empty. You carry those with the hammer on an empty chamber anyway.
    Naw, Taz I'm not worried about the one throat at .001" under the others. I'm just happy they're .454 instead of .448 like my New Service.

Boolit Master
    That sure is a very nice addition to any Colt collection.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Beautiful! That's enough to make a person drool! Do you know anything about the history of it?

I love the Bisley but at my age, will never get one. I have a Uberti clone though and I really enjoy shooting it . . . while mine may not be "real" . . . . I just "pretend" it is!

Congrats on your new "baby" - it's a beauty!
    Nothing about it's history, I may get it lettered to find out where it shipped to from Colt back in '98. It could have been just about anywhere in it's 119 year old life. It does show some light holster wear and looks as if it was dropped at one time, (some light "bugger" marks on the backstrap and barrel just in front of the ejector rod housing) but probably spent a lot of time in storage or on display. Anyway, someone loved the old gal and saw to it she was well taken care of.

They were designed to be a target revolver, so maybe they took extra care with them. Congratulations on a really great find -- the finish is really great for something that old.

Right you are Der Gerbirgsjager, (though more were probably on the open range than the target range). I was thinking along the same lines, grand-dad's New Service, only six years younger, (1904) in the same caliber has some very under size throats, .448-.449" which I expected to find on the Bisley, but was pleasantly surprised when I measured them. The dealer, Dennis Fulmer antique guns had just listed this gun a sort time before I saw it and picked up the phone to order it. Dennis is a great guy to deal with, and his prices are fair, often 30-50% lower than what you would find on Gun Broker, or Guns America.

Boolit Grand Master

Id be suspicious if all measured the same like that except one. I suspect someone worked on it as a shooter not a safe queen. Unless i was buying it as a collectable to remain unshot id consider myself lucky that someone saved me the trouble of doing it myself as long as its a good job.

Boy that is a nice handgun and sure one ups the one i bought this weekend by a large margin
    Last edited by jonp; 03-06-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Perma-Banned

Nice gun!

I have a Bisley...but it is a clone.

That is pretty, congratulations on the new addition!
    Keep moving forward!

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Id be suspicious if all measured the same like that except one. I suspect someone worked on it as a shooter not a safe queen. Unless i was buying it as a collectable to remain unshot id consider myself lucky that someone saved me the trouble of doing it myself as long as its a good job.

Boy that is a nice handgun and sure one ups the one i bought this weekend by a large margin
    Ya got a Bisley? Let's see it! Even if there ain't no blue left, they're still great guns!

The first Bisley I passed on was in the early 80's, nice enough for a shooter, 4.75" .45 smooth, but reblued. I chased after a 7.5" SAA in .44WCF instead. The second one was a 7.5" .32WCF actually nicer than the .45 I just bought, (been kicking myself for years over that non-purchase!).

If someone did the throats, I thank them. It will receive a diet of 454190 boolits as long as I live.

Yes. You did get lucky.

Perma-Banned
    Nice lookin gun!!