Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: New Press

Boolit Grand Master

New Press

Yesterday the Fed Ex man dropped off a box for me. It was a brand new Forster Co-Ax press (I scratched an itch that I've had for a few years). Last week I saw one on sale for $10.00 off at Grafs, typed in the CC numbers and only had buyer's remorse for mebbe 3.25 seconds. Unpacked and started setting up; I sat the press on the bench edge and looked at it for a while and figgered it may be more "ergonomic" if the press was at an angle towards my left (I'm right handed), so I mounted it on one of my Rock Dock plates at about a 30 degree angle. So far I've only been able to set up two die sets as I only had a couple of Sinclair lock rings and two Pacific lock rings. The other rings I have are Lee, RCBS and a few others that have flats on them, so I'm going to wait to see if they will work at a later time.

Set up was a breeze, same principles as any other press and it only took 3 trues to adjust the priming system, but I may have to flip the jaws to fit my .44 Magnum brass. 30-06, 308, and .44 Mag. fit the shell holder just fine.

So far the only drawback I've run into is I need to switch shell holder jaws for 9mm and 30-30 and die lock rings. I sized a few 39-06 cases and heard the satisfying "plink" of the old primers dropping into the little plastic jar.

I have used a Lee turret for quite a while, as best as I can figger maybe 20-22 years and of course a new press will take a bit of getting used to, but so far I like it!!!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

A couple mods that really make it a nice press are. 1) that little plastic jar does a wonderful job catching primers but doesn't hold very many LOL. I removed it from my Co Ax and the little clip picked up a piece of plastic tubing that fit it snug and long enough too reach 4" into an 8lb powder jug or waste can. It now "catches" all the primers and only has to be emptied every couple years LOL. 2) the primer set up will get better with practice a small block to set under the head and support it at the right height frees a hand and makes it easier also. 3) I made a shell holder cartridge that holds the springs and jaws in confined so one set can be removed and another installed with out all the loose parts. You do need to purchase a second set of jaws and springs for this. I simply made a couple new jaw blocks a little wider and used .060 banding for the bottom. 4 4-40 flatheads to hold them together. they are now a cartridge that is simply bolted in and out with the 2 bolts. It does raise the shell holders .060 so dies need to be adjusted accordingly.

Boolit Master
    Yeah. I took the little jar off and did the same thing. I ran the hose into a small bucket. Did the same for the LNL AP, Ultramag and the 550. I just park a bucket under the Summit and Champion. MDI welcome to the COAX. It's not ergonomic per se but it has uncanny leverage for forming cartridges. It's the original quick change die press! I think the priming system is the best I've used on a press albeit painfully SLOOOW.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Bub
    I ended up getting the shorter ball handle for mine. I discovered I didn't need the all of the leverage with the original handle, especially when I'm just doing my decap procedure before wet tumbling. If I'm going to resize a lot of large rifle cases, I'll sometimes switch it back to the longer, original handle.

Boolit Master
    I was a little surprised that they don't offer an automatic primer feeding system like everyone else does. And the looseness of the die and case holder system seems to be a real setback from precision machined conventional presses. There doesn't seem to be anyway to persuade a slightly misaligned cartridge case back straight again. Even the shellholder seems to be loose so that you couldn't control headspace very well. Although I guess the sizing die is spaced to the bottom of the shellholder clamp when it pushes it down to the bottom. I am not trying to say the press is all wrong. I would really like to try one. I am just not sure it would be "better" than the RCBS or Hornady presses I have already. I do like Forester equipment and have used one of their case trimmers for 25 years and think its the best.

Boolit Grand Master

Update; I loaded about 20 .44 Magnum rounds this morning. Priming was a piece o' cake (I have used a ram prime for quite a while and a bench primer lately) and it only took 4 or 5 rounds to figger a method. I guess I like to sit closer to the press than some and the handle was bumping my belly. I looked around the shop but found no round stock to fit so I just primed and seated bullets in the 20 cases without a handle, just grabbed the yoke. Plenty of leverage, but I'll prolly get the short handle. So far it's an exceptional press, with nuttin' wrong for me...

If the small spent primer jar gets too small, I'll just move my spent primer/junk brass bucket below the press and remove the jar...

I was looking at the die holder system and I see no reason to worry about too large variation because of die movement; the die will move exactly the same distance every time...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I liked how Rex Roach mounted his CO-Ax so much I did it.

I also use it to seat all the primers for the SKS, M1 Carbine and M1 Garand. A magnet will stick to the press and hold the allen wrenchs and the primer adjustment dohicky. That way there is no digging around to find them when changing the shell plate config or primer setup.

The only real drawback is the bullet sizing with push thru sizer.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Good video daboone!

There's always more than one way to tree a coon.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 02-18-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Typing
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Man
    Buy the short roller handle from Inline Fabrications. You won't be sorry.

Boolit Master
    Someone on here sells a better shellholder plate that keeps those springs captive, and not fling all over and getting lost.

Here's the youtube video. I upgraded mine and it does prevent getting on your hands and knees to find those little escaped springs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9BpFD7NbvL8
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Congrats on your new press I got one last October and just love it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    My first press....45 years ago....back then a Bonanza. Just over $60 new.
    Don Verna