RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 1903 Springfield Mark 1

Boolit Master

1903 Springfield Mark 1

Anyone have some history on this rifle, it has a cut for the pederson device
    otherwise it has been re arsenaled with a 5-44 barrel.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    You can find a .pdf copy of Hatcher's Notebook online for free, with a bit of research. In it, he details the Mark 1 rifle pretty thoroughly, IIRC.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Jake, there isn't much to tell that you haven't stated. The oblong/oval slot cut in the left receiver wall was the ejection port for the Pedersen Device which replaced the issue bolt, turning the rifle into a semi-auto. They made approx. 145,000 of them, and after the decision was made to destroy all the Pedersen Devices the rifles just went into general issue and no care was taken to keep them separate. They went to all the various theatres of war in WW II and underwent all of the rebuilds that other 1903s experienced. They are less common than the regular M1903, but not rare.

Boolit Master
    they are an interesting addition to any 03 collection. I have one with a 43 barrel on it. although not rare thy are very hard to find. I have seen about 5 unaltered in the past 45 years. I also have a magazine and a few lose rounds for one.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had an unaltered one for awhile. someone else wanted to more than I did!!!

Boolit Master

Thanks guys, I picked this up today, can't wait to shoot it.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Buddy

I bough a very nice one at the Tulsa gun show some years ago. No device of course, but I seem to recall that a few escaped the destruction. They would be very $$$.

Boolit Master
    Main alteration to these after the Pederson device was dispensed with was returning the trigger mechanism to the original Springfield type.
    The M1 trigger had some sort of disconnect to prevent fully automatic firing when the Pederson device was installed.

If your rifle has the Mk 1 type trigger with kicker intact its worth more than if restored to the standard trigger.

Boolit Buddy
    I have often wondered if a reproduction Pederson device would sell. Chamber it in something like .32acp and sell it in a kit with the trigger parts and i think it took a different magazine cut off switch.

Boolit Master
    A reproduction of the Pederson device would likely require a disconnect built into the device itself to be legal otherwise it would turn a rifle into an SMG rather than a semi auto.

The various .22 LR conversion kits with chamber inserts for the AR-15 rifles are basically an updated Pederson device.

Boolit Man
    I found one a few years ago at a gun show. It still has a WWI barrel and shoots very well. I will have to check on the trigger....

Boolit Master
    by unaltered I meant bubba did not work his " magic."