Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feral Hog Hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    LD50 is lethal dose that kills 50% of rats. 0.012% dose. Dogs fed 5 days of nutrina killed by LD50 died, as did mink. Cats & other animals have some problem, with varying LD rates. LD is calc. by mg/kgm of body weight. Game birds, waterfowl, fish don't eat meat so no problem. No tests I could find on carnivorous birds. Pigs are very sensitive to it but you can't control how much they eat. I have no skin in this game, just providing info.
    Are you referring to warfarin or sodium nitrite?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Banned
    To All,

Our family owns a fairly-large farm in northeast TX & we have a "contracted hog trapper" out of NW OK, who catches the hogs & quarterly sends us a check for our piece of "the take".
    (My late Mother called it: My Christmas Fund.)

We've NOT had a "hog problem" since "Rachel Anne & hubby" showed up & started trapping.

yours, tex

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
    There's gotta be a pharmacist or doctor on here that can speak to the harm of us eating these poisoned pigs. I'm guessing we would have to eat a truckload to have a slim chance of it being a problem, but that's just a guess. I'm not a doctor, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Thanks, Dinny
    And I'm not a Dr but I play one on dating sites
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bronte454 View Post
    I grew up in TX lived there the last 43 yrs . I've been a Massachusetts resident for 8 months now (ughhh homesick) . Anyway hog hunting was difficult for me to find and I know ranchers and farmers who know each other from panhandle of Lubbock for 2 hrs North East and west and for 6hrs southeast . They are not everywhere but are in pockets all over . One rancher I worked with from Eden Tx he has several ranches around the area and only one had hogs on it which was down south of Menard Tx 45 miles away I've been down there many times . Always had a gun and never even saw a hog on the hoof till we trapped a 7lb piglet Woo-hoo. I've seen pictures from there big round pen trap that has had 15 hogs at a time in it . I've seen pictures from the hunters who have knocked down a few . They pass through on a circuit and no telling when that will be . I've killed exactly 4 hogs in 43 yrs all running shots at full tilt with a 308 . Got lead in 3-4 others that were non recovered . The problem is unless you are working for one of these ranchers or are BFF with one they don't let you in to hunt . They make money off the hog hunting just like the deer hunting it is very difficult . I also saw an article about the wayfarin being approved and I agree this is a horrible idea . Don't know what the answer is but this isn't it . Maybe some day I will be down south of Menard Tx when the hogs come through and I hope I can load the back of the one tone dually full of pig . It is tasty . Minus the wayfarin I hope .
    ughh moved to MA ! That sucks coming from TX to here
    I'msorry to hear that

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

When I was younger you got a good trail dog(one that could stick his nose in a track and trail it)Most of the time we used some type of cur dog or hound they would trail stop and bay the hogs then the fun would begin.Some times we would bay the same group of hogs several times.As far as hog hunting I have no use for a pit bull some people use them for catch dogs but a good cur dog or hound will do the same thing.My favorite dog was a Plott and curdog mix.The cur dog would make the plott hound run a little faster.The plott hound had one of the best tracking nose around.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    When I was younger you got a good trail dog(one that could stick his nose in a track and trail it)Most of the time we used some type of cur dog or hound they would trail stop and bay the hogs then the fun would begin.Some times we would bay the same group of hogs several times.As far as hog hunting I have no use for a pit bull some people use them for catch dogs but a good cur dog or hound will do the same thing.My favorite dog was a Plott and curdog mix.The cur dog would make the plott hound run a little faster.The plott hound had one of the best tracking nose around.
    You are absolutely correct about that cross! They make a great hunting dog and I have made that cross many times with great result.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    You are absolutely correct about that cross! They make a great hunting dog and I have made that cross many times with great result.
    I had a little Jagdterrier (German hunt terrier) she was to 'hard' to have done this, she would have locked on the side of ones head and stayed til death, she weighed 15 pounds on a UPS drivers truck scale, I seen her kill a Coon one time that was 25-30 pounds by herself, She drug it up out of a hole, locked together face to face, a friend of mines plot and a black tan hound stood back and bayed while my little dog killed it! LOL, She was BRUTAL!

Boolit Bub
    I know a couple farm Jack Russell's that massacre groundhogs. It is terrifying to see the come back proud as can be, blood red from front to back. Other than that, sweetest little things.

Boolit Master

Just got back from a 2 day hog hunt 17 hours in a vehicle from North Dakota - cost 9 of us $100.00 a day (each) which included brunch, a bunk house, main cabin and a ride to and from elevated stands over bait. Price seemed more than fair but no one saw a hog during daylight hours and none of us had any form of night vision. Much like a deer camp - some days are good, some not so good relative to seeing game but always a good time to be had by all.

In my opinion one needs to have others pushing them a bit to increase your chances of seeing them. After watching a video on calling hogs - might give that a go if there's a next time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    I had a little Jagdterrier (German hunt terrier) she was to 'hard' to have done this, she would have locked on the side of ones head and stayed til death, she weighed 15 pounds on a UPS drivers truck scale, I seen her kill a Coon one time that was 25-30 pounds by herself, She drug it up out of a hole, locked together face to face, a friend of mines plot and a black tan hound stood back and bayed while my little dog killed it! LOL, She was BRUTAL!
    I had a Catahoula Leopard female that I tried to make a coon dog of. She would catch coons on the ground and kill them before they could get up a tree. She was mostly white so the blood looked awful but she never got a scratch. She only ever treed one time. When I got there she came off the tree and came by my side. It was near dark and I couldn't see the critter well but it was light colored and its tail was longer than it was.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 03-16-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123