MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Pro-Jector

Boolit Master

Hornady Pro-Jector

I inherited one from my Dad and use it to load pistol ammo, priming and powdering in separate operations.

The priming, powder dump and ejector parts have been removed. Oh and it has 2 each large and small primer tubes and a 9mm shellplate that we don't need.

Are these parts of any value?

Boolit Buddy

I use the same press. Once it is adjusted it works very well. I prime on a different press but it reloads great.

Boolit Buddy
    It's the progressive I use, but I did remove the priming system and added the case active powder drop. Works great for me, I load 38spc,357,40SW,9mm,300BLK,223Rem, 45ACP on this press...
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Buddy
    Have 2 Pro-7's been scrounging shell plates for them, been looking for a no.8, great presses
    and still keep working. Selling? just got to ask..

-Rock

In Remembrance

After I had my Pro-7 upgraded to a Projector I started removing some of the `Bells & Whistles` that didn`t always work right. I removed the priming station as I couldn`t always get it to locate the primer correct side up. Next was the auto powder drop. Sometimes it worked great, other times it would jam up. I removed the case kicker as it would sometimes THROW a loaded round across the loading room or jam on a round on the shell plate. Now I prime off press, still manually drop powder and remove the finished rounds. I have a dozen shell plates and use them all sometime during a year. I`ve sold the priming, powder drop and case kicker assemblies to other site readers for their presses. The biggest improvement I have done to the press is to install a 16" piece of 3/8" I.D. PVC tube over the existing spent primer tube and installed a larger `POP-TOP` pill bottle to catch more spent primers.Robert

Been happily using a projector press since I got it in the early 90's. Didn't like the auto powder drop as it isn't case activated. Had some trouble with the primer tube holder until I made a little brace for it shortly after buying it. Don't think I've had to adjust it since then, but I did have the little primer retainer spring break once. Got a replacement and it was back in business. The case ejector can be a little sticky with some surplus 9mm and 5.56 cases, especially if they've been shot out of a MG. Other than that no big issues. I got another set of primer tubes so I don't have to stop as often to load them up and have adjusted the ram pawls twice. Once about two years buying it and once again about 2010. I know I've loaded over 100k rounds of 45ACP alone with it, but have no real idea what the total number of rounds is.

Boolit Master

The Pro-Jector priming system is a pain to adjust, but not too bad... if you follow the instruction EXACTLY. The only time it "fails" for me is on the lats 2 primers, it may flip or hold back. Knowing that, I have zero problems priming.

The case ejector requires a little Oomph through that part of the lever swing. Knowing that, I have zero problems with ejection.

I'm very demanding on my finished product, so I use every station, and crimp separately from seating.

Supposedly Hornady will buy-back your Pro-Jector and put the money against their latest version. There is an extra cost to converting early shellplates. I like mine, have many, many shellplates that would also need upgrading... I have no plans to trade-in.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

I have had one since the about 1993. Mainly load 30 Carbine and 38 SPL on it now, but have loaded 22-6mm & 223 in quantity for prairie dogs . Also use it to form rifle brass for wildcats and use it to size / de-prime and flare rifle brass to load on my single stage presses. I love the 36 deg index per handle stroke.

A small amount of synthetic gear lube 140 wt on the actuator plate of the shell kicker works for several cycles. You need to be careful of the aluminum primer blast shield tube holder, the open section can easily bend and create a hole wallowing effect. Also some 140 wt gear lube on the angled surface of the swing-out primer arm actuator really helps. If dry the arm gets a vertical force which will begin to bend the arm.
    In addition I put a bamboo skewer in the brass primer tube to add weight to the primer column and to give me an idea of primer count.

I really dislike the Lock and Load bushings purely a marketing gimmick and would not trade my press in for the new style of press.

Here's the primer tube holder brace I put on mine the first week I had it. It supports the rather easily bent lollypop shaped hole and can add support the tube better which keeps everything aligned better. You can actually tighten the bracket up enough it will lock the tube in place, but I have it set so that it is just a little stiff installing/removing the primer tube.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockzilla View Post
    Have 2 Pro-7's been scrounging shell plates for them, been looking for a no.8, great presses
    and still keep working. Selling? just got to ask..

-Rock
    Sent you a PM Rock.

Yes, I am willing to sell the surplus parts. I'm quite happy with my current method of loading with it, hand priming and powder charging.

If you send the old pro jector to Hornady and $200 they will send you an LNL. If you have shell plates for it, for $10 ea they will machine them so they will work on your new LNL.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Iowa View Post
    Sent you a PM Rock.

Yes, I am willing to sell the surplus parts. I'm quite happy with my current method of loading with it, hand priming and powder charging.

Got it and responded...
    Thanks Rock

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    If you send the old pro jector to Hornady and $200 they will send you an LNL. If you have shell plates for it, for $10 ea they will machine them so they will work on your new LNL.
    That seems like a no brainer.

In Remembrance

I don`t think they still have this offer. I called about it and was told I had to return EVERYTHING that came on the press. For lack of anything they cheerfully charged you more. With so much missing from mine I opted out of any deal.Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    After I had my Pro-7 upgraded to a Projector I started removing some of the `Bells & Whistles` that didn`t always work right. I removed the priming station as I couldn`t always get it to locate the primer correct side up. Next was the auto powder drop. Sometimes it worked great, other times it would jam up. I removed the case kicker as it would sometimes THROW a loaded round across the loading room or jam on a round on the shell plate. Now I prime off press, still manually drop powder and remove the finished rounds. I have a dozen shell plates and use them all sometime during a year. I`ve sold the priming, powder drop and case kicker assemblies to other site readers for their presses. The biggest improvement I have done to the press is to install a 16" piece of 3/8" I.D. PVC tube over the existing spent primer tube and installed a larger `POP-TOP` pill bottle to catch more spent primers.Robert
    That sounds familiar. I use a long plastic tube on mine and direct the spent primers to a coffee can under the bench.

I looked on the Hornady site today and didn't see that offer, but I'll send them a email. It would still be neat to do, trade in a 25+ year old press and get a new one for $200 that can take case/bullet feeders. I have at least 8 of the shell plates that would need converted, and for $10 it's not worth my time to do it myself. Not so keen on the LNL bushings, so I'd rather just have the new ram head and primer set up if it's better. Too bad they just didn't make them use die heads.

When the press was sold it had a lifetime warranty I would think they will work with you. Hornady was exchanging Apex loaders that were pretty old for brand new 366's.

I looked on the Hornady site today and didn't see that offer, but I'll send them a email.
    I guess it's your machine but if it were mine I would call and talk with a person that made the deal happen with an "Attn ___/RMA #" to put on the box. If I didn't get the answer I wanted I'd call back later and talk to someone else.

The only people that put out "free stuff" signs work for the Government.

Boolit Buddy
    I had emailed & called about a year ago on this. It has to be complete anything missing and you get less towards a LNL-AP I went and ordered the LNL's from Jet, shell plates, etc. instead of gathering all the parts up, kept the presses anyway, just rounding up shell plates, they still work, and look almost brand new.

-Rock

I've got all the parts including the box. Don't have the bag and desiccant pack that the press was wrapped in or the brown vapor barrier paper that was on the bare steel handle though. Which brings up an interesting question. How much better is the LNL-AP over the projector and is it worth upgrading. Doubt I'd ever get the bullet feeder, but a case feeder seems like it would be helpful. I'm already getting 400-500rnds per hour if I hustle while loading pistol caliber rounds. What does the LNL-AP do and does it do it better/easier/faster?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast