Graf & SonsRotoMetals2Wisconsin TriggerTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationStainLess Steel Media

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger .45ACP/.45Colt Redhawk

Boolit Master

I believe the revolver community is very lucky to have people like DougGuy who does such fine work, by all reports, at such a reasonable rate. My hat is off to him, for sure!

These Rugers with undersize throats can go from terrible leading and inaccuracy to NRA Bullseye worthy (as far as accuracy is concerned) when treated appropriately with good tooling.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

had a 454 Alaskan cut for moon clips. It would shoot 45acps with smith 25 clips and 45colts and 454s with the supplied clips or without them. Accuracy wasn't anything to write home about with the 45acps and point of aim was so far off between acps the 454s that after a while I didn't bother even using acps. Sold the gun to a buddy of mine. Have to say though that it was a real good shooter for a 2.5 inch 454. Many one inch 25 yard groups with the 300 rcbs swcgc and ballistic cast 320lfngc. Shot 45 colts fairly well too but more like 2 inch.
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

Boolit Master Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    I'm curious if this can handle 45 win mag on moon clips, dimensionally it should work, and since it's a redhawk it should be strong enough, thoughts?
    "RCBS, Pacific, Lyman and many others furnish excellent dies and tools, but you must furnish the gray matter to produce perfect hand loads."

-Elmer Keith, Guns & Ammo, January 1982

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal Stumblebutt View Post
    I'm curious if this can handle 45 win mag on moon clips, dimensionally it should work, and since it's a redhawk it should be strong enough, thoughts?
    Unless you are a true masochist, you're likely to quit before the gun does. My approach was to look for a comfortable spot in the gaps in the loading manuals between where the .45 Colt maxes out and the .454 Casull gets started - which, incidentally, is where the .45 Win Mag lives. 10 grains of Unique behind 275 grains yielded about 950fps for me, and it's a touch beyond what I'd want to play with all day, but well below what the gun can handle.
    WWJMBD?

Buried in molds until covered with mold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12