RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: JC Higgins Model 60/High Standard

Banned

JC Higgins Model 60/High Standard

I've been coyote hunting with a shotgun lately and have managed to kill a couple. Have been using a Winchester 1300 and it's a good enough gun but very long and doesn't seem balanced very well to me.

I picked up this old JC Higgins which I believe is the Sears name High Standard Supermatic or something like that? Anyway, I took it out just to function test it and shot about a dozen shells through it, a some Winchester #8 bird shot and then some Estate #4 buck I bought for coyotes. Had a few failures to eject, always on the last round, it got better as I went, the last couple of "groups" rattled off all three without a hitch. So far, I like the gun, it is heavy, but seems well balanced to me, a not so knowledgeable shotgunner. It has a big ol' twisting adjustable choke and compensator on it, with an extra full setting (it says 65 yards, which seems optimistic), and shot tighter patterns with the buck shot than I'd have guessed.

I'll have to do a more serious patterning of it later, but I think it's gonna work out. I never thought I'd own an auto loading shotgun, but when I had three come in fast the other day, I thought it might be a good idea.

Any thoughts or experience with these guns?

Boolit Master

Those were some of the first gas operated semi autos I believe. Guessing the heavier loads will eject better than light loads. Oughtta be ok for what you're using it for. Give the action a good dose of WD-40. Also guessing you don't have much in it, so enjoy and shoot one for me!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned

It's kinda weird looking. The receiver and that big adjustable contraption on the muzzle, the rest is blued and it had a rather nice piece of checkered walnut on it.

I'm gonna keep working with it. I need to do some serious patterning. Seems like for coyotes, #4 buck shot ought to be the best overall compromise, but I may throw some #6s in it and squirrel hunt an evening or two with it this week just to get a feel for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Those were some of the first gas operated semi autos I believe. Guessing the heavier loads will eject better than light loads. Oughtta be ok for what you're using it for. Give the action a good dose of WD-40. Also guessing you don't have much in it, so enjoy and shoot one for me!
    Please don't use WD-40 on any action!!!! It might work immediately after but in the long run it will gum it up real bad!!!!