RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: RCBS 30-180-SP. Any one using this mold

Boolit Master

RCBS 30-180-SP. Any one using this mold

I needed to make a order to Midway so i picked up this mold while its on sale. I have a Patriot Valley Arms 26" 1/10 twist Bartling barrel at the gun smith being installed on my Ruger Precision.

I didnt have 2 grove 30cal mold. I kind of want a little extra lube for the long barrel.....

Any one loading this bullet in a 308?

Boolit Master
    first 30 cal mod I bought in 1983, now have 4 of them....mine cast .301 on the nose, .309 base, for the most, two of the molds cast .309-.3095...I size and lube at .311
    I have used this in 4 rifles chambered for 30-40 Krag, a Savage 308, and a couple 30-06's
    2 groove, 4 groove and 6 groove...mostly shot Cast Bullet Silhouette, at 200, 300, 385, 500 meters
    for 500M, the 314299 is a better performer, tried the RCBS 200Sil, with no luck in any of my rifles

powder mostly used is Reloader 7, Varget, IMR4350, H4895
    Hope this helps

Boolit Master
    I wont be shooting more than 200yds. Thanks for the information.

Banned

I got one but I drilled out the drive bands and made a tubing mold out of it for my 31 cal rifles.
    at 30-30 velocity's it will lay a deer down in it's tracks when you poke it through the upper shoulders.

I think it's gonna be my next powder coating project.

Boolit Master
    Very accurate .30 caliber bullet; used it in .308, .30-40, and .30-06 with great results.

Boolit Master
    The best bullet in my 30s and I've tried about all of them. I even had a single cavity nose pour clone that wouldn't out shoot it.

Moderator Emeritus

I have one; I use #546 top punch & Lyman Orange Magic lub in a Lyman 450 sizer, and boolits are sized to .309". I load quite moderate loads, with fair-good accuracy and no leading or other deleterious affects. Like other RCBS moulds -- a good one.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I have a good selection of .30 caliber moulds and prefer heavy bullets, using the accurate Lyman #314299 in most .30 caliber rifles. I've never done a side-by-side comparison, but would guess that the 30-180-SP (or 30-180-FN) will shoot just as well.

Boolit Man
    Yes and I like the mould and it shoots good in fact I have a container of 600 hundred rounds or so of unsized ones to be used when I get to it. Now remember Lyman #2 RCBS Lino Lee 10 to 1, if your alloy is softer than Lino as mine is(this batch is a no.#2 =) they should drop heavier and smaller. Mine drop just enough to do .311, I Use .310, both have noses of .302 or so and both drop a little different. I can't recall how much but expect it and it was fine with me anyway. If you need bigger you may have issues with their moulds if you don't follow their alloy guide lines, that goes for Lyman and Lee also, with that said I still like their mounds.

In Remembrance

Before my heart problems came on the scene several years ago I was experimenting using this mold as cast then paper wrapped and final sized to .314" for my Mosin. I only got to try 1 load of 20 shells and haven`t done any more since.Robert