RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Tree Locking mold handles

Perma-Banned

Cabin Tree Locking mold handles

Anyone use these? The original ones are steel and i read they are quite heavy, Cabin tree now makes an updated version, They are Aluminum and claim to weigh half the weight of the Steel ones, they also claim to have an updated feature for ease in adjusting them, Buffalo Arms website isn't working for me right now or i would copy what it says about these handles and post it here. I am curious about these handles? I have a Custom Paper Patch Mold being made right now from Accurate Molds, i was thinking about getting a set of these handles and designating them to this new mold. These handles are NOT cheap, 70 bucks! Are they worth it? If you own these and are familiar with them I appreciate any info you can give on them, I would like to hear some 'hands on experience' before i drop the 70 bucks on a set of them. Thanks
    Attachment 188177

wow, never heard of these! IN for more info.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Perma-Banned
    Before folks come on here with stuff like 'They are a waste of money' 'The best value in mold handles are the Lee 6 Cavity' Etc. etc. etc. Please remember that is not what i asked, nor do i care! Please keep this thread to knowledge/experience with these particular handles.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 3 sets of the steel ones 2 originals and 1 with the new adjuster. Personally I prefer the old style adjuster. The original was a stud with left and right hand threads. you loosened a lock screw and turned the stud to loosen or tighten the clamp pressure. when set you tightened the lock screw. Was simple to do even with the moulds hot. The new style is a piece of threaded rod and you have to loosen a lock nut then pull a cotter key and pin then open and turn the end yoke and completely reassemble to test it. They are great handles and provide a consistant clamp pressure every time. The other changes are now what used to be Yokes or actual joints are now piviots with shoulder bolts. The new ones are definitely cheaper to manufacture. I don't think Cabin Tree is making them now I think they sold out some items to a S&S manufacturering. Both work but as I said I prefer the originals. On a side note Ive seen several locking handles made from modified welders c-clamps also.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have 3 sets of the steel ones 2 originals and 1 with the new adjuster. Personally I prefer the old style adjuster. The original was a stud with left and right hand threads. you loosened a lock screw and turned the stud to loosen or tighten the clamp pressure. when set you tightened the lock screw. Was simple to do even with the moulds hot. The new style is a piece of threaded rod and you have to loosen a lock nut then pull a cotter key and pin then open and turn the end yoke and completely reassemble to test it. They are great handles and provide a consistant clamp pressure every time. The other changes are now what used to be Yokes or actual joints are now piviots with shoulder bolts. The new ones are definitely cheaper to manufacture. I don't think Cabin Tree is making them now I think they sold out some items to a S&S manufacturering. Both work but as I said I prefer the originals. On a side note Ive seen several locking handles made from modified welders c-clamps also.
    Thank you country gent!! I live a short distance from Buffalo Arms and go in there often, i will check both the steel and aluminum versions, probably not a chance they would have an old original set but i will definitely look. These handles make good sense, hand pressure on mold handles is nearly impossible to duplicate the exact same each time, that is obviously what these handles were designed to combat. I am not sure if Cabin Tree is the makers of these anymore either? I recently bought a Cabin Tree Lead Hardness Tester and i remember reading on Cabin Trees website something about selling part of the Co. or something like that? Thanks again for your reply!

Boolit Grand Master

I know they arnt making the handles My question was if it was S&S making them or who. I think the steel and aluminum are the same desighn just different materials. They are heavier and with my brass 2 cavities on them a real load, but after 4-5 sessions you don't really notice it as much. One draw back is changing handles during a session is more drawn out due to the tension needing to be set for each set of mould blocks. They arnt like Lee Lyman or RCBS where its 2 screws and go. A couple other little things I do is. 1) I shim the blocks to the handles to just .005 play this helps to pre alighn the blocks closer. I have a straight edge I rest the blocks on when closing again this helps to pre alighn the pins and blocks when closing. I normally cast 2 moulds together and rest the moulds as much as possible. I rest on edge of pot when pouring. They rest on the rack when Idle. I rest them closing them up. I do really like them and they are another tool in the search for consistency.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have a set of the originals I would sell delivered for $70. I don't use the big Postell mold anymore, so don't need mine.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    There's another company that makes a similar set of handles R&J custom you might want to look at them as well,they are sold by Shiloh Rifle co as well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I have a set of the originals I would sell delivered for $70. I don't use the big Postell mold anymore, so don't need mine.
    I'll take that deal, assuming your offer was to the forum in general. If other, let me know. PM coming.

Boolit Master
    I used them with a single cav. mold and it was just extra weight and extra time to open and dump the single bullet. May be okay with a 4 cav. but it just slows you down IMHO.

Boolit Bub

I also have one of the original steel handles that I got 3 years ago. I like them so much that I haven't use my Lyman or Lee handles since then. The reason I got them was because my hand and grip would get weak after spending all day casting. With this type of handle I can lock in the closing amount of mold pressure from the start and the handle will maintain it till I'm done for the day. Because the handle is made of steel they do have some weight to them so if I need a break I just set them down on my heat plate and rest my arm and hand for awhile. When I'm ready so is the mold and handle. I don't know anything about the newer style being sold today so I can't get any advice on them. As for myself these handles was one of the best casting tools I bought. Was money while spent. Hope this helps.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    There's another company that makes a similar set of handles R&J custom you might want to look at them as well,they are sold by Shiloh Rifle co as well.
    These look similar, but different to Cabin Tree's.
    R & J CUSTOM MOULD HANDLES
    https://shilohrifle.com/reloading-supplies/r-and-j-custom-mould-handles/
    https://shilohrifle.com/reloading-su...mould-handles/

So does the price.
    Last edited by Valley-Shooter; 02-19-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a set of the originals. They are definitely heavy. Adjustment is very limited. And they are really loose in the blocks. I beat up a couple NOE molds because of this fact. It beats up the alignment pin area. I use them every now and then. They didn't make a difference when it comes to bullet consistency.

Boolit Buddy
    I had an original. To heavy, to slow, and adjustment would change. Traded them for a set of Saeco handles and still think I got the better deal.

Boolit Master

I have 2 sets of the original ones and really like them. Some say these slow down their casting. As for me , I don't cast for speed but look for quality. With arthritis in both hands these handles help with the pain of keeping same pressure on mold while casting.
    Larry

Perma-Banned
    Since i started this thread i have spoken with a few knowledgeable local guys about these handles and they advised me AGAINST them, These guys work in the industy, I'll take their word for it and stick with the cheap handles.

Boolit Grand Master

Cabin Tree Locking mold handles

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Since i started this thread i have spoken with a few knowledgeable local guys about these handles and they advised me AGAINST them, These guys work in the industy, I'll take their word for it and stick with the cheap handles.
    What were their reasons? Have they actually used them?

Boolit Bub
    I have 6 of the originals, 1 new aluminum, and 1 new aluminum for larger molds. I run the old ones the most and love them. Two LBT 4 cavitiy molds running at a time. I set the molds down as I switch back and forth and can empty a 20 pound Lyman so fast I need to run a 20 pound Lee along side to keep up with melted alloy. The original works really well with the 4 cavitiy LBTs. The aluminum tend to get too hot.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    What were their reasons? Have they actually used them?
    Yes they have used them extensively, they claim if their is a problem with their molds these handles are the culprit 99.9% of the time. Could be user error? I didnt keep going on the subject. I have never used them, so I can't comment
    Last edited by 54bore; 02-20-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 sets, two from Cabine Tree and one from Buffalo. One of the two from Cabine works with 6 cavity molds. I think he did this just before he retired. I asked him about it a few months prior to that and I think that he made a few sets. The ones from Buffalo are more nicely finished but I can't use them on my big 6 cavity molds which is a problem.

I really wish they would modify the aluminum ones to handle 6 cavity molds....I would buy a pair then. Their adjustment is a lot nicer. The aluminum handles modified to work with 6 cavity molds would be terrific.
    [

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast