RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new most hated reloading task

Banned

new most hated reloading task

Its SMOKES fault. he got me into trying to cast some 22 bullets and coat them for my ars. I bought a 6 cav lee mold and two thousand gas checks. Got about a thousand bullets casted yesterday. I thought those tiny cavitys would make it a finiky mold but it actually casted pretty good. today I started putting on gas checks and running them through the sizer before they get coated. Well between the gas checks going on real tight and those tiny little bullets I said so select words I wouldn't repeat here. My big club fingers weren't designed for this task. Told the wife if someone invented a gas check installing too with a collator I would probably have mortgaged the house today to buy one! I have to keep telling myself that a 1000 bullets are going for over a 100 bucks and being retired I have nothing else to do in the winter

Boolit Master
    They are fiddley little devils but trimming brass is the worst job.

Boolit Master
    You can get 1,000 55 gr FMJ bullets for a good bit less than $100.00. That's why I have no intentions to ever cast for a 22 caliber rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    They are fiddley little devils but trimming brass is the worst job.
    'specially 30 Carbine. Even with a Giraud.

Boolit Master
    .22 gas-checks difficult? Try paper-patching .22 slugs!

Boolit Master

51 gr. .25 acp can be fun too.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Banned

id rather go to the dentist!
    Quote Originally Posted by .22-10-45 View Post
    .22 gas-checks difficult? Try paper-patching .22 slugs!

Banned

I guess part of my thought processes with this is to make it work then shelf it. the big reason I wanted to cast 22s is the future group buy for the 100 grain 223 bullet so that I can shoot my ars subsonic. Theres a method to my madness with this 55 grain thing. Someday the 223 bulk bullets might dry up or God forbid we get someone like Hillary elected and they put the screws to us handloaders. With that mold, some gas checks (if it got real bad I could even shoot them without) and some of smokes black I could at least keep shooting my ars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    You can get 1,000 55 gr FMJ bullets for a good bit less than $100.00. That's why I have no intentions to ever cast for a 22 caliber rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I have the molds and have shot plenty of them. But that's out of a bolt action. I have no desire to shoot cast out of an AR. I will pay the price of admission for Sierra Match Kings. All but one of my ARs have 1:7 barrels so trying to shoot cast wouldn't be optimal.

I have smaller hands and find installing gas checks tedious. I get a lot more checks from the same amount of material but that's about the only advantage. Even handling jacketed 22s can be frustrating. Buying a 1050 strictly to load for the ARs has a lot of appeal.

Boolit Master

this is why I ponied up and bought the dies from btsniper to turn 22lr into ar rounds, I think it will be easier than messing with coating the little buggers.

Banned

Not shooting in an AR, but cast .22s are fun in the Hornet and .222. Good small game loads too.

Boolit Master
    Could your method be the problem? I cast lots of 60 grain cast for 223 Remington. I tumble lube the cast bullets (Ben's) and let them dry very little. Next, I spread the checks out on the workbench. I take a lubed bullet, put in on top of a check that is sitting on the bench, push it in a little (it sticks to the lube) then run it through my Lee sizer. Quick and easy-- even for my fat fingers, since I never have to pick up the check.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Yeah well, try working with the NOE 225107 bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    A few months ago, one of our Vendor Sponsers had 6000 Horandy 55 gr SP bullets for $425 (or thereabouts). Just over $70/1000 delivered. It was a no brainer for me.

I have two new MiHec molds. Lloyd has a point about being prepared. I will likely take the time to develop a cast load that works this year and then put the molds away until the SHTF. As long as jacketed bullets are available at reasonable cost, dealing with cast 22's is not for me.

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Too hard to handle tiny bullets and gas checks. Thats why I went 300blk.

Boolit Master

I use jacketed for my AR but cast for my bolt gun.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master
    The worst part for me is turning all the teeny tiny gas checks so the open end is up. I wonder if a primer flipper tray would work with gas checks? I don't see any reason it shouldn't, do you guys?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    The worst part for me is turning all the teeny tiny gas checks so the open end is up. I wonder if a primer flipper tray would work with gas checks? I don't see any reason it shouldn't, do you guys?

Robert
    I use a lee flipper it works for me.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    'specially 30 Carbine. Even with a Giraud.

Amen to that!!!!!

Banned

I just dump 500 on the table and use the ones that are flipped right and when there all gone scoop them up and drop them back on the table and repeat until there gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post

Robert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast