RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCI MiniMag

Banned
    Part of the equation for me is that I reload 22lr. I have been plugging away at the process, trying to make it better and quicker. I am at the point now that, I could easily have enough for myself by just reloading. I can reload them now for well under 2 cents per round. I bought too much priming compound at a high price. So the ones I make with that will be a bit over 2 cents per round. These are the costs:
    35 grain bullet = 200 bullets per lb of lead. A pound of lead is a dollar.That is .5 cent per bullet. 2 grains of gunpowder per round = 3500 rounds per lb of powder. A pound of powder is $20. That is .57 cents per round for powder. I bought a mess of roll caps for primer (which I wish I hadn't) they cost $3.00 for 2400. I use 8 per round (maximum, can use 6 per round) which is .5 cents or less per round. The empty cases (when I buy them from the range) are $1.20 per lb. which is about 500 cases, which is about .25 cent per case.
    totaling.... 0.5 cent per for powder + 0.57 cent per of lead + 0.5 cent for primer + 0.25 cent for the case. 1.82 cents per round. At maximum prices for all components. With less expensive components and the reality of getting cases free, if I were to need to make these for an extended period of time the cost would come down to more like 1 cent per round. A penny a round is the correct price for 22lr in my estimation.

Boolit Buddy
    I said if I won the lottery I'm gonna build a 22LR factory and drive the price to $0.03

Banned
    You are correct about the price of primers. CRAZY. I priced them out last week at the one place that sells them in my town. Cheapest small pistol primers (or any primers for that matter) was $3.99 for a hundred. Was there yesterday, price went up to $4.39 per hundred. So the cheapest primers to reload for my 9mm are 4.4 cents per round. I think that at least part of the high price is from overzealous Hazmat regulations. The cost of shipping primers is nuts. And the stores that sell them have to pay that also. Hopefully another regulation that our new President will correct. It these prices don't come down substantially, I will reload primers.

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Just curious, assuming you reload, what are you paying for primers these days? I only started reloading around '04 and they were about 1.8 cent each. After Obama, they are pushing 4cent each. I have to pay that or I will not get any.

I have found non-plated .22lr at Academy for about $2.50 for 50 rounds on occasion. Not mini-mags, but only 5cent a piece.

Rosewood

CCI Mini Mags are consistently the best .22ammo IMO. They are $7 per hundred here & I buy them. Best, Thomas.

Banned
    It's good to know that $7 a hundred is not an abberation. Hopefully they will keep going down in price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    CCI Mini Mags are consistently the best .22ammo IMO. They are $7 per hundred here & I buy them. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not a bad price for MiniMag these days. The days of sub $10 a brick are long gone. Even sub $20.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    If that price was for CCI minimag hp's I would be all over that like white on rice. Much more accurate than bulk bargain basement ammo. Even if they were solids I would buy at the mentioned price. CCI has never been cheap like budget priced less accurate ammo and that is a decent price.

Ask yourself when you had your last CCI misfire. Given all that I mentioned above tell me again why you passed this up?

Banned
    I have a couple thousand rounds of 22lr. I reload 22lr. I did not realize how good these mini mags were. Next time maybe I will get some. But, I have never has a Remington or Winchester misfire on me either. They seem like plenty good ammo to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    If that price was for CCI minimag hp's I would be all over that like white on rice. Much more accurate than bulk bargain basement ammo. Even if they were solids I would buy at the mentioned price. CCI has never been cheap like budget priced less accurate ammo and that is a decent price.

Ask yourself when you had your last CCI misfire. Given all that I mentioned above tell me again why you passed this up?

Just bought an air rifle that will shoot .22 at 1.8 cents per shot. Nothing else needed except a strong arm. It is doing aprox 1000 fps with a 14.3 gr pellet. Uses one of those nitro piston's for power. It does take power to cock it, but it is not that bad. You just have to want to shoot it bad enough to expend the effort. And I bought enough pellets to last me a while. Sitting on 5k of them for now. I can afford to walk down to my basement and shoot 3 shot groups a couple of times a day for some time to come.

I do have to admit though that running rounds through the Ruger Mk III's is fun.

Boolit Master
    Plus One on the air gun option.

Heres a clue to why the price of ammunition would increase over the years regardless of demand.

http://www.infomine.com/investment/m...es/copper/all/

Banned
    I see that lead prices were pretty stable at around 20 cents per pound from 1998 to 2003. That being the case, they could go down to that price again as Trump fixes the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    Plus One on the air gun option.

Heres a clue to why the price of ammunition would increase over the years regardless of demand.

http://www.infomine.com/investment/m...es/copper/all/

Banned
    My brother got a nice air rifle used from a guy for $50. I think it was a Gamo whisper. I offered him my brand new Mossberg 702 Semi auto 22lr for an even trade. He laughed at me.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Just bought an air rifle that will shoot .22 at 1.8 cents per shot. Nothing else needed except a strong arm. It is doing aprox 1000 fps with a 14.3 gr pellet. Uses one of those nitro piston's for power. It does take power to cock it, but it is not that bad. You just have to want to shoot it bad enough to expend the effort. And I bought enough pellets to last me a while. Sitting on 5k of them for now. I can afford to walk down to my basement and shoot 3 shot groups a couple of times a day for some time to come.

I do have to admit though that running rounds through the Ruger Mk III's is fun.

Boolit Master
    Lead prices have gone down a lot recently. I checked about 2 years ago and the scrap yard was giving .28 per lb for lead wheel weights. Checked last week, down to .18 cent per lb.

Not sure the Hazmat is the reason for high primer prices. Seems the Hazmat fee that Fedex and or UPS were charging has dropped from $25 or so to $20 or something like that I believe. It has to be the manufacturer or the middle man adding on more of a cut. Not sure if their raw material is costing them more or if they are inflated because of demand.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

When I was a child .22LR was about a dollar for 50. I made every shot count with Dad's 511 Remington. I'm kind of getting back to that mindset. And no, as previously posted, I've never had a MiniMag dud-unlike RenWinFed. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Candy bars were a nickel too. I also remember saving 55 cents for a box of Winchester shorts when I was 9. 1958

Boolit Master

And every hardware store, candy store and gas station had a little rimfire ammo display.

I bought 1500 rounds of mini mags at 9.99 x 100 sometime back. I've seen them cheaper since. I'd rather have bullets than dollars.

I have horded some 9000 - CCI mini mag hp, 2000 - stingers and 1000 velocitators that I got for a penny a round when my mother, god rest her sole, worked for them in Lewiston back in the 90's. I think I'm going to get them insured next week just to be safe. I use them for hunting and buy the cheap (expensive) stuff for shooting cans.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    Yup better insure them for about $20k. Or make one of those little 22cal miniguns that we see on youtube. They would last you about an hour. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I have horded some 9000 - CCI mini mag hp, 2000 - stingers and 1000 velocitators that I got for a penny a round when my mother, god rest her sole, worked for them in Lewiston back in the 90's. I think I'm going to get them insured next week just to be safe. I use them for hunting and buy the cheap (expensive) stuff for shooting cans.

Boolit Grand Master
    "But, I have never has a Remington or Winchester misfire on me either"

Not to sound snarky, but if you have never had Remington rimfire ammo misfire on you…..you haven't shot much Remington ammo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast