RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: That gun you can't own

My budget keeps my imagination focused on one caliber that I don't have but would like to own. My wife and budget keeps the excitement going.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Banned
    The gun I can't own is a Colt 1911 .45 as issued. I live in the UK and pistols are, basically, banned. I don't much care for pistols, and can't shoot one worth a damn, but there's something about a Colt 1911 (as recommended by Jeff Cooper, another of my heroes) that really calls me. The only way I could every get an approximation legally is if I could find all the component parts that have never been assembled, including a 12" barrel (!) and a rod to permanently fix to the rear. Legislation requires that such a firearm must have a 12" barrel and be 24" overall length. (30cm and 60cm). If I got one I would be permanently gazing at hacksaws though.

Boolit Master
    Years ago a local gunshop had Freedom Arms make them what they called the Alaska Master Guide series, it was a 5 1/2" barreled FA 83 454 that had been magnaported, I think they had 25 made. My buddy had one of them and had the grip roundbutted. My buddy was also generous about letting me shoot his guns.

The gun was both a perfect fit in my hand, and I could shoot it to it's accuracy potential, one of the few guns I've shot and instantly thought man I'd love one of these. As is often the case, when the gun was available for sale I was well short of funds.

Boolit Master
    A Remington 700 in '.375 Whelen Improved'. Would just love to have it, but will never have the incentive to make it happen financially.
    .35's make much more sense and I'm well-stocked with those already, so ...

Oh, and a .357B&D on a Ruger 77/44 action.
    Already have the 77/357 & 77/44, so it's difficult to justify the extra $$$.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 02-16-2017 at 04:34 PM.

1907 Roth Steyr. I could probably swing the enormous amount a nice one would cost but I can't justify the cost for a gun that probably ain't reliable, difficult to reload for and probably ain't all that accurate to boot. Where one would expect to get replacement parts should something break is beyond me.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

When I was a teenager my step father had a Dan Wesson 357 with the 10 inch barrel. He ended up selling it and for the past 25 years I have been wanting a Dan Wesson. Ended up getting a 6 inch 44 mag last year. A couple months ago I was in a LGS and they had a 357 with an 8 inch and a 2 inch barrel for 575.00. For some reason I walked out without it and a couple days later it was sold. Another one was a Dan Wesson 445 supermag my manager owned at the shooting range I worked at.

Quote Originally Posted by UKShootist View Post
    The gun I can't own is a Colt 1911 .45 as issued. I live in the UK and pistols are, basically, banned. I don't much care for pistols, and can't shoot one worth a damn, but there's something about a Colt 1911 (as recommended by Jeff Cooper, another of my heroes) that really calls me. The only way I could every get an approximation legally is if I could find all the component parts that have never been assembled, including a 12" barrel (!) and a rod to permanently fix to the rear. Legislation requires that such a firearm must have a 12" barrel and be 24" overall length. (30cm and 60cm). If I got one I would be permanently gazing at hacksaws though.
    Come to Texas. We'll give you one for the duration of your visit! Best, Thomas.

Perma-Banned

The one gun I wish I had back at least was my Browning Safari in 338 Win mag. It had the most beautiful stock I have ever seen. I sold it when my kids were young and eating was more important.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    A friend has a BPS I shot a few times . So I bought my own . It wasn't until the stock got a little bit of wiggle in it that we really clicked and when we did sheer delight . I kept that 1 , it's well worn now .

I have a stable but apparently quirky mount that is so boringly average that nearly any 12.5"-13.5" length of pull with no cast fits close enough that a dozen or so mounts have me meeting up .

There was a 445 but after 5 rounds of full tilt the grip fit didn't matter .
    I find that they either fit right or feel right it is very rare even with my boringly average self that I find perfection maybe 1 or 2 guns ever...
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    This doesn't happen often to me but here goes: A few years ago a friend asked if I would sell him my Ruger 77 featherwight in .30-06. He told me that a rifle just like mine was one he shot his first elk with. Well, In a weak moment and with 2 other .30-06's in my safe, I sold him my Ruger 77. Fast forward about 5 years and he says he never shoots the gun and would like to know if I wanted it back. I said I sure did! I ended up trading him another .30-06, a Remington 700 Mtn rifle for my old Ruger 77. I'll never let that one go again. It shoots cast very, very well unlike the 700 Remington I traded. He said he didn't care because he didn't shoot cast anyway and just wanted a .30-06 in his safe.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    There are two guns I want to add to my accumulation . One is a Parker GH or VH 28 gauge on a 00 frame with 26" or 28" barrels . Ive had several in my hands that would fit the bill and generally two things come between me and them . Either they aren't for sale or if they are I can't afford them .

The second gun I'd like is a Parker EH 10 gauge on a #2 frame with factory original 24" , 26" or 28" barrels . Now the biggest issue with acquiring one of these is the fact that only about 100 guns were made in the three lengths combined and as of yet I've not had my hands on any that fit the parameters !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Hmmm, revolvers I'd like to own, but unlikely. A Colt SAA .38WCF or .44spl. 7.5" barrel made in 1906, (the year dad was born).

Self loading pistol...there's a few I'd like to shoot, just because I haven't shot one, like a Luger, Mauser C-96, but don't have to own them, just like to shoot them once.

Maybe a Fox or older high quality light double in 20ga.

Too many rifles to list, but the one I'd really like to find again that I let go would be the FN-49 sniper, .30-06 I had in the 80's.

Boolit Master
    I really want a CLEAN example of a Manurhin MR73. Preferably the 6" target model and bonus points if it comes with the rare 9mm conversation cylinder. My wallet would be smoldering if I come across one. Perhaps after I get back from my work trip Abu Dhabi. Its a revolver on par with a Korth but id rather have the Manurhin.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    For me, it's two different guns. The first was a Browning over/under in 20 ga. It was step-dads. It seemed that I couldn't miss with that shotgun. He and my mom divorced a few years later, and I never saw it again. I know, I can go find one and buy it, but not the same.

The other is an HK MP5. I live in CA, it's not going to happen!! Plus, who can afford a transferrable MP5 these days! $$$$ OUCH $$$$ Boy, to jump in a time ship and go back to 1985....

Boolit Grand Master
    I would like an M1A, just like the M-14 I carried in boot camp 45 years ago. I look every time I go in to the fun store, but they are always just about $200 more than I can afford to spend.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Mine is a Mateba Unica 6 in 357 magnum. I have a coonin classic to go with my security six and blackhawk. And I have a Ruger 77 in 357, so that Mateba would sure be cool.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have seen the opposite as well. But only with shotguns.

People will borrow a shotgun, or shoot a loaner from one of the bigger retailers at a major shoot. They shoot a phenomenal score and buy the gun or one just like it. Once they own it, they never duplicate their first time performance.

I think with a new gun, and the desire to shoot it well, they tend to focus and shoot well. Once they own it, the ether has worn off, and they return to normal.

Sometimes, that "perfect" gun does not work out.

Don Verna
    Don Verna

Banned
    To All,

Just 2 days ago, I was "afflicted with gun LUST" when I was shown a SxS Westley Richards "Best Quality" .577 Nitro Express double-rifle for close to 100,000.ooUSD.
    (The only nice thing about seeing it is that I don't have to ever expect to afford such a fine rifle, so I can safely daydream of it.)

yours, tex

Boolit Buddy

IWANT A BARRETT 50 BMG , DONT NEED IT , BUT i WANT ONE , BUT AT THE PRICE IT IS, IT WOULD BE FOOLISH INVESTMENT FOR ME TO MAKE , so i will keep one wanting one ,.... hoping that someday someone needing beer and party money , I can pick one up for a couple hundred bux .....dream on
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

For me it was many years ago ,I was at a small sporting goods store I use to get some of my reload supplies at and had my dad with me at the time and they had a WW2 German Ruger in the show case. For what they wanted for it I did not had the money to get and told my dad get me out of here. He had his eye on it also after.Also anther one is the M1 ,main reason is I have one of my mom's brothers manual on it of WW2 .Also one of my close friends got himself one and he left me shoot it. I shot great. Next time he come here I will help him load some ammo for it since he never reload before .and he dose not have the gear to do it.We where room mates when we where in navy school many years ago.He had his eye on the manual also I got.
    Made a spelling mistake on What i ment Not Ruger but Luger I ment
    Last edited by trapper9260; 02-19-2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Miss spell one thing
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast