MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxPBcastcoTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can Swedish blank powder be salvaged?

Boolit Master
    Are you guys so desperate for powder that you would even contemplate a stunt like using an unknown blank powder? If so, we'll pass the hat to buy you some canister powder.

Boolit Grand Master
    I can't believe this one continues.

Which part of NO is not clear on this one ?

Boolit Master
    I'm sure it was neither the N nor the O, but a bit of curiosity developed about what was used, and why "no" is usually the correct answer.

EC blank was totally different from the then popular EC shotgun powder. They were from time to time confused by people who can't bear to look gift horses in the mouth, even if the military didn't quite realise they were giving it. General Hatcher describes an incident when someone left a piece of extremely good Lefever barrel lodged in the woodwork of a range, and walked off whistling I a nonchalant manner. General Hatcher didn't come down on the side of mental disorientation or of not wanting to admit he had made a colossal booby of himself. But I believe both possibilities occurred to him.

Boolit Master
    But But what about those blanks used in the M1?

I just happen to have a large paper bag with them all in bandoleers and steel clips.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman456 View Post
    But But what about those blanks used in the M1?

I just happen to have a large paper bag with them all in bandoleers and steel clips.
    Can you dump the powder in one onto a sheet of paper and take a picture of it and then post it?

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    I'm sure it was neither the N nor the O, but a bit of curiosity developed about what was used, and why "no" is usually the correct answer.

EC blank was totally different from the then popular EC shotgun powder. They were from time to time confused by people who can't bear to look gift horses in the mouth, even if the military didn't quite realise they were giving it. General Hatcher describes an incident when someone left a piece of extremely good Lefever barrel lodged in the woodwork of a range, and walked off whistling I a nonchalant manner. General Hatcher didn't come down on the side of mental disorientation or of not wanting to admit he had made a colossal booby of himself. But I believe both possibilities occurred to him.
    I suspect this why alot of these treads continue, more and more details emerge that don't pertain directly to the original post but are exceptionally cool info.

Can Swedish blank powder be salvaged?

Got those curios of what these rounds look like.

Pic of Swedish gallery ammo (Kammararpatron M/12)

Last edited by Stewbaby; 04-11-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Wood bullet blanks (Los Patron M/14)

Boolit Master
    Many of these threads continue collecting totally unsupported anecdotes about totally irrelevant horror stories instead of objective ways to make the right decision.
    Rather than study and analyze, the unwilling to test types say throw it away. That is not exactly a learning approach.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I suspect this why alot of these treads continue, more and more details emerge that don't pertain directly to the original post but are exceptionally cool info.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Opinion seems divided on whether we are studying and analysing too much, or studying and analysing too little. I think we are studying and analysing just about right, and pretty safe from self-immolation by now.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow! If I had that powder I think I'd save it for breaking rocks, from a safe distance!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    I guess I find this whole thread a bit confusing. The same site that suggests duplexing really slow military cannon powders with pistol powders is safe, seems to think that the idea of using a blank powder for anything is stupid? I'm not suggesting that the blank powder is safe to use as a propellant but there seem to be some really extreme ideas here.
    For those who believe duplexing is a great idea (I'm not one of them) the blank powder might be great for an initiator. It is not any more of an explosive than unique, bullseye or N310. All of them have nitro-glycerine and are composed of nitrocellulose which is an explosive if detonated, a propellant if ignited. None of the smokeless powders come close to the unconfined burn rates of black powder despite hotplate testing by some folks. None of the powders used in modern blanks or live rounds are really explosive with primer ignition. All of the blank powders used in europe have been used by someone somewhere for making low power gallery type loads whether the factory believes its a good idea or not. Gunwriters on the web has some excellent articles concerning this very thing.
    I guess I just find it strange that the folks on this website who'll go out and buy powders not intended for the uses they put them to will start ragging on some poor guy for suggesting the same idea.

Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Frank, if you do a little research those of us who are duplexing 50BMG and slower powders are using a couple of grains of something no faster that 4198 or 3031 to do it. Vastly different from powers that are not even consistent in their composition or burning speed.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Check out this thread about the Swedish "mystery powder":

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?45570-Mystery-6-5-Swede-Powder

Boolit Master

Want to revive this, still using the Swede powder here but now for light loads in 43 Mauser around 14g with a square TP filler. Shoots great.

Also using 5.5 grains in a 38 short Colt police positive. Very good power I’ll probably work it back down to 5 grains and Call it good. This powder is NOT the same as Unique but is similar. Also, it was made by different factories and burn rates may vary between lots a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I can't believe this one continues.

Which part of NO is not clear on this one ?
    Older thread I know, but my humble suggestion is that any members here who have the comparable knowledge & experience of Sharpe & Hatcher, could be qualified as to conducting experiments on these lines.
    Anyone ... anyone ... ?

(Having read both Sharpe & Hatcher; my thoughts are, not many here, unfortunately.)

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Blanks are designed to make a satisfying 'bang' without the containment of a projectile. As such, the powder must burn almost instantaneously and to confine it can cause a detonation. I doubt if the stuff even has a pressure curve......or if it does it probably goes straight up.

The only method of determining the characteristics of an unknown powder is described in Earl Narramore's book "Principles and Practices of Reloading".....long out of print. He gives a careful step by step process whereby the reloader can figure out if the powder is too fast, too slow, etc. and whether it's even suitable for reloading. At the end of this however, he cautions the reader to stay away from any powder that proves to be too fast as it's probably FROM BLANKS.

Every other reloading book I have (some going back to the early thirties) specifically says NO to using blank powder for anything related to a bullet, period. Both Phil Sharpe and Hatcher's Notebook say it's poison. Play it safe and dispose of the powder. [...]
    Honestly, I can't think of any of my firearms that have so little value as to justify experiments with ~$100 "worth" of potential explosives ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123