WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt-2

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=No Blue;3966636]
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post

Look at the rest of the thread; the peeps with Green stuff are not happy campers. Doesn't work. I don't have much green, so I don't know if it works. But I doubt it.
    Hmm.. I have a Pro-Melt, bench mount swager, a couple of lock-out dies and a few other Green pieces and I'm happier than a pig in carp.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master

Not surprised "it looks cheap". I think the photo in the original post is a rather basic photo chop job, a mockup of the proposed product.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=1bluehorse;3966229]
    Quote Originally Posted by No Blue View Post
    The fact that the whole thing is made in China tells you how they were able to get the price down.

That, and maybe all the stuff Lee sells in the same market at a considerably lower price for similar performance; that would have pushed them toward a lower price point.

Do you have confirmation that "the whole thing is made in China" or are you just starting a rumor to that effect to the detriment of a fine company. If there is proof that RCBS is now making their Pro Melts in China let's see it, other wise the statement has no value. As far as the Lee Pro 20/17lb having "similar" performance, the only thing the two have in common is they will both melt lead. I do believe the Lee pots ARE a great value for what you get, but that's about it.
    Two different reports in this thread about one made in China, and another made in the USA. Both bought in the last six months. More recent was China. So it kinds of looks like they're going east. The presses have been made in China for a couple of years, at least from what I've read. Really hard to ignore how much cheaper you can get the same product made over there, compared to US production. So I think I'm not jumping the gun by saying it's coming out of the orient. But we'll see in a bit, won't we?

Lee is still 100% made in Wisconsin. I wonder how they do it?

I think they have 'similar' performance. Both 20#, both bottom pour, use 120v. If the green one had a robotic arm that placed the mold under the pot, lifted the valve arm, and then emptied the mold, THAT would be different. But it doesn't have that. It just melts the lead and lets you open the spout to fill the mold. Just like the Lee at $62.00.

But green is about $340 to your door....that for sure is not similar.

I got a green lock out die and trigger gauge, those were decently priced and functional. But way too much of their stuff is over priced for what you get.

There's a really interesting article about the history of Lee in the '92 Handloaders Digest. Green, orange, other red, blue, etc. were real happy with Lee until they started making dies and then presses. Lee got peeps started in reloading, then needed more than the whack a mole Lee Loader, so they bought all the other colors.

But when Lee started to compete with the rest of them, that was when Lee became the enemy. I got green and orange reloading manuals that list all the different color shell holders for various cartridges; except Lee.

Do you know that Lee made Safety Scales in green, blue, orange, and red plastic 25 years ago? Even then he was trolling them....I'd like to have the complete set.

And the other thing I never understood is the obsession with the user screwing something up and getting a free part from the vendor. When I bought all my stuff 20+ years ago, I had no idea that was the norm in the reloading biz. Lee had a 2 year warranty, which made sense and I never needed it. But the green and blue peeps ALWAYS mention they get 'free' parts. They're not 'free'; you paid for them in the inflated price you paid for the tool.

Rant off.

I did need the warranty service from Lee and got screwed. Maybe what I choose to use costs more, but at least I don't have any problems getting warranty service.

And again you cite that RCBS presses are made in China based on what you read, but have no actual experience with them. Where did you read it? Was it a credible source? You read all sorts of "stories" on the internet.

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS presses are not made in China. This is one of those rumors that doesn't want to die. RCBS has stated they are made in the US. Their digital scales are made in China. But seeing as how it's impossible to buy one that's made w/ 100% US parts it makes sense.

Let's wait and see where this new pot is made. Speculating about it is foolish. And I don't see why Lee has been brought into the conversation. No one knows where it's been made so touting Lee's being made in the US serves no purpose.

Boolit Master
    My old RCBS Pro Melt has given me years of good service and unlike me everything on the Pro Melt still works like new after tens of thousands of pours. So I guess I will just keep the old pot and see who dies first.

Banned

"RCBS presses are not made in China. This is one of those rumors that doesn't want to die."

For a short time some press frames were outsourced to China. This fact is why the "rumors" persist.

Boolit Grand Master

Were they? I thought their answer was that they never were and that is was a rumor.

Banned

It was short lived. Frames cast in China and finished here. RCBS reverted back in short order.

There was an article in Handloder about it. The argument about rumor or fact is pretty well laid out here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch.../t-132083.html
    Last edited by jmort; 02-28-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "RCBS presses are not made in China. This is one of those rumors that doesn't want to die."

For a short time some press frames were outsourced to China. This fact is why the "rumors" persist.
    Thanks Jmort, I knew I had seen that on numerous other forums, but I wasn't aware that it was a short time deal. Reloading peeps are really strident about cast iron; US made cast iron!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    I did need the warranty service from Lee and got screwed. Maybe what I choose to use costs more, but at least I don't have any problems getting warranty service.

And again you cite that RCBS presses are made in China based on what you read, but have no actual experience with them. Where did you read it? Was it a credible source? You read all sorts of "stories" on the internet.
    Now that Jmort has established there were Chinese green presses, I'm really curious about how Lee screwed you in your warranty claim. Within the stated 2 year period? Or outside? Love to know.

When you consider how little Lee charges, there can't be much of a warranty fund built into the price; not like green or blue. Lee is materials, labor, markup and it's out the door. I still see newbs axing about how Lee can sell cheaper than all the other colors and if they're legit.

So tell us the gory details!

Lee pro 1000 purchased from factory sales. Showed up with no turret to install the dies in. Called Lee and they said it did not come with a turret. Called Factory Sales and they said it was supposed to. They sent me one and said they would deal with Lee. Real quality control there and a good way to support your customers. I ended up not liking the pro 1000 anyway and sold it on ebay for almost what I paid for it. I have tried most of Lee's presses and found them lacking. I keep what I like and get rid of what I don't. The only Lee press remaining in my house is a Lee Classic Cast single stage. The only Lee press worth keeping. Lee dies on the other hand are very good.

I bought a used RCBS sizing die in .223. I broke a decapping pin in it. I could not find any in stock locally or online at the time. So I called RCBS and asked them if I could buy some directly from them. They took my mailing address and name and said some would be in the mail after they found out which die it was. I asked them if they wanted my credit card to pay for them and they said no charge. I received a few days later an inner assembly that holds the decapping pin and a package of pins. I have been buying RCBS equipment ever since. New and used.
    Last edited by VHoward; 03-01-2017 at 12:59 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    Lee pro 1000 purchased from factory sales. Showed up with no turret to install the dies in. Called Lee and they said it did not come with a turret. Called Factory Sales and they said it was supposed to. They sent me one and said they would deal with Lee. Real quality control there and a good way to support your customers. I ended up not liking the pro 1000 anyway and sold it on ebay for almost what I paid for it. I have tried most of Lee's presses and found them lacking. I keep what I like and get rid of what I don't. The only Lee press remaining in my house is a Lee Classic Cast single stage. The only Lee press worth keeping. Lee dies on the other hand are very good.

I bought a used RCBS sizing die in .223. I broke a decapping pin in it. I could not find any in stock locally or online at the time. So I called RCBS and asked them if I could buy some directly from them. They took my mailing address and name and said some would be in the mail after they found out which die it was. I asked them if they wanted my credit card to pay for them and they said no charge. I received a few days later an inner assembly that holds the decapping pin and a package of pins. I have been buying RCBS equipment ever since. New and used.
    I agree with you that Lee dropped the ball; all the progressive presses come with turrets. I wonder about the person you spoke to at Lee and how long they had been there. My inclination is to go above their head to the next level of management. I was a customer service rep for 17 years, and I encouraged somebody that didn't agree with me to go over my head and talk to management. With that much experience, I had a pretty good idea what was legit and what was not.

I got 4 different Lee presses; Loadmaster, Classic turret, Challenger single stage, and the C frame whatever it's called. They all work. It's not a real complicated action; up and down....

If you mangle a Lee depriming pin, I've read they'll send one free of charge. I've never pranged one, so I don't know.

I avoid that by using my DIY depriming gizmo where I put new once fired brass in a wood block and fish for the flash hole with a DIY pin and hammer. This eliminates the berdan and other primer screw ups that bend depriming pins.

Boolit Master

The Rock Chucker Supreme is the most iconic RCBS item. The new boxes sitting on the shelves at my LGS says made in USA. As did mine when I bought it years ago. As did my Pro 2000. My Pro Melt purchased in 2016 said made in the USA as does the LAM 2 that I asked about very recently. There are persistent claims of Chinese manufacture, but seem to be rooted in rumor for the most part. I believe that I've seen one or more of the cheeper aluminum presses made in China, but their bread and butter stuff is not.

If anyone is curious, just give the good folks in Oroville a call. They'll be straight up with you.

Boolit Master
    I've had my Lyman Mag 25 for several months now and really like it. Got it when it was on sale at Midway for less than $200. Made in China or not, it works well.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Grafs show not in stock for pro melt 2 for $264.99 for 240v no 120 listed yet

Perma-Banned

It will be overpriced, just like the regular pro-melt is.

They may have pretty good warranty...but you pay through the nose for it with the melting pot...at the price they get for them, they SHOULD be great and have a great warranty.

At the price mentioned...when they do come out, you won't have any problem getting one as there will be no scramble to get them,as few will pay that price to melt lead.

Boolit Bub
    I like my Pro Melt pot but I also have a Lee Production Pot IV that I bought in 1975 that still works fine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    It will be overpriced, just like the regular pro-melt is.

They may have pretty good warranty...but you pay through the nose for it with the melting pot...at the price they get for them, they SHOULD be great and have a great warranty.

At the price mentioned...when they do come out, you won't have any problem getting one as there will be no scramble to get them,as few will pay that price to melt lead.
    One of the things on my list of equipment is another Pro-Melt. I've had Lee pots. Not going down that path again.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if that pot will carry RCBS's full lifetime warranty. On some complex items RCBS is not offering a "full" no hassle warranty. For example is my Chargmaster 1500 combo, RCBS will warranty the "mechanical" side of the unit, but they will not warranty any of the electronic components.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast