Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt-2

Perma-Banned

RCBS Pro Melt-2

Anyone have this new Pro Melt-2? I think its new? I cant find reviews or anything outside of the RCBS Website about it?
    Attachment 188142

The improved RCBS® Pro-Melt™-2 furnace is a necessity for those who love to cast lead bullets. The 25-pound capacity can mould hundreds of projectiles. The programmable temperature control has a digital readout to ensure accuracy, and the bottom-pour design ensures accurate, safe casting. If the first step of hand- loading is manufacturing bullets, the Pro-Melt™-2 is a necessity.

Perma-Banned
    I am seriously looking into buying a good pot, The Pro Melt gets the best reviews by far, i have a Lee 4-20 that is near new, i am constantly fiddling with it, i have made a few mods to it, opened up the flow a bit to fill the big molds faster, (I pour Large Heavy bullets up to 600 Grains) mine leaked bad at first, i noticed the spout was bent, actually it wasn't the spout it was the housing itself, i took a pair of vise grips and bent it back to where it looked straight up and down, it stopped leaking!! By straightening the spout i caused a leak around it somehow? It's actually leaking down the outsided edge of the spout, so its getting between the pot and housing, i probably should drain the pot and inspect, probably just tighten up the nut on the bottom that holds the spout (99.9% sure this is the problem) but you have to tear the whole pot apart to get to it. Long story short i am tired of messing with it, its a *** in my opinion!
    Anyone have this new RCBS Pro Melt-2, if so how do you like it? Is it better than the original one?
    I have a brand new Rowell bottom pour ladle and a Lyman, i keep threatening to learn how to use this new Rowell and forget about the fancy pots, i have used the Lyman a few times, But after using an electric bottom pour its almost impossible for me to think about ladle casting. When everything gets up to temp and running smoothly I can pour a mountain of bullets in a hurry with the bottom pour! I know A lot of guys swear by ladle casting the big heavy bullets, other than opening the spout on my New Junker Lee pot i have had no problems with getting good bullets? I am picky, i only keep the bullets that weigh 1 grain of eachother, a tenth one way or the other and they go back in the melt.
    Last edited by 54bore; 02-15-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Banned

Love my two promelts. the new one has better heat control but I don't know that I would shell out extra for it. My old ones cast just fine.

Boolit Master
    I'm not so sure these are available as of yet. I did a little searching and didn't find any listed.

The photo from RCBS's site also says "prototype"

A PID controlled Pro Melt? I'd think it would be a good seller, particularly knowing RCBS's customer service track record.

(Hell I haven't fired up the last Promelt I bought)

Can anyone who may have gone to the Shot Show verify if these were in the RCBS booth?
    Bob

Banned

Nice looking. Hate to see Chinese/RCBS fusion but where else do you get the "brain?"
    Took Lyman forever to get their unit on the market delay after delay even after set availability date were announced.
    I have a PID so not sure exciting for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    That's going to push the cost of the Pro-Melt up close to $500 and that's a lot of beans for a pot to melt lead in.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy

Good to see RCBS is updating an already great product. I wonder what the price will be?

Banned

At that price, $500 range, I would for sure be getting the Magma Master Pot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    At that price, $500 range, I would for sure be getting the Magma Master Pot
    Ditto
    Bob

I think that pot will be a winner. At the first part of December my wife gave me an early Christmas gift which was a Pro-melt. Up til then all I had used was a Lee 4-20 pot and after firing off the new pot, my thoughts were I'd never pay the extra $ for one over the lee. It also dripped but not as bad as the Lee. However, I think the drip may have been temp and alloy dependent because after plugging it to my PID, it's a casting fool with no drips.

Boolit Master

The RCBS site (may dry ground be upon them) has the 120 VAC unit priced at $315.

Banned

So RCBS either "cheapened" the pot or you get a free PID. That would be deal.
    They are great with warranties but the Pro Melt has a two year warranty and all the RCBS Chinese electronic stuff has a one year warranty.

Perma-Banned
    Just now got off the phone with RCBS, this product has not yet been released, expected in the next couple of months, suggested retail is 314.95, the Rep told me when places such as midway etc. get it in stock that it should be roughly 30% below the 314.95 price, and that i should NOT ever pay more than the 314.95 for the unit! I will be patiently waiting for this one to hit the shelves!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Just now got off the phone with RCBS, this product has not yet been released, expected in the next couple of months, suggested retail is 314.95,....
    So it's going to be improved, with a PID built-in, and be less than the current one. Nice.

Banned

^^^ neat trick if they can pull it off. Does not make sense, they add a PID and the MSRP goes down for the same quality pot??? Is the whole deal Chinese, if so then all of this makes sense. If the old model stays in production, will it go south of $300 MSRP???Unicorns do exist.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, I am going to be very suspicious as to what's missing that lowered the price, and still allowed for added features.

Boolit Master

What'll be 'missing' will be the electro-mechanical thermostat and the required assembly thereof.

Banned

I am just think they went the way of Lyman Mag 25 PID
    100% made in China
    I believe the MSRP on the Pro Melt is $480.00
    Will just have to wait and see
    Lyman may have forced their hand

"MADE IN CHINA" was conspicuously printed on the box" From Lyman Mag 25 Box
    Last edited by jmort; 02-15-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Let's hope they get the mould guide right...
    May we achieve our aims....

My new RCBS ProMelt was purchased when Midway had a sale and with $100 rebate it brought the price down to the mid 200s but yes, it's Chinese. In OPs pic the new ones look to be an improvement with the PID. Gp

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast