RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Yes one more 300 blackout question

Boolit Master

Yes one more 300 blackout question

Who among you uses small mag rifle primers and who uses standard small rifle primes; in a AR platform? I've only been using small rifle with both cast and jacketed cause I didn't know some such as Hogddon recommend the mag primers! Other sources say only the military primers others say standard small rifle, so who's using what and do you believe the standard small rifle poses any risk?

In Remembrance

Having been reloading for my AR 15 platforms for a couple of decades, I am not worried about using SRPs for 5.56 NATO or .300AAC. I realize that many reloaders ONLY use Mil-Spec primers due to the "possibility" of slam-fires. My ARs all have light-weight titanium firing pins so I have less concerns about that. Live chambered then extracted rounds show no dent in primers. (Unlike my M1A) I have used both CCI and Winchester small rifle magnum primers when loading H110 powder or AA#9. This seems to give smaller velocity variance compared to SRPs and is what the powder manufacturers recommends. Otherwise, Winchester, Remington, CCI, Federal small rifle primers work OK. Check to see if your chambered live rounds show any dent. If they do, you might want to use "mil-spec" primers.

Boolit Buddy
    I just avoid the possible issue and use CCI 41's...
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Master

No no dents, no wild deviation in fps,fairly clean brass and rifle so I guess I'm not doing it "wrong"

I've used regular old small rifle primers in both 223 and 300blk for ARs and haven't had slam fire problems. I think you'll be fine with them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rda72927 View Post
    I just avoid the possible issue and use CCI 41's...
    Excellent choice. I do the same.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Standard CCI in ar10 & BO. Get a few light dings but no mis/slam fires.
    Whatever!

You see a lot of wanna be operators frothing at the mouth over anything "Mil Spec". Problem is that term in general is not very defined and really not a applicable term in general. Most don't even know what it means, they just want Mil Spec.

In 30 years of messing with AR's I've yet to see a actual dent on a primer after cambering or a slam fire with commercial primers. I have seen marks that show it touched but not enough to move the surface of the primer. Now I am sure under certain conditions it may be possible but the likelihood is low. As long as the primer is seated properly the chance of issues is low. Obviously safety rules are still good to observe and cambering with the muzzle in a safe direction is always a good idea.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    You see a lot of wanna be operators frothing at the mouth over anything "Mil Spec". Problem is that term in general is not very defined and really not a applicable term in general. Most don't even know what it means, they just want Mil Spec.

In 30 years of messing with AR's I've yet to see a actual dent on a primer after cambering or a slam fire with commercial primers. I have seen marks that show it touched but not enough to move the surface of the primer. Now I am sure under certain conditions it may be possible but the likelihood is low. As long as the primer is seated properly the chance of issues is low. Obviously safety rules are still good to observe and cambering with the muzzle in a safe direction is always a good idea.
    This also seems to be take and experience, not knocking anyone else or how they do it but since 1994 I've had at least one ar type weapon, the Corps did school me well on such platform I haven't had any issues with my loads and standard small rifle primers and except the dreaded slam fire I haven't seen nor read anything concrete enough to lead me to believe my small rifle non magnum primers aren't appropriate for the task. Thank you everyone for your time and feed back!

Boolit Master

I've always used standard rifle primers for my AR rounds, .223/5.56, 300BO, 6.8 and 6.5.

Standard. No problems IME.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Standard. No problems IME.
    Same here.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.