RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Star and H&G Fun Documents

Boolit Master

Star and H&G Fun Documents

Recent find in my Grandfather's reloading records. Figured might be a fun history piece for some.

The above invoice showcases a 1959 purchase of a brand new Star Universal with extra tool head. The configurations were set up to fit the Hensley and Gibbs #50 and #130 bullets.

We also located the H&G catalog from that time as well.

I used google to figure it out and in today's dollars the Star order would have come in just shy of $1800 and the H&G molds ranged from $188 and up for standard molds.

Yeah, and California had a 4% sales tax then, too. Now it's double that in most places in the state.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Here is a few more for the forums use.

Banned

212$ that was like 2 house payments.

Boolit Buddy

First Star cost me $375.00 back in July 1970. New wife at the time almost left me, only made $500.00 a month before taxes.
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Everything is relative. In 1970, I was working for the phone company, making a whopping $750 a month, but in 1971, I went to work for the Sheriff's Office and took a $50 a month cut in pay. That was a lot, especially considering I went from having all my uniforms and tools supplied by the company, and full paid medical, to buying my own uniforms, all equipment, paying my own insurance and paying into retirement.

I was loading my ammunition on my old used Hollywood that I had purchased from one of my college professors in 1963 for $25.00. There was no way I could afford a Star, as they were considered the Cadillac of reloading presses. Only agencies and wealthy individuals could afford the Star......

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.