MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Name that Enfield

Boolit Bub

Name that Enfield

I have an old Lee Enfield-1907. I'm not real sure which one it is, it's open top and has the volley sights. Here are some pics. if anyone has an idea?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0013.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	188093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0014.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	188094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0015.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	188095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0016.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	188096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0018.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	188099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0019.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	188100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0020.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	188101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0021.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	188102

What do you want to know? It tells you what it is on the buttstock collar beneath the bolt handle: Sht. LE I *** . BSAco. is the manufacturer, which is Birmingham Small Arms Co. Sht. L.E. means Short Lee Enfield, later on Short Model Lee Enfield or Short Magazine Lee Enfield depending on your reference source. It was the first in that series of SMLE as indicated by the "I" (Roman numeral for 1), and the stars indicate minor modifications to the original pattern. Your model was used after the Boer War and was replaced by the No.I Mk. III, and by the end of WW I the most common was the No. I Mk. III*, the main modification being the elimination of the magazine cutoff plate. However, the British were sometimes hard pressed to field sufficient rifles of the latest model, and your rifle could well have seen use in WW I. It used to have more wood on the front end than it presently has, and has been sporterized. Since the barrel appears uncut it could be restored to it's original military configuration if you desired to do so, but authentic parts for that older model are getting harder to find. A book where you can see how it looked originally and find out a bit more about your rifle is: The British Service Lee, by Ian Skennerton. You just missed an extensive thread on 5 round magazines which you may be able to turn up on a "search". Most Lee Enfields were issued with 10 round magazines.
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 02-14-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    1trkmind,

What you have is a butchered military arm. I would offer you $25 for a parts gun, as is. I see no need to identify a total demise of a former military arm.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master

Bubba job on a SMLE WWI rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    1trkmind,

What you have is a butchered military arm. I would offer you $25 for a parts gun, as is. I see no need to identify a total demise of a former military arm.

Adam
    Knowing what it is can often provide the incentive for restoring or refurbishing back to military configuration. If it was yet another No. 1 Mk3 that had been sporterized then maybe just shoot it and enjoy a nice shooting durable rifle able to kill pretty much any North American game animal. But on finding out the history one might be inclined to look into putting out some money in order to bring it back so to speak. I'm still mulling over choices and looking into getting parts to bring back my Mk V thanks to the information and support from this site.

I'm not a purist or collector so from my perspective it is enough to give it military furniture, make it able to take a bayonet and have it functioning properly. After all pretty sure they weren't all that fussy about matching serial numbers, wood patina being the same and all that jazz during the war. If I didn't have a sport version I might well buy one if the price was decent. They are a very good ~30 caliber rifle, once you get your brain around the whole head spacing and brass sizing thing for reloading.

I enjoy the heck out of watching the kick my grandson gets out of shooting a "piece of history" with a 200 grain lead bullet and mild load of 4198.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    1trkmind,

That "sporterized" pre-WWI Enfield MAY BE (it certainly looks like) a SEARS & ROEBUCK 1930s "catalog item". = "the "Big Book" over 75+ years sold MANY thousands of "sporterized" SMLE, 1903 Springfields, Mausers of several sorts & "P-17 American Enfield" rifles, too.
    (S&R sold those rifles well into the 1960s. = My Uncle Larry hunted with a "sporterized" WWII-era SMLE from about 1960 until his passing in 2011. - If nothing else, the SMLE is TOUGH.)

yours, tex

The brass medal in the stock may be specific to the unit the rifle was issued. Mine had a quarter in it but that is what those were. And the initials under the crown are for the monarch GR for George Rex and later ER for Elisabeth Regina. This is as recall it from some stuff I read last year. So look to who was king or queen when those were made and you will know what persons initials are under the crown. I thought that was neat. Can't imagine the US putting FDR or HST for Truman on our military arms.

The slot to the side above the magazine would have had a plate (still available at fairly decent prices) the plate would have covered the magazine and turned it into a single shot for long range volley fire, then be pulled out to the side to allow rapid fire when enemy was at closer range.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub
    Anyone know where I might find the proper wood for this rifle? It has the volley sights, but a newer stock may be able to be inletted to fit them. Also would need the metal furniture. Need to be fairly cheep.

Boolit Master
    The Mark I was originally throated and sighted for the MkVI and earlier marks of the .303 cartridge. If rebarreled and later model sights fitted there will be an SC marking for "Short Cone" denoting the throat is cut for the MkVII bullet and an HV marking denoting that the sight bed was altered for the flatter trajectory of the MkVII cartridge. Early MkI barrels were also reverse taper lapped to relieve friction to allow the MkVI to produce the same velocity in the short rifle barrel as it had in the longer LE barrel.

The Magazine may be from one of the Lee Metford or LE short carbines, these held six rounds and were often used with sporting versions.

The handguard of the MkI was a bit different than that of the MkIII, the front portion was much lower.

Repro fore ends might be available from Enfield associates. They may have other parts you'd need as well.
    Most Lithgow fore ends were profiled for the volley sights even if never installed. You might look for one of those in a matching wood and mount the sight dial on it.

Boolit Bub
    I have another one, a No.I Mk.III (1908) that I bought a D-P stock and furniture for years ago, I would buy another for the No.I if I could find one
    Last edited by 1trkmind; 02-17-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    1trkmind,

Adam
    I see no need for a lowball condescending offer to a man seeking information on his rifle. Shame on you. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    I thought Adam was saying it as a joke with no purple font.
    At least I hope so.
    Sweet Enfield btw.

Boolit Buddy

I agree with the condescending observation. Apart from being easily restorable to original configuration, those volley sights are pretty rare, and desirable to collectors. I have a very fine 1912, but the volley sights came off it long ago.

Banned
    Ilwil,

As I'm a shooter/hunter, rather than a collector, I'd strip the volley sight off the rifle, sell same & use that money to buy more ammo/reloading supplies/etc.
    (From what I can tell, the rifle is too far gone to ever be worth what its restoration would cost. - In fact, IF a person wants a SMLE in military dress, I'd look for a hunter that wants the rifle, without the nice sights, sell the rifle & buy an example that hasn't been "sporterized".)

In my travels, I see quite a few original, if "Plain Jane", SMLE rifles in unaltered condition; such rifles are not that difficult to find.

just my opinion, tex

Boolit Mold
    Hi All, long-time lurker here, registered because of this thread. The rifle is a MkI*** SMLE, converted from earlier MkI* and MkI** (your 1907 BSA was originally one of these) by the Royal Navy during WWI. The conversions were fairly minor, basically to update the sights for the then-latest MkVII Ball ammo. Yours still retains most of its hard-to-find early parts, and would be a relatively painless restoration. The forend and early nosecap might be a challenge to find, not too bad though. The minor little stuff (screws etc.), and the buttstock and front handguard are very easy to come by. I would strongly urge you to not part it out or strip it down further. They only made about 16k of these, a hundred years ago. They aren't priceless gems, but they certainly aren't average, run-of-the mill SMLE's either. Hope this helps. Best of luck with it.

Welcome to the forum, fifty four!

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    the cocking piece on the bolt is not correct for an LE1,the LE1 had the saftey on the bolt cocking piece.The magazine is worth many times what the rifle is worth more so than the volley sights . The rifle would bring maybe 150 -175 dollars here in Oz if the buyer was generous . The shorter magazines were offered by BSA in thier range of sporting rifles ,which were based on the MLE actions and later the MkI ' s .
    Parker Hale ,also used SMLE actions to build sporting rifles ,and had shorter magazines ,that were made in Japan and were marked as such .

Nice to meet you, fifty four. A great bunch of people here. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Bub
    Bob must be right about the safety because I just tried and it don't work. It has the serial # marked out and a new one added
    G
    E R 34
    maybe redone in 1934? Also nice to meet you 54 thanks for the input.

Boolit Grand Master

There's lots of sporterized Lee Enfields here in Canada! Some done nicely but most fairly crude.

If the gun is in good mechanical condition with good bore I'd shoot it as is then gradually collect parts to restore it, if I had the inclination or sell, it to someone who would restore it.

I have two No. 5's and a No. 4 MK II in good condition in full military dress and one no. 4 MK I that has been sporterized much as yours has been. One day I may restore it but I got it for $150.00 with scope and no gunsmithing scope mount that alone is worth $60.00. The bore is in excellent condition and it shoots well so I shoot it. One day it mat be returned to as issued condition but for now I enjoy shooting it as is.

I'd suggest getting headspace checked and corrected if necessary then slugging the bore to determine what size mould you need, acquire the appropriate mould, do some reloading and go shoot it.

My .303's all like the NOE 316299 200 gr. sized to 0.315". Groove diameters all run around 0.314". The sporterized gun also likes the Mihec 316410 130 gr. hollow point. They don't feed well being so short but they do shoot well and blow up water jugs with authority.

If you do reload for it and shoot it much, just neck size the brass or brass life will be short. I've gone to the Lee collet die for my .303's for that reason along with the fact that regular dies size the necks down to about 0.310" then I seat boolits of 0.315" which is hard on brass and boolits. I set up the collet die to size to 0.313".

Longbow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast