WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: New Bullet Blocks

Boolit Buddy

New Bullet Blocks

I haven't made any reloading or bullet block in a number of years and needed some for little stubby 308 bullets. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170214_114119.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	188075
    That's my reloading project for the day.

Vendor Sponsor

Very Nicely Done!

Those look good. I am always in a hurry when I make mine so seeing the above inspires me to take a snowy day and follow your lead.

What kind of wood?
    Chill Wills

Greenwart, nice project. How about a little info on how you made your blocks?

Boolit Grand Master
    Forstner bits are your friend when making loading blocks. They cut a much cleaner, better looking flat bottomed hole than just about any other type of wood boring bit.

Good job on these.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    The easiest way is to print out a grid pattern and glue it to the face of wood and go to town on your drill press. The other trick I know is to punch each hole so it's easier to locate. It's a pain but...
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Master
    If you don't have Forstner bits, you can drill completely through the block and then glue a thin piece of plywood or composition board to the bottom.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryball View Post
    The easiest way is to print out a grid pattern and glue it to the face of wood and go to town on your drill press. The other trick I know is to punch each hole so it's easier to locate. It's a pain but...
    I like your loading blocks! They are magnificent! After purchasing a couple of Stalwart loading blocks a long time ago, I figured that I could make those too. So I did. Bunches of them for special sizes and depths. From scrap pieces of oak from my furniture making hobby, I developed a system for making these loading blocks. I use a Shopsmith in drill press configuration using the fence anchored in one place and a stop block clamped to the table to start, then move the blocks around for drilling using a bunch of carefully planed blocks of oak wood (conveniently 3/4" thick) and a set of Harbor Freight milling bits I had purchased pretty cheap for my mini-lathe/milling machine. So, I can drill any size holes just by replacing the mill/drill bit, and space the holes using the shim blocks.
    Last edited by DonMountain; 02-15-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Those look nice! I'm usually trying to reload something only to find my blocks already full when I make a set in a hurry and it shows.

Boolit Grand Master

I seen a new loading block I think it was lymans catalogue called bleacher blocks. each 10 round column is a taller height on the block I may make a couple to see how they work out. I make mine with the forester bits. The other plus to forester bits is the edges that reduce chipping leave an under cut in the corner on blind holes. A simple trick when drilling loading blocks is to clamp a rail on the drill press table to alighn the block in the right location in the long axis. I do this on the outside column then add a spacer for each out so the rail dosnt need reset each time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I seen a new loading block I think it was lymans catalogue called bleacher blocks. each 10 round column is a taller height on the block I may make a couple to see how they work out. I make mine with the forester bits. The other plus to forester bits is the edges that reduce chipping leave an under cut in the corner on blind holes. A simple trick when drilling loading blocks is to clamp a rail on the drill press table to alighn the block in the right location in the long axis. I do this on the outside column then add a spacer for each out so the rail dosnt need reset each time.
    Neat idea, thanks for the tip.

Boolit Buddy
    The key to making these is creating a template to punch holes for layout. I used to have some graph paper software, but this time I just used open office draw. Set the grid size to the spacing , draw your lines and print out. I will print out a whole 8.5x11 sheet and trim to what I need to cover. Use some Blue 3m tape and tape securely to the blocks and punch index holes. I have a round tipped punch that will make a 1/16x1/4 hole. On the bullet blocks I used a brad tip drill from harbor freight, but usually I use forster bits for the larger reloading loading blocks. Having A long slender punched hole allows you to quickly drill the holes since the brad tip will align nicely. Use a router with a 1/4-1/2" round nose cuts the side grips. They make all the difference in the world. I had an old wooden reloading block that I would constantly use and that had that feature. Miter the corner edges, sand and a coat or two of linseed oil and you have something you can pass down to you kids /grand children.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I saw those bleacher blecks and thought they were a solution looking for a problem What is the advantage other than looking cool. They may be easier to grab the case and place bullets on top, but they wouldn't improve loading powder charges.

Boolit Buddy
    I have at least 40 reloading blocks or more. You just got me thinking that a problem is what size is which, and color coding the ends or edges might make it nice to know what size they are.