MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: cast bullet for my 257's, Recommendations?

Boolit Bub

cast bullet for my 257's, Recommendations?

I have a few Ruger m77's in 257 Roberts. I'm looking for a bullet that will cycle through the rifles nicely, but still be able to whack critters with authority. Raccoons , skunks and foxes are the chicken eaters I'm after. I'm partial to NOE moulds, so I took a peek at what he had to offer..........I just don't know. Any real world advice would be appreciated.

Banned

the RCBS 100gr mold looks good.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still liking the old 65Gr Lyman 257420 w a gas check...I used to shoot these out of an 1976 vintage ruger 257 roberts..7 to 8 grains of Unique & it would stay on a match book at 100yds..Deadly squirrel load at closer ranges ..Tons of cheap shooting fun...Contact me if you want 20 as cast & greased...Mike in Ct

Boolit Bub
    I was looking at the 100 grain RCBS and heavier, just because I'd thought they'd feed well. Mike, you answered the question I didn't ask - the lighter bullets will feed in my old m77's. For what I'm using them for, the lighter's are the route I'll probably go. Now I need to find one in stock somewhere. Thanks

Boolit Master

I like either the Lyman 257312 or the RCBS 25-100-FN. For heavier work, the RCBS 25-120-SP worked well in my Roberts./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Bub
    If NOE would of had the RCBS 100 grain clone in stock, I'd of bought it. Now I'm looking at the little 80 grain Ranch Dog but it's not in stock either. Beagle, are you lettin the air out of deer with that RCBS 120?

Boolit Grand Master
    The only 257 diameter shooting I have done with cast is with a 250/3000 Savage and a Lyman 258-464. IIRC, that's a 90-ish grain boolit in the Louverin style that I prefer. I had good results with a load of 17.5 grains of 2400. I would like to get back to that, but these days it's an hour and a half to the nearest rifle range and coupled with 2.69$ a gallon gasoline, my old truck and I just can't see our ways clear to making the run just for funsies. About the only rifle shooting that gets done now is the occasional hunting prep trip in the late summer and early fall
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I have shot 3 Lyman 25 caliber bullets at animals, mostly groundhogs but with a few skunks, coons and one field lion thrown in. 257283 in a 25-20, 257420 and 257424 in a 25-06. The 257283 and 257420 flat points worked well, any hits in the chest or head and they only kicked a few times. The 257454 worked much better after I hollow-pointed them. Once I found the velocity each one liked, all shot pretty well. Alloy for all 3 is acww.

I don't recall the number but I had a Lyman 90 gr fpgc that worked great in .250 Sav & 25-06. I used Red Dot in both. I only killed a skunk and an armadillo with them and they worked. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    I have Ruger 77 in 250 Savage so I assume your rifle and mine have the same twist. I have the NOE 100 Grain copy Of the RCBS mould and learned it had to be ran faster to shoot well in my rifle. Bought the NOE Ranch Dog 80 grain mold to help a friend with his 25-20,and discovered it shoots great in my rifle. I use it more than any boolit.

Boolit Master
    Same story as jj, above.

The NOE 80 grain plain base works great in a friends 25-20.

The gas check version seems to like my 257 roberts, but I haven't had a chance to really test it.

The only .257 mold I have is the SAECO. It's a ~100 gr. bore rider, and it worked very nicely in my wife's Remington 700 25-'06. 700s usually have pretty tight throats, IME. but the .25-'06 has a lot of neck to play with. I have not tried it in my Shaw-barreled Roberts. Older Shaw barrels often had very generous throats.

In Remembrance

RCBS 25-120-SP has worked well in what is now my daughter's Rem. 700 Classic...........she says.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    3 designs that have all worked well in my Ruger 77 .250 Sav. and Savage 16 also in .250 Sav are: Saeco 100g FN, RCBS 100gFN and the old Cramer 55a which is also a 100g nominal boolit. Of the 3, my Savage 16 likes the Saeco the best. The Ruger has never had anything in it but the Cramer 55a.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    I have shot the 80 grain from N.O.E in the 25x39,250 sav.and the 25-06.

They have a gas check and they do a number on critters up to coyotes.