Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ceramic tumbling media.

Boolit Master

Ceramic tumbling media.

With all the talk about 5.7 brass prep, I checked the ceramic tumbling media. There are a few things about them???. Size, shape and abrasive vs non abrasive.
    What have the 5.7 processors been using.
    Just curious Bill.

Boolit Master
    I use a Variety Of media Other than Pins. Pins will Damage the cases after awhile . I use Ceramic and plastic Beads. . These have to be sized so they Don't pack the case. I Do use Triangular Ceramic Pieces Non Abrasive. These will clean The Primer pockets but will not pack the case.
    media Co's make different sizes. But the ones That come to a Point is the best. Mix the wet solution with Lemi and detergent and use the triangles. . There are also hard Rubber triangles like Erasers . But I have not used them yet . These are tumbled Dry.
    For another very High Polish . I has use Sawdust, Not Fine But the grade they use for Bar room floors Dry
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Salpal48, I am not questioning your results just looking for more data. What tests have you done or what experience do you have in regard to SS pins damaging cases? Length of time in the tumbler, shape, type of brass, type of pins etc...

It seems to me that anytime anything tumbled together where one item is harder or more abrasive than the other will eventually wear down, but to what extent and under what conditions is the only question. I've seen the pins with the squared corner cuts, and some with rounded ends, and I have see chips in a more or less oval look to them.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Hey Bill, Duke ordered Our ceramic pins, I will get the info for you when he gets back for a trip.
    We just bid and won on a really nice kiln

Well Let yall know how it works, after we get it set up and running.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Let me Try to explain, I use the same brass Over and Over until it's NG. This is Far from Scientific, Constantly Using the same Brass polishing withPin. The brass cases get To have an Orange peel effect. Small Micro dent and Roughness in The Brass. After Firing Them The small Dents pop Out and makes the Bass Frosted or spotty. . Now In using Them the brass Get Rougher and spotter and never come Back to Original Luster. . since many times I use mixed Brass . The reaction is different with different manufacturer. Since then I stopped using Pins.
    Quote Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
    Salpal48, I am not questioning your results just looking for more data. What tests have you done or what experience do you have in regard to SS pins damaging cases? Length of time in the tumbler, shape, type of brass, type of pins etc...

It seems to me that anytime anything tumbled together where one item is harder or more abrasive than the other will eventually wear down, but to what extent and under what conditions is the only question. I've seen the pins with the squared corner cuts, and some with rounded ends, and I have see chips in a more or less oval look to them.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    Hey Bill, Duke ordered Our ceramic pins, I will get the info for you when he gets back for a trip.
    We just bid and won on a really nice kiln

Well Let yall know how it works, after we get it set up and running.
    Oh, isn't that nice?
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Master
    I never considered ceramic. I have a bucket of Zirshot ceramic beads I may try. They are very fine beads.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using my Paragon for about 8 years.
    " CANCER SUCKS" I swage .224, 6mm, 7mm, .308, 9mm, .40, .429. Also 9 to 30 jackets, and 9 to 9 jackets.

Boolit Buddy
    I was using pins and tumbled after each firing. I started having case failures on a higher frequency than previously. We finally determined that the fine haze (micro dents from ends of pins) was actually causing a tighter grip to the dry chamber walls. The failures were "FINE" hair line cracks starting from the inside. They were so fine that unless a probe was sharpened to a needle point they would not be picked up when inspected. Failure points were mid way of brass. A small amount of lube on case and alternating with vibratory tumbler resolved issue.

In Remembrance

PeeWee and I only use the ceramic pins when processing the 5.7s for jackets. I would never suggest that anyone use ceramic for normal brass cleaving.
    I'll get you the source for the ceramic pins I got when I get back from Mardis gras

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Thanks.

How many pounds of the ceramic media does a guy need? I'm using five pounds of SS pins in my tumbler now.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Buddy

How do you separate the ceramic media? Easy with a magnet for the pins. What about the ceramic media?
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

I use a plastic colander in a 5 gal bucket about a 1/3 full of water, swish it around till all the SS pins are out of the colander and then do another rinse the same way. Seems to get all the pins out, works for me. The ceramic media should work the same way but might need a colander with bigger holes. I'm going to order some ceramic pins that Duke is using. I will be doing some experimenting on how to separate them from the brass.

Boolit Buddy

Keep me apprised. I'm thinking of getting some but don't want to increase my work.

Sent from here to there by me using smoke signals
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

I have two separators, I have the old midwest system that fits in a bucket with the open tumbler, I use this one for all my dry tumbling media. I have a Dillon square open system for my wet tumbling, the ceramic pins drop thru just like the SS pins.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

I originally bought the ceramic pins under BTs suggestion as a way to bright clean swaged bullets in my Dillon vibratory tumbler. I placed the ceramic pins in the dry tumbler (obviously, no other media), and sprinkled a little water on them, and a drop or two of Dawn. Added the bullets, and allowed the system to really brighten up the swaged bullets.
    However, when PeeWee told me we needed a more aggressive way to get the burned scale off the annealed 5.7s, I immediately tried the ceramic pins. They worked perfectly. They occasionally get stuck inside the brass, but if you open the necks enough to begin with that is minimized.
    Simple tumbling in media separator, and the ceramic pins are easily recovered. i think I bought two pounds when I bought them.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Two pounds. I will start with that. Thanks Duke.