WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: CVA Rifle into a pistol??

Boolit Buddy

CVA Rifle into a pistol??

I've been looking for a 50 cal CVA Kentucky style pistol (percussion) for a while and have had no luck. I know they were discontinued several years ago. It seems that I keep stumbling upon 50 caliber CVA rifles....which made me think.

Has anyone tried to use the tang, barrel (cut down), trigger and lock and install it into a CVA Kentucky pistol stock? The stocks are still available through Deer Creek ($55).

Another option would be to cut the barrel down, which includes cutting a dovetail for the wedge and just carve/hack/whittle on the stock until it is a pistol.

What's everyone's opinion? I'm just too thrifty (cheap) to buy a $300+ BP pistol. I will not be hunting with it, just casual shooting and using in re-enactments.
    Last edited by crandall crank; 02-14-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Perm-Banned
    i would be interested in responses here as pistols have faster twist even for round balls. im wondering if a slow twist barrel cut short can shoot a roundball accurately. i dont see why not but again i want to learn from the responses here. my four ubeti cowboy guns i believe have a 1/18 and1/2 twist and shoot roundballs very accurate. ive always wondered about this.

Perma-Banned
    I saw one cut down into a "blanket gun" that looked pretty good. butt of stock cut off just past the grip, barrel shortened to a couple inches in front of where the fore-end steps down & ramrod channel begins and had some faux Indian rawhide repair work coverin' the butt-ugly joint in the stock. a little leather lacin' & a couple of feathers completed the deal.

In Remembrance

Early in my muzzle loading shooting career I made several pistols, percussion as well as flint lock, using cut-offs from muzzle loading rifle barrels. Twist rates varied from 1 in 48 to 1 in 66". None of them were ever as accurate as faster twist "pistol" barrels with twist rates of 1 in 24 to 1 in 18". The slow twist barreled pistols shooting patched round ball were slightly less accurate than smooth bore pistols of the same caliber. Some would shoot pretty good at less than 50 feet, but accuracy at 25 yards was more like a pattern than a group. I tried several different caliber choices as barrel pieces came available from .36 up to .58". None lived up to my expectation until I finally coughed up the money to buy properly rifles pistol barrels.

Boolit Master
    as others have said the twist is all wrong for a pistol. you would not be happy with the shooting results. the you would be out a rifle and have a pistol that does not shoot. a lose lose out come.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've built pistols with rifle cut offs. I could get fair accuracy, but had to stoke them up pretty hot to get there. Not worth it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    You can get a new pistol barrel from The Gun Works for $65. Joe Williams machines them and does top notch work.

Banned

Doesn't Traditions still make the pistols in a kit? I know the Sheeles store here has one in the case that they are selling. They seem to get them in regularly.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, Traditions still has pistol kits.
    Aim small, miss small!

Perma-Banned
    Deer Creek lists several CVA kits. shows to be two 45cal flint Kentuckys to be available for $199.00 and also a few American Pistol(Hawken syle) kits in 50cal percussion as available for $169.00.

luck & have a good'en, bubba.

For some goofy reason I sold this CVA fast twist .50... a moment of extreme DUH.
    It probably would have made a pretty darn good pistol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CVA 2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	188368