Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Roll crimped hulls

Banned

Roll crimped hulls

Looking through some stuff I have and found a few Remington 3" slug hulls once fired that my sons apparently picked up for me when they were small (picking up brass at the range was a game they liked). Anyway, they are nice hulls, and I kind of have the itch to experiment with loading some heavy buck shot loads for coyotes, can the old roll crimp be star crimped?

I have a Lee Load All which works well on 2 3/4" hulls, not sure if it'll work on 3" or not, but I think I have a Lee loader around here that should.

I don't think it would take long to find out. I'd start by using a spin doctor on one of those hulls and see how it looks. The other option of course would be to put a roll crimp back on it.

Boolit Buddy
    The only adjustment reqd for your lee load all will be the black wad guide on the center post of the press. Single screw and move it up 1/4 inch to the next hole and screw it back in.

You have to "get the feel" for 3" shells. Too much pressure will buckle the shells. Not difficult, just something to take note of.

Boolit Master
    You can move the wad guide up to load 3in hulls on the lee load all , but I could never get a good crimp on a shell that was not previously crimped on my load all , the same thing the other way to its hard to get a good role crimp on a previously crimped shell without a lot of shell conditioning .

Banned

Thanks, guys. I'll probably just get some once fired hulls with a star crimp.

You could get a starter star crimp from BPI they sell them there.Just heat the hull some just to use the start star crimp and then go from there.I has use a heat gun to heat the hull some. and just use the starter crimp and go from there when I made some 2" shells from 2 3/4" hulls.I had did roll crimp ,but also done star crimp also on the short shells I even got some down to 1 3/4"
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    you will save yourself a lot of cuss words if you trash those and go with a reg star crimp.

Boolit Master
    This could be a good reason to start roll crimping , witch is a lot of fun anyway . But then your going to need more hulls .....

If you buy some new hulls from BPI . They do not have the star crimp on them. You need to do it yourself.just to let you know.But like toallmy stated it is a good reason to start roll crimp beside fold crimp
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

Just browsing around gunbroker, there's a lot of sellers with once fired hulls of all types. Think I'll go that route. I haven't had any problems with once fired hulls I've run through the Load All yet, though I haven't done that many.

Banned

Here is a good place to get once fired hulls
    http://www.trapshooters.com

P.S. I guess they stopped letting members sell hulls. Only Vendors now. I got a lot of once fired shells from members at little more than shipping. Around . $.03 per hull plus shipping.
    So not a great place for hulls, but the For Sales sub-forums are interesting in general, so I left the link.
    Last edited by jmort; 02-14-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    New hulls take a star crimp just fine . roll crimped hulls not so heating them helps but they still don't come out like you want. Check out BPI"s web site your looking for. Plastic disc (Under roll crimp) Roll crimper, Nickle 4 Buck (no make your own ) Hull vice (nice) Coyote manual (Bad Ju Ju for Coyetes) or Roll Crimp Manual ( Buck an Slugs)......

Boolit Master
    You can browse once fired hulls at Ballistic Products , or Precision reloading if you want a hundred or so of a specific type of hull to test a load . You can find a better price on popular hulls , but you won't find a better selection and you can just pick up 100 of what you want .

Boolit Master

Roll crimped slugs...........

I roll crimp mine. A friend of mine on Facebook advises that a tight roll crimp is the key to accuracy when using a fully rifled barrel.

Mine shoot pretty good at 50 yards; not sure at 75 or 100 yet.

If you look closely at the photograph, I use 3" high brass once fired turkey hulls. 36 grains of Blue Dot, Federal 12S3 wad with one 28ga overshot card.

Now, I cut the roll crimp off the top of the hull. This works great, it all fits together like it should. Roll crimp in a drill press. Results shown.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.