Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Neck sizing 11.3x52 Beaumont

Boolit Mold

Neck sizing 11.3x52 Beaumont

Hey folks! I want to try reloading for my Beaumont rifle. I have 40 loaded rounds from one of the obsolete ammo makers. I shot 10 of them, and I'd like to try reloading them. Full length dies are prohibitively expensive, so I was hoping I could get away with just neck sizing. I have heard tell of people using a 45 Long Colt die to do this. Can anyone corroborate that? Any other notes, or experiences you fine people have with this round? The brass was originally formed from 50-90 Sharps, if that matters.

Oh, I suppose I'll add that I disassembled one round, and found the following:
    405 grain .458 boolit with three lube grooves
    72 grains of some kind of powder
    large rifle primer

Does anyone know where to start looking for load data? This round is not listed in either of my reloading manuals.

Also, I do not cast boolits yet, but I am slowly acquiring the tools and materials to do so. I will start this summer. Thanks!

Boolit Master

Know nothing about the cartridge or sizing. Would assume that 45 Colt would overwork the brass by reducing it to hold a .452 bullet. You would need a Lyman M die or equivalent to expand for .458 bullets.

Have never seen or used Trailboss powder but this might be a good application for it based on what I have read.

Boolit Man
    I have been loading and shooting the Beaumont for a while now. I did buy the dies, but really I only needed them to form the cases out of 50/90 brass. I also shoot 50/90 so I had a lot on hand. I only paid $100 for the rifle and many times that feeding it. At any rate here is what I do. Since you already have the fired brass I do not need to address forming it. First of all I only shoot black powder in all of my old 19th century firearms. I am sure that you can find smokeless loads on the web, but why? JMHO. I do not re-size or even neck size (in the traditional sense) my cases once they have been fired. After the brass is cleaned I knock out the primer and seat a large magnum rifle primer. I load 70 grs of Goex 2F down a drop tube into the case. Next a .030 vegetable fiber wad, a grease cookie and another .030 wad. I use a fat punch to just press it down. The beauty of black powder is that you want to fill the case till it touches the bottom of the bullet with a little compression. This serves as a shelf to hold the bullet in place. I use a 405 gr. soft lead bullet with a hollow base sized to .458 and lubed with SPG lube. I can literally seat the bullet with my thumb and unlike smokeless powder the black keeps it from just falling into the case. or seating too deeply. Now I need just enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place. Because I have it I use the 11.3x52 sizing die sans decapping pin. I run the round up into the sizing die until I just "feel" it grab. After a couple it gets easy. In the absence of the 11.3x52 sizing die I would try whatever I had that came close. A .45 Colt die might work or .45 ACP or 45/70. I often play around with different size dies for various purposes. I shoot my Beaumont as a single shot typically with the magazine cut off in place. My beat up old rifle which was sold to me as a wall hanger is great fun to shoot. I can clang steel out at 100 yards easily. No doubt a better shot could even do better. I hope you find something useful in my response and good luck with your endeavor.

Boolit Master
    I also shoot the Beaumont. When I did not buy dies. I was Humping them up . I used the 45 colt and 45 acp methods. some times it works and some times not. Then I purchased The dies and Trim dies. Now never a problem.
    Using the Trim die to Form.
    If you use the Hump up method . at first You waste more than get good ones. after a while You develop a process
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    I also shoot the Beaumont. When I did not buy dies. I was Humping them up . I used the 45 colt and 45 acp methods. some times it works and some times not. Then I purchased The dies and Trim dies. Now never a problem.
    If you use the Hump up method . at first You waste more than get good ones. after a while You develop a process
    Could you explain the Hump Up method? I haven't heard of it.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Yeah, the right dies make life a lot easier for case forming. However, if one already has the cases the dies are not essential in my opinion. I sprung for the dies and continue to use the sizing die whenever I need new brass. I have in excess of 100 now and have only had two fail after multiple reloadings. Another plus of low pressure black powder.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by The Goose View Post
    Yeah, the right dies make life a lot easier for case forming. However, if one already has the cases the dies are not essential in my opinion. I sprung for the dies and continue to use the sizing die whenever I need new brass. I have in excess of 100 now and have only had two fail after multiple reloadings. Another plus of low pressure black powder.
    Would you be willing to share your load data?

Boolit Master
    If you go to U-Tube and search Dutch Beaumont you will find several good videos, especially Iraqveteran8888, he has a good one on shooting and another on reloading. Now I have to find one for myself!

Boolit Mold
    I think I've watched his Beaumont videos thrice through! Just looking for more load data, I suppose. One can never have to much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    If you go to U-Tube and search Dutch Beaumont you will find several good videos, especially Iraqveteran8888, he has a good one on shooting and another on reloading. Now I have to find one for myself!

Boolit Master
    Someone asked about The Hump up method. It is not very scientific trim the case 50/90 Or 32 Gage to almost proper length. You have to use some dies you have . . everyone does not have the same. I size in 50/70 die. Then start reducing the neck down to 45 cal using whatever you have. You can use 45 colt to form a Longer neck and somewhat forming a shorter shoulder . . Trim to proper length . If it chambers > then fire form
    Sometimes it works , sometimes not
    That why I bought the dies
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Buddy
    I use Iraqvetrans method and have not lost a case. I think the trick is to anneal and often. I shoot 12gr of unique in mine but will switch over to black this summer. I have been using black powder for a Snider and it is a blast, love the cloud of smoke.

Boolit Mold
    That's very interesting. Can you speak on the matter of such a small powder charge in such a large case volume. It is my understanding that this situation can lead to excessive pressure. Is this just not a concern with a large rifle case? What boolit do you use? Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Ross View Post
    I use Iraqvetrans method and have not lost a case. I think the trick is to anneal and often. I shoot 12gr of unique in mine but will switch over to black this summer. I have been using black powder for a Snider and it is a blast, love the cloud of smoke.

Boolit Mold
    Bumping for any more responses. Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    Well, I deprimed, sized, and loaded 10 rounds today. I will shoot them tomorrow, see how they work. I don't have a real depriming die for this caliber, so I tapped them out by hand with a plastic mallet and a pin.

Boolit Master
    Once You start shooting The Dutch Beaumont. you will Find It to be addictive. I have 3 . They are all VG and accurate. Or as accurate as they can Be. Once your ammo is made It is an easy Load
    . I use both smokeless and Black and both work
    It is a pleasure to shoot
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Mold
    I loaded 10 rounds, and fired them all through one of our Beaumonts. 7 out of 10 fired properly, but 3 of them were duds. Any idea what the problem might be? I used Winchester Large Rifle primers, 25 grains of 5744, and a 405 grain MBC boolit.