Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Maximum Meplat width for close range dangerous or heavy game ???

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar

Maximum Meplat width for close range dangerous or heavy game ???

So I'm new here but but not to brown bear hunting and defense.
    I'm trying to figure out what is the Most effective bullet for my 480 Ruger.
    I can shoot 420 gr cast at around 1200 fps . Haven't tried any 440 gr.
    So Ive been looking at bullet molds and was wondering why .475+ molds seem to max out at a .4" meplat/nose width.
    Is there some reason for this ?
    Thank you .
    Glen.
    You are being watched.

Banned

The 420 at 1200 is fine. Shoot a bear in the head and you will remove his tail. No need to go more. Meplat is over blown. Too much will have a pressure wave that pushes tissue into a secondary wound channel that collapses. A WLN can work better then a WFN depending on velocity. It is always velocity.
    You do NOT need a 440 gr.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A meplat which is larger than about .75 of bullet diameter is not stable at longer ranges beyond about 50 yards and acts more like a wadcutter. If you want the best long range accuracy beyond 50 yards limit meplat to no more than about 0.7 of the bullet diameter. For adequate game effectiveness, you want a meplat diameter not less than about 0.6 of bullet diameter. Keith type SWCs and the original black powder bullets loaded in calibers such as the .44-40 had meplat diameters 0.66 of meplat diameter or about .28 in the .44 cal., .30 in .45 cal. or .315" in your .480, which have proven to work well. You don't need larger.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    You don't need larger.
    The !&@#^*#% you say! If he's handgun distance from a big brown, he needs a HOWITZER!

A short barreled shotgun loaded with slugs is a MUCH more effective arm against a brown than any revolver made. You or the bear will never know the difference in meplat of your 420gr boolit. Shot placement is WAY more important than meplat, a well placed shot won't matter what meplat you use.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-13-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    A meplat which is larger than about .75 of bullet diameter is not stable at longer ranges beyond about 50 yards and acts more like a wadcutter. If you want the best long range accuracy beyond 50 yards limit meplat to no more than about 0.7 of the bullet diameter. For adequate game effectiveness, you want a meplat diameter not less than about 0.6 of bullet diameter. Keith type SWCs and the original black powder bullets loaded in calibers such as the .44-40 had meplat diameters 0.66 of meplat diameter or about .28 in the .44 cal., .30 in .45 cal. or .315" in your .480, which have proven to work well. You don't need larger.
    Not true. Nothing to do with accuracy. I shoot WFN to 500 meters with revolvers. Best is 2-1/2" at 500. 83% meplat. But true in an animal, YOU DO NOT NEED LARGER.

, OK.
    The need part is subjective. Trust me , when you have a pissid off bear @ 15 feet . I agree that shot placement is most important but often times things are happening real fast and precise shot placement is very iffy .
    Since the 500 Smith is too much recoil for me. I've settled on the 480. And want All I can get from it.
    I used to use the 410 gr cast Buffalo Bore factory load. But never had to kill a bear with it . But it sure was alot more conforting than the 44 I had been packing. I was running 320 gr CPBs @ 1200 fps. Which I did have to use on 1 bear. Agressive but not big. Just a punk in a brown fur coat that decided it would take over my camp. It worked and I didnt get chewed . But I was seriously underwhelmed with its ability to put a bear on the ground.
    Last edited by Cold Trigger Finger; 02-13-2017 at 04:21 PM.
    You are being watched.

I appreciate all the replies.
    Thank You.
    You are being watched.

One ounce slug from a pistol - I can't take it. Did 4 12ga slugs in a mossy 500 and quit. Assume you use a hard alloy?
    Whatever!

Actually, in my shooting with 3 of the 4, SRH 480s Ive had . My newest one, I havent run anything other than the 325 gr factory loads in. I shot both the 325 gr factory XTP and the 410 gr Buffalo Bore . And handloads with the 400 gr Speer plated bullet @ 1200 fps.
    The 400 + gr loads @ 1200 were alot nicer to shoot than the 325s at nearly 1400 fps.
    Really, not a problem to control from the 7 1/2" SRH.
    Last edited by Cold Trigger Finger; 02-13-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    You are being watched.

Last edited by Cold Trigger Finger; 02-13-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    You are being watched.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    The !&@#^*#% you say! If he's handgun distance from a big brown, he needs a HOWITZER!
    500 linebaugh may be just that.

Elmer Keith had figured out that around 70 percent meplat is the hardest hitting and most accurate.

I got a 454 for grizz and pray every day I don't have to use it for that intended purpose.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A 500 L is a great cart. I dont know of anyone using one on a bear. Tho I do have a couple friends that have them. They dont live on the coast, so they arent around alot of bear. I do know of charging brown bear being killed with full house 500 S&W . With 400 gr Seirra bullets on top of 40 gr of H110 iirc. It worked amazingly well.
    But, I have a 480. The 4th 7.5" SRH Ive had. I trust it around brown bear more than I do the 44 mag.
    You are being watched.

I dont know if Elmer ever used his cast bullets on brown bear.
    I still don't know why the 70% or 80 % rule applies or exactly to what degree it applies. For close range on bears.
    I'm not saying it doesn't, I would like to know if there is, are or were tests conducted with up to 95% meplat diameter.
    You are being watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    I dont know if Elmer ever used his cast bullets on brown bear.
    I still don't know why the 70% or 80 % rule applies or exactly to what degree it applies. For close range on bears.
    I'm not saying it doesn't, I would like to know if there is, are or were tests conducted with up to 95% meplat diameter.
    He probably didn't, and he probably didn't go much bigger than 44.but. he DID do A LOT of testing, and meplat diameters.

The Keith swc is a fantastic all around bullet. Sure, a larger one may hit harder, a lfn will be more accurate blah blah blah...

Hell, for bear you might even want to cast straight linotype in a wadcutter shape, like buffalo bore's stuff usually is.

Personally, I'm loading my 454 with solids.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post

A short barreled shotgun loaded with slugs is a MUCH more effective arm against a brown than any revolver made. You or the bear will never know the difference in meplat of your 420gr boolit. Shot placement is WAY more important than meplat, a well placed shot won't matter what meplat you use.
    The problem is that what bullets are in the gun is something that can be planned and accomplished.
    Where as getting in a perfect shot may not be. Bear problems happen where and when they do. A plan can be made for if one occurs but if you are in a dense bear area in thich brush like is found in S.E. Ak. You really Never know when you will bump into a bear or a bear will bump into you.
    Granted being a very good shot helps . And no doubt I need to continue to work on my shooting.
    As far as shotguns go, if I'm in a situation wgere I can have a long gun. I use my 458 Winchester. Its vastly superior to a shotgun for dumping brown bear.
    You are being watched.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    He probably didn't, and he probably didn't go much bigger than 44.but. he DID do A LOT of testing, and meplat diameters.

The Keith swc is a fantastic all around bullet. Sure, a larger one may hit harder, a lfn will be more accurate blah blah blah...

Hell, for bear you might even want to cast straight linotype in a wadcutter shape, like buffalo bore's stuff usually is.

Personally, I'm loading my 454 with solids.

When I had a F.A. M 83 Field Grade I tried some Cor Bon factory ammo with 320 gr Belt Mt.Punch bullets . If I remember they were going around 1625 fps. I couldn't find anything that that bullet didnt penetrate straight thru. I am considering trying the 380 gr in my 480 . But they are $2.50 a piece.
    In the long run thats cheap insurance. As long as they do a great job.
    You are being watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    When I had a F.A. M 83 Field Grade I tried some Cor Bon factory ammo with 320 gr Belt Mt.Punch bullets . If I remember they were going around 1625 fps. I couldn't find anything that that bullet didnt penetrate straight thru. I am considering trying the 380 gr in my 480 . But they are $2.50 a piece.
    In the long run thats cheap insurance. As long as they do a great job.
    Those freedoms are gorgeous guns. Being in the state they're made in I see a decent amount at local shops. Probably the smoothest revolver I've ever touched

Yup, it was. I wish I still had it. It was something of a handfull at max velocity . But wasnt too expensive to shoot with 45 Colt handloads. It was with that gun that I learned the 360gr Oregon Trail cast wfn bullet couldnt stand up to a bull mooses forehead. Well, at 1500 fps, it shattered it, but that bullet desintergrated. I was not impressed.
    I would like one in 475 Linebaugh.
    You are being watched.

Banned

I love the .475. I have the BFR but I played with a friends Freedom a lot. A little harsh so he bought the rubber grips. The Lee 400 gr had to be seated just right but my boolit fits them. Mine is 420 gr and I got down under 1" at 50 with the Freedom. Have to shoot them fast with the slower twist.
    I run the BFR at 1329 fps, blew 4 gallon jugs sky high, split the fifth and penetrated 17 jugs in a straight line. I thought sure we could catch a boolit but I don't know how many jugs I would need.
    The 480 is a little slower but might even penetrate more so if a bear can stand up to either it is time for a cannon.
    No way I could pull a quick draw so I would have the gun in hand in bear country. Better then a rifle or shotgun slung over the shoulder. A long gun would also be in my hands. Those critters are FAST.
    Velocity is not the do-all, I shot through a 16" box elder tree with my .45 Colt at 1160 fps. 320 gr. Also cut a 1" grape vine at exit and never found the boolit in the ground. The .475 did not know a tree was there.
    The .480 will do it.

Banned

I forgot to mention I use just WD WW metal of about 20 BHN. They never break.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast