RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Neck too short for cast?

Neck too short for cast?

the 9.3X62 has a fairly short neck, before I venture into casting for it, does it make it harder to load,choose molds? does it cause any problems in general? I keep hearing the 35 whelen is better for cast, what does everyone here think, preferably people with experience with the 9.3X62 mauser. thankyou very much-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    the 9.3X62 has a fairly short neck, before I venture into casting for it, does it make it harder to load,choose molds? does it cause any problems in general? I keep hearing the 35 whelen is better for cast, what does everyone here think, preferably people with experience with the 9.3X62 mauser. thankyou very much-Travis
    I do not own either cal but I was thinking about a rebarrel for a savage action I own and if it was me

I would go 35 Whelen --- why --- no problems making it from 30-06 brass / lots of moulds around you can even use Pistol Bullets for plinker rounds,
    Jacketed bullet and Dies are easy to acquire (same cost) and usally in stock

Can you say the same of 9.3x62

it's easy to find shells for the 9.3X62 online, im just wondering if the short neck of the cases causes any problems with loading, my sks (7.62X39) they have short necks, and its hard to find boolits to fit without the GC sticking into the case or lube grooves hanging out the front , which is the better of the two situations! I have heard that having a boolit protrude into the case too far can cause high pressure, and I also wonder about the effects of all the powder sticking to the lube, as in they might be abrasive, and it could cause inconsistencies.
    Last edited by Oklahoma Rebel; 02-13-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Will you repeat the cartridges (from the mag)?

If you single feed then go for as long as it will chamber. Centered in the front by the rifling and in the back by the case, win-win.

I have found better acurracy if i only lube the bottom one or two grooves.
    Strange SD numbers (and fliers) can occur if the boolit is to slippery.

The main problem with seating (to) deep is: There are equal pressure in front and back of the check and it might pop of reentering the case neck. A bullet going mach1 hitting a stuck check = bulged barrel.

There is no question that a short case neck reduces your options. It all depends on the throat. Unless you already have a lot of .358 molds to try, you will probably have to make a cast of the throat and send it to the moldmaker anyway. In which case, there is no reason not to go for the 9.3.

Boolit Master
    300 Savage has a short neck. Many folks reload using cast bullets. Lube grooves outside the case, gas check beloww the neck/shoulder. Accuracy - usually under 2 MOA at 100 yards. Short neck should not be a problem, with correct sizing and neck expansion, gas check fit should be checked and secure.

Boolit Grand Master

Neck too short for cast?

Seat the base below the neck, problem solved. I reload for the 300 Savage and this is standard practice. While a longer neck makes things easier. You work w/ what you have when it comes to certain cartridges.

Boolit Master

Correct me if i am wrong but wasnt it a paper patched lead cast boolit originally.
    be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    I've shot about a thousand of the 286gr NOE boolits thru mine the last two years. Zero issues to date.

LeeBuilder, the case dates back to Otto Bock in 1905. The Boers used them to kill everything (in quantity) on the African continent. The minimum .375 caliber for dangerous game allows the 9,3mm cartridges.

Rich

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Seat the base below the neck, problem solved.
    I shoot a bunch of short necked cases with cast! Don't worry about seating below the neck!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

cool, thanks guys! sharpshooter, I like the noe mold, if I can get one while they are available, they go fast! have you killed anything with that boolit, and do you have a recommended load? I was thinking I will start with around 50 grs of imr or h 4895 and work up to find a sweet spot. what powder do you prefer? thanks again, Travis

I have found several good boolits at accurate made specifically for the 9.3X62, so when I get it I will be set. iam going to get a mold with a 250gr cavity and a 285gr cavity, I figure that should cover whatever comes my way, the 250 for deer and small hogs, the 285 for big hogs, and elk/moose, which I hope to hunt one day