Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BlueStar Gas Stove

BlueStar Gas Stove

Anyone have one of these gas stoves? The manual says you can't use it during a power outage! What is that?

Has anyone tried using yours during a power outage, how did it go?

THX
    Last edited by ol skool; 02-12-2017 at 11:22 PM.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Boolit Master

I don't have a BlueStar. My propane cooktop (LG) has a 110 volt plug for the igniters. During an outage I could light the burners with a match/lighter, but as designed it would not light during an outage.

Banned
    Most gas cooktops can be used without electricity if you simply light the burner with a match.
    The gas oven is a different story. Some gas ovens will work just fine without electricity as long as you can light the burner but some require electricity to operate. The older ovens with pilot lights will generally work independent of electrical service. The newer models without pilot lights that have electric igniters and electronic thermostats will not work without mains power.

If the oven has an electric igniter and no standing pilot light, it will probably not work if there is no electrical supply.

We've always had gas stoves and have used all of them when the power goes out. Simply light a match to fire up a burner.

SWMBO is in the process of re-doing her kitchen and wants a BlueStar. She's worked all her life and is now retired. Gardens, can's a ton of food for us during fall and is an amazing cook. She's earned it!

But BlueStar says no go with the power out.

Maybe we just need to hook one up and see if it it works or not... I'm wondering if this is BlueStar lawyers covering all the bases?

Anyone got one of these stoves?

THX
    Last edited by ol skool; 02-13-2017 at 02:39 AM.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Banned

I love gas stoves and the top burners can be lit with a match, not the oven. Gas will not turn on unless the thermostat gets hot. I can't stand electric stoves.
    But the grandson burned sausage last night. Used a frying pan with a heat transfer bottom and does not understand to turn the flame down. The knob says LOW.
    I don't think you can buy a gas stove now without a heating element for the oven. Pilot lights worked until blown out and kept feeding gas into the oven. Then a pilot light came out that needed heat to turn gas on, safer. But you had to hold a match a long time to heat the thing.
    Do you need the oven with a power outage? Use the stove top and cast iron to cook.

No we don't bother with the oven during an outage. I'm wondering if the company doesn't want to give anyone reason to try because of the oven's safety devices. I can't see why the stove top would work.
    μολὼν λαβέ

Banned

Stove top will work but not the sparks if connected to power. Many are NOT like the BBQ grill. Most gas stoves need power for the sparks.

Boolit Grand Master

It has electrical components, they control ignition and shut down in case of a gas leak .
    Not like old fashioned gas ranges which had a pilot light to light the burners and you lit the oven with a match. These could be used in a power outage. New and improved gas stoves with electronics are dead in the water without electricity. Ain't technology wonderful ! New and Improved my behind.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    New and improved gas stoves with electronics are dead in the water without electricity. Ain't technology wonderful ! New and Improved my behind.Gary
    Got that right. Constantly frustrated by today's gadgetry that assumes what you want/need to protect you from yourself, what is going on?

Well we're gonna get the BlueStar anyway. SWMBO said I have to buy her a generator if I want to eat and she can't light the burners. She usually gets what she wants...
    Last edited by ol skool; 02-13-2017 at 10:36 PM.
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    It has electrical components, they control ignition and shut down in case of a gas leak .
    Not like old fashioned gas ranges which had a pilot light to light the burners and you lit the oven with a match. These could be used in a power outage. New and improved gas stoves with electronics are dead in the water without electricity. Ain't technology wonderful ! New and Improved my behind.
    Gary
    Not necessarily true, I have a brand new Samsung, dual ovens, heck it's even connected to my wireless network and I've got an app to control the oven and timers. The stove top will work without power.

20 years ago when we bought our house we looked long and hard for a gas stove that did not need a plug in. Finally we ended up in a local store, salesman starts pitching us his expensive stoves, automatic lighting, etc. Finally I got fed up and asked. "and what do you do when the power goes out? Stove still work?"

Well I threw him for a loop. He stammered, sputtered, deflated. Then was honest, it does not work. I said we are in the market for a stove with no wall plug in. He walked us over to a nice new one. Pilot lights, but very small ones. We paid 200$, that stove has fed us, kept us warm and the house from freezing in power outages. It is starting to look a little worn. But I know I would have a much harder time replacing it.

It is a roper.

They are still out there. Or, if she really won't do without the fancy one. Pick up a spare propane camping stove and several cylinders of gas. That will work for when the power is out. And be a good backup as well. You have to keep momma happy.

Banned
    I've seen plenty of old gas stoves that would operate without electricity (cook top & oven) but I haven't seen a new one in about 20 years that the oven will work without electricity.
    That being said, I would still go with the Bluestar if that's what SWMBO wants. Happy wife = Happy Life.
    99% of the time that stove will work exactly as it should and the 1% of the time that the power is off the cook top can still be lit with a match as needed. That's not a bad compromise to get what she wants.

Boolit Master

Easy solution plug the 110 cord into a computer backup battery. not drawing much power so should last for a while.

Our computers, answering machine, water treatment system timers and TV's are plugged into them .

Boolit Master
    What and who is SWMBO?
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

perhaps the carbon monoxide ,in a confined space? is the reason to not use it?
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Grand Master

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed
    In other words, The Boss.
    A rose by another name.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Thanks < I hope you Guys don't say that to Her face
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Banned

Not ever, it is a man thing. Carol still want's to know BOOOLITS and says it that way. I tell her to just say bullets. There is no BOO there.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by badbob454 View Post
    perhaps the carbon monoxide ,in a confined space? is the reason to not use it?
    CO is not produced by a properly adjusted gas appliance, CO2 is. If you are burning yellow, with a floating flame like a candle and the flame tips are not defined you should get it fixed. Gas appliances are vented to remove moisture which it makes at about 1 gallon per 100,000 btu's depending on ambient humidity. With the fixed orifices in ranges for the last 20 years CO is difficult to create.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

My Traeger pellet grill is my no power backup, it will run off battery and inverter forever. Gas stoves actually use quite a bit of power when the hot plate igniter is running... 450 watts or so... so size your battery backup accordingly. Each time the burner lights it will run for a few minutes to make sure the burner lights. Plus the control electronics(always on) and gas valve all draw power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast