Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: The Power of Magma Star Sizer

Boolit Mold

The Power of Magma Star Sizer

Hello All , New to forum but been casting for two years been using a lyman 4500 to size and lube my bullet's. I bought a Magma Star Sizer and everything you read about them are true, It's the Mack Daddy sizer. I like it so much I sold my molds and bottom pour pot and bought a Master Caster. Still have three more weeks before it come in. I had 3000 bullets to lube and size why I was waiting for the new master caster. And if you have a star then you know that 3000 was nothing for the star. So I went today and bought 400 lbs of wheel weights to give me something to do.
    Last edited by HATCH; 07-08-2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Remove rule violation

Boolit Master

You will not regret the purchase of the Star lubrisizer ... in fact, I liked the first one I purchased so much I bought a second one. There are some significant modifications that make them even faster. You can read all about them here on this forum. Big Boomer

Boolit Master

I thought you were going to say you can size a .454 bullet down to .429 in your Star. I know I have done it more than a couple of times.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats good to hear. I've been wanting one for some time, just have not made the commitment.

I've got seven Star Sizers and I'm eyeing another one...........

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Try a Lubemaster..... That's a Star on steroids!

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

I also have a Lube Master, and a Bullet Master, Mark 6, but those are set up at our shop, which is about 30 minutes away from my house. For casting at home, I have a Master Caster, and my assortment of Star Sizers to play with, plus about 200 molds. All I need is more time to spend casting and shooting.........

I'm retired, but those "leisure years" I was promised have yet to show themselves.....

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy

Fred, do you really need another Star sizer?? I now have 6, I just picked up another Star, got it with 4 dies and heater, young fellow couldn't make it work for him. It works fine for me. Now to find a spot for it. And, I have to agree with you about these "leisure years", they don't seem to be coming my way either.

PLUMBER1960, you will enjoy sizing bullets now that you have a STAR Sizer. **Get another Star Sizer, everyone should have more than one**
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Paul,

One never buys because of need. It's all about wanting and ease of use. I've gotten too lazy to change size dies and lube, so I keep them set up for the combinations that work best. And in truth, I've got two of them loaned out to really good friends, which is why I'm eyeing that other one right now. I get tired of changing the one for .32 caliber bullets, and if I get that other one, I can just leave it set up for the .32's.....

I finally mounted all my Star sizers on 10" square plywood 2" thick. I use clamps to hold them to the bench and it's easier to change the machines around that way. My other brands of sizers are mounted on the same 10" squares for when I use them.

Yep, they're addictive............

Fred

Banned
    I mounted my Star and my Magma to a piece of 1/2" T6061 aluminum which is equipped with a 400 watt heater, temp probe, and PID. I use two C-clamps to mount it to any bench of my choice.

I've had my Star Lube/Sizer roughly 30 years. They do tend to spoil a fella'.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I thought you were going to say you can size a .454 bullet down to .429 in your Star. I know I have done it more than a couple of times.
    I realize you have done this before but personally I would be re-casting the bullets in the correct diameter unless I didn't own the correct mold and had no other choice. Accuracy in my opinion might suffer.

Banned
    Next we need to mention the air cylinder that provides a constant pressure on the lube. Far better than the original crank and size method. Also, the bullet feeder a great addition.

This poster has acquired a Bodine DC gear reduction motor and plans to incorporate the motor to run the Star and Magma sizers.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Next we need to mention the air cylinder that provides a constant pressure on the lube. Far better than the original crank and size method. Also, the bullet feeder a great addition.

This poster has acquired a Bodine DC gear reduction motor and plans to incorporate the motor to run the Star and Magma sizers.
    Yes I have already put the air cylinder on it. That makes it nice.

Had mine for awhile now and love it. I broke the return spring on the bullet feeder so I am sizing by hand. I may not bother going back to the bullet feeder. I find it just as easy and fast loading by hand. Once I get my new spring - I had it sent to a friend in Seattle along with some lube. I may end up selling the bullet feeder as it is not quite as handy as I thought for what I do. The Star is just so much better than my RCBS Lubricator I kick myself for not buying one years ago.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Banned
    You must be pretty slow sizing then. My spring broke and I went to the hardware store and purchased another one. There is no way that feeding by hand is going to come anywhere close to using the bullet feeder. Been there done that.

You must be pretty slow sizing then. My spring broke and I went to the hardware store and purchased another one. There is no way that feeding by hand is going to come anywhere close to using the bullet feeder. Been there done that.
    Did you get home five minutes faster?

I am in no rush and I am quite sure I don't care if your father can beat up my father either not do I feel a need to buy a 12" ruler Loading the short tube slows the process down significantly for me so I may just ditch the thing. If our local hardware store carried that spring I probably would have just picked one up. They don't so I didn't.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Did you get home five minutes faster?

I am in no rush and I am quite sure I don't care if your father can beat up my father either not do I feel a need to buy a 12" ruler Loading the short tube slows the process down significantly for me so I may just ditch the thing. If our local hardware store carried that spring I probably would have just picked one up. They don't so I didn't.

Take Care

Bob
    Bob,

I recognized the fact that the standard short tube was in itself a joke and modified mine with a turret tube setup that allows me to have at least a hundred bullets waiting to be sized and lubricated. A Bodine DC gear reduction motor waits for me to incorporate it into the sizer. Once that is done I can simply drop bullets down the tube while the machine does the work.

Bob,

I recognized the fact that the standard short tube was in itself a joke and modified mine with a turret tube setup that allows me to have at least a hundred bullets waiting to be sized and lubricated. A Bodine DC gear reduction motor waits for me to incorporate it into the sizer. Once that is done I can simply drop bullets down the tube while the machine does the work.
    Ah you are indeed in a different set of circumstances than I.

I cast up here when it rains or in, what passes for winter up here. I lube in the evenings when there is no NHL Hockey, CFL Football or Blue Jays on TV. Which means I lube mostly in the mornings in the winter, and only when it rains in the summer during the All Star break for baseball, Tuesday's when the Jays are the East Coast and never on Saturday/Sunday (NASCAR, Baseball, & CFL Football). When the sun is shinning I practice or shoot IDPA or just play with my guns at the range. Sometimes I just go fishing.

Take Care

Bob
    ps The Edmonton Eskimos are in 1st Place in the CFL, the Edmonto Oilers have Connor McDavid and the Blue Jays...well the Jays are the Jays and nobody out West really cheers for a Toronto team with enthusiasm.