WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 22 Nosler to ??

Boolit Grand Master

22 Nosler to ??

Looking at the brass, I was thinking of opening up the neck and making it along the lines of a 38-55 short for use in an AR15. Looking on my shelf, I saw a set of 357 Herrett dies and thought that this might be a good cartridge too, for the AR15. A 357 Herrett rimless!!
    Might work better because of the front rib in the AR mags might interfere with the 38-55 srl (short rimless)

Anyone got a 357 Herrett reamer laying around that I could use??

Moderator Emeritus

No, but I'd be very interested to hear about the results, and whether it fed or not. I like the idea a lot. Biggest problem I can see is the .30/30, on which the Herrett is based, is significantly larger than the .223. IIRC (probably not) the dia. of the brass at the head is something like .422???? The .223 is @ .378 from my faulty memory, so correct me on this if I'm wrong. This would indicate that what you'd probably want is a .35 cal. on a max. length case for whatever bullet you intend to shoot. You'd probably have to work backwards from the bullet length and crimp groove placement of the bullets you want to use. This should give you your best "ideal" case OAL from base to case mouth. Simply cutting off .223's would likely work, when sized appropriately, I'd think? Very interesting idea. I can't recall where, but I think this has been experimented with before somewhere??? Maybe someone here remembers?

Boolit Grand Master

Open it up to 35 cal and I'm interested. I've had my eye on the 358 Yeti for awhile now. But lack of barrels and dies has me looking elsewhere at this point. I like easy brass conversions so simply necking up the Nosler case is quite appealing.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Open it up to 35 cal and I'm interested. I've had my eye on the 358 Yeti for awhile now. But lack of barrels and dies has me looking elsewhere at this point. I like easy brass conversions so simply necking up the Nosler case is quite appealing.
    This is close...https://www.nosler.com/33-nosler/

Boolit Grand Master
    Blackwater---the 22 Nosler is .420" at the base vs .422 for the 357 herrett. Could send an AR barrel to JES for a rebore, as long as its not chrome lined!! Have already necked a case up to 35 cal and run it thru my 357 herrett die. I think it will work fine. Now, to find a 357 herrett reamer.

Necked to 7mm, then 30, then 33 and finally to 35. With a good taper expander, I am sure you could do it in one pass.

Banned
    20 nosler?

i luv the 20 vartarg(221 rem fireball necked to a .204" bullet), i'm just wondering what a 20 nosler will do?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Close but not there. I've wanted a 338 Federal for a long time. But I don't want to invest in new molds and all the other tooling. I'm completely setup for 35cal already. Would just need to build the upper and have at it. In reality I don't want to mess around w/ a proprietary case like this. That's what's made the Yeti so appealing. At this point there are so many wildcats it's impossible to keep up w/.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe a modified Herret on the 7.62 X 39 case would work better. Neck up the 7.62X39 case to 35 cal and blow out some taper. Save a lot of case trimming ( a 1/4" has to come off the 30-30 to get to Herret length).

Boolit Grand Master
    Country gent--22 Nosler is 1.76" long vs the 357 herrett of 1.765". Plus you get to use your bolt from the 223 as it has a rebated rim like the 284 win.

Boolit Grand Master

Okay misunderstood you first time, sorry. That's should work out well also. Will it have enough shoulder to headspace? and enough body taper to eject feed reliably.

Boolit Master

Duplicate post******************
    Last edited by oldred; 02-07-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    A 357 Herrett rimless!!?

Would be a 35 Remington!

357 Herrett without a rim is just basically a 35 Remington, take a look at the 35 Rem.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

I made a 357AR 357Max Rimless from 223 cases, but that 22nosler looks to be a great base for a .358" bore. The extra case taper would help in feeding and gain you some speed. The only down side would be the price of brass and reloading dies which really aren't a deal breaker, just another step to take. I had looked into using 5.45x39 brass as the parent case and making a die set, but went with the much cheaper and easy to find 223 cases and 357mag/max die set. I'm in a shotgun or straight walled cartridge zone for deer and I'd bet others would be interested in it as well.

Boolit Master
    Rockrat -

Howdy !

FWIW -

Shortened .35 Remington cases can be necked-down and case formed to make a rimless " .357 Bain & Davis ".
    I DK how much trouble the rim diam might be, in an AR format ?

.357AutoMag has the same case capacity as a .357 B & D, or a .357Max. Rim diam would be a little larger than
    the .35 Rem's.

With regards,
    357Mag

357AMP will only get you about 2000fps in a 20" barrel with a 180gr SSP before you hit 40K psi which is about it for a .473" case head in an AR15. You can hit 2300fps with a Max-rimless using the same bullet and keeping it under 60K psi. I wonder what the case capacity of a 450BM necked down to 357 would be? You'd still have to keep the PSI under 40K but at least you'd have a lot more case capacity.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 02-08-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/614049498

Attachment 188294

Attachment 188295

Seems obvious to me, but a short action bolt rifle with perfect brass for the 311041 is a no brainer.