Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: single stack mag. for 98 mauser in .308

single stack mag. for 98 mauser in .308

Does anyone make single stack mags that would fit a Zastava mod. 70 commercial 98 mauser?

I have one in .308 win. with a 4+1 double stack mag. It won't feed a flat meplat larger than .240 without hanging on the edge of the chamber.
    Even then, it has to be a boolit with sloping shoulders, like a 311299 with a flat nose.
    A truncated nose like the 311315 saeco won't feed at all. It has to have a rounded shoulder around the flat to feed into the chamber.

I was thinking a single stack mag. would solve this probelm?

A Mauser can benefit from feed ramp polishing like a 1911 pistol. I'm doing that on my 1916 Oveido 93 that I converted to 30-30 Win.to get flat points to feed better. Remove your firing pin for safety while you cut-n-try. Best, Thomas.
    There would be so much work involved on a single stack conversion it scares me.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can find the single stack mag then convert the rifle to it might be easier. A lot of the early modl 70 and 700 rem mag conversions for high power were done starting with m14 mags

Boolit Grand Master
    Not sure of the capacity, but the CZ 550's had a center feed removable magazine. I thought pretty hard about buying all the bottom metal for one of my projects. I know it would have worked because I did a trial run with the bottom metal from one of my friends' .308 CZ.

Robert

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I had thought of the cz 550 single stack mag., but didn't find any info on it on their site last night.

I may put a call in to them or a distributor and see what i come up with.

Boolit Master

Look at the ARCHANGEL stock for the mauser 98. Its a polymer stock with a removeable magazine and depending on your state, you can have a 10 round or a 5 round magazine for your use. If you live in a restrictive state like NY, they'll ship you the 10 round mag with a restrictor block mounted in the magazine. Anywhere else, they'll ship you the 10 rounder. It uses a double stack but the way the mag is designed, it brings the top cartridge up in the center of the magazine to be picked up the Mauser bolt and its extractor for ease of chambering and extracting.
    https://www.archangelmanufacturing.com/
    It can be modified to fit either a Model 98 or a Yugo 48 so it should fit your Mauser copy. It also allows you to adjust your length of pull and cheek height on the stock as well.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Wow, thanks bruce drake...I'll check on that for sure as i have an after market synthetic stock for a 98 mauser on mine now, and the action screws lined right up with it no problems.

Take a look at the extractor claw. You may need to make some adjustment to get it to popup a little sooner. The 308 is a bit shorter than the original round. I've increased the clearance between the bolt face and the back of the claw to help with this in the past.

Boolit Grand Master

35 Shooter

The Gibbs Rifle Co. made one for a standard M98 some years back. Don't know if they still make or have them. Not sure what length action the M70 Commercial Zatstava is.....they don't fit a M48 Zatstava but fit the M24/47 just fine along with other standard length M98s with the easily removed floor plate.

The use of these mags did indeed solve the feed issues with cast bullets having RN or meplats. The only other reliable cure for this problem I found was to alter the action feed rails so the cartridge slid out up under the extractor free of the rails before the bullet was pushed too far to the side and jammed on the rear of the barrel or internal shoulder.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 189079

Thanks Larry and map55b,

I kind of figured the extractor or rails could be altered a bit.....but not by me lol. I just don't know all the ins and outs of a mauser enough to try it.

I may take few dummy rounds to a smith if i can find one locally that's familiar the mausers, and see if one of them can do it.

I guess i'm lucky they got it feeding as well as it does at the zastava factory.
    It will feed any rn, and boolits with a rounded shoulder and smallish meplat.

Larry Gibson, yes , this is a standard length mauser action. It's supposed to be the same rifled action the old Interarms Mark X used.
    I looked on the Gibbs site the other day, but couldn't tell if they still make the mag. you were talking about.

I'll be making some calls Monday on everybody's suggestions so far and see what i come up with.
    If push comes to shove lol, i can live with it like it is, as it's super accurate and will funtion perfectly with both the 30xcb and the 188 gr. hunter boolits.

I do have a couple of other moulds, like the 311315(315 saeco) that i would like to make work in it though.

Boolit Master
    I recently been thinking the same situation with some of my recaliber jobs. I am of no authority on the military M 1's (the 308's) but do they sometimes use a single stack mag? I see double stack and my thoughts were to buy some(if single stack) and cut off bottom of mag to fit in the mauser stock. Might have to alter the spring but I believe it would be doable. Could be wrong about all of this also!
    Look twice, shoot once.