RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wet v dry tumble

Boolit Master
    went to wet tumbling and pins a year or so ago, the results are worth the effort which really isn't much.

Drying is done with a food dehydrator purchased at a local thrift store, usually 45 minutes has 800 to 1000 45 case's dry inside and out!

First thing I realized was I wasn't exposing myself to the dust of the dry tumble set ups, first time you wet tumble and see the black crud pour out of the hopper you realize how much of that you might be inhaling!!

In Lee reloading book, I can't remember which page or section, he mentions a family friend diagnosed with high lead levels, a search of the reloading area with swabs designed to test for lead came up negative??

Then the went into the area of the garage where he dry tumbled his brass, Bingo off the scale test swabs!

Thats when I started wearing a mask and gloves when getting my brass out of the old Dillon 2000, but the move to wet tumbling has been the best!

HM

Boolit Bub
    Plus 1 on HeavyMetal's suggestion for using the dehydrator for drying. Works like a charm. The labor intensive part for me is the rinsing. I handle each piece individually because I just don't trust those separators to get every pin out and I don't fancy sending a pin or two down the barrel with the bullet. Just my 2 cents.
    Temper is a quality that at a critical moment brings out the best in steel and the worst in people.

Boolit Bub
    I wet tumble, separating is a pain

Boolit Bub
    Which of the lemishine products do you guys use in addition to other cleaners when wet tumbling?
    Thanks!
    Scott

Been dissatisfied with dry all my life, and rotary pin tumbling looks like more of a hastle than I wanted. So, I decided to go a different route. Built a magnetic pin tumbler this weekend. Oh boy. First test run did 300+ 45 acp in 10 minutes. Cut back on the number of pins and brass, and while taking just a bit longer, there is less noise and vibration. Easy to do the rinses since there is no container that requires a cap. Just a bucket. Take it off and leave the machine running, dump the water and refil, and set it back on for a minute or 2, and repeat once more. Done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12