Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: .54 PRB and hogs

Boolit Bub

.54 PRB and hogs

My sons and I are going on our first hog hunt in Louisiana in April and my youngest son desires to use his Cabela's Investment Arms .54 and wants me to use my .54 GPR. We will be using prb and 80grs of fff (Goex) as we do for deer and plan to use same load for hogs from stands. Anything we need to think about with this load, providing they are under 100 yards. I raised butcher hogs for several years but I know these hogs are totally different in mindset, attitude and I hate to make any animal suffer.

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting those critters for a long time and yes they have a life force that is to be admired. I have hunted my whole life but nothing disturbs me more than a suffering anything. I was told back when I was a kid to draw an X on top centered on front shoulders and to shoot into the nose V or the butt V, and stay out of the shoulder if at all possible. The anatomy is a little different and the heart is well protected from side, if a broadside shot pull into back of shoulder as tight as you can. Head if you are really confident and the bottom of ear hole can be like switch off. Also caution approaching downed as stated earlier in regard to the life force thing, got the T-shirt.

Boolit Master
    You might back each other up while the shooter reloads.

Banned
    You'll be fine. Get a good behind the shoulder shot and they won't go far. My first hog ever I dropped at 50 yards with my 50cal hawken woodsman and 80gr goex 2fg, .490 round ball.

A .50 or .54 is plenty powerful to drop a hog. I knew of a guy who killed them with a .32. He did stick to smaller ones, however.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    If you two are comfortable with your rifles shooting accuracy. There is little reason for me to doubt a patched lead ball from either of you two won't dispatch a Feral pig as quick as a Dixie deer. Good Luck with your hunt sir.

Boolit Bub

.54 PRB and hogs

I live in Louisiana and just got back this morning from a 2 day hog hunt west of the Shreveport area. We go this time every year after deer season closes. Normally we bow hunt but this year I brought my Sharps 45-70 with 525gr, 70gr Goex FFg highlt compressed. Shot a 250lb sow at 55yds. It rolled over then got up and took off running. NO blood on the ground at all. 6 guys searched for over four hours and finally found it dead over 300yds away from the deed. Shot was just barely past the left plate low on thee chest. Through and through with at least a fistful of lung blown through the exit hole. When we dressed it at least a third of the heart was separated from the rest. How did it run like hell for 300 yds and not even bleed, it's lung blown out and that much heart missing? Who knows. Was a fat sow in good shape so that may have sealed but still.... way beyond reason and in my experience happens more often like that than not.

From hunting wild hogs for years with arrow, high power rifle, musket and BPCR, they are like hunting tanks with sharp sticks more often than not. In my mind, best you can do is practice to be comfortable with your weapon, place your shot as best you can from as close as you can. Then learn the art of tracking REALLY well. Spend whatever time it takes to track and find it. They really are challenging animals to hunt with crazy will to survive.

Banned
    just like bear hunting, fat seals up the holes quick.

Boolit Bub
    We are practicing with our .54s and becoming more confident each trip. I will be packing either my 357 or my 44 when I have muzzleloader in hand. I am getting excited about this hunt having missed deer season do to surgery this fall.

Boolit Buddy
    Your .54s will serve you fine. Put the ball where its supposed to go and you'll make bacon. My .36 Seneca with Maxi Balls makes quick work of em. Inside 75 yards it shoots every bit as hard as my .30-30. Your .54s will be fine as long as you don't gut shoot em.

Boolit Buddy
    What bullet were you shooting?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpsguy View Post
    What bullet were you shooting?
    If I use it for hogs its a 128gr Maxi-Ball over 60gr 3f Olde Eynsford. Roughly 2100fps.

Squirrels and small game is 25gr 3f OE with prb. Still a little hot for squirrels but its the load that shoots best with a prb.
    Last edited by jjarrell; 02-16-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Years ago I got a 200# + hog in Fla. with my .54 ML pistol. T/C Scout & a patched round ball. It barely made it out of the wallow after the well placed shot. Your .54 ML rifle surely outperforms my .54 ML pistol. It's all about shot placement. Go forth, worry free, and have some fun!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    years ago i got a 200# + hog in fla. With my .54 ml pistol. T/c scout & a patched round ball. It barely made it out of the wallow after the well placed shot. Your .54 ml rifle surely outperforms my .54 ml pistol. It's all about shot placement. Go forth, worry free, and have some fun!!
    amen!!!