• Toyota Tacoma

23 7.44%
  • Toyota Tundra

16 5.18%
  • Other

17 5.50%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Pickup Owners

A bit surprised we have as many Toyota owners as we do.

Boolit Buddy

'78 K20 w/ a 4spd. Can fix anything on it with a 9/16 or a hammer.... and a MIG welder. The other five Chevy/GMCs are all automatics so the 78 is my favorite. Cut my teeth on a 72 SS El Camino
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Banned

my best friend had a 65 cornbinder for his first vehicle in school. Id hate to make a guess how many beers were drank in that one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    We've got a 1966 1000A with a BG241 straight 6 and borg warner automatic. Have a 76 345 on the stand now about 1/2 put back together to swap in along with a rebuilt TF trans and torque converter. Daily driver is a 2012 F150 4dr 4x4 with the 5.0. Only has 35K on it so far.

Banned

"A bit surprised we have as many Toyota owners as we do"

12% not that big. They seem to be reliable and not everyone needs a heavy-duty work truck.
    If you need a light duty truck, seems to be a reasonable choice for the ​few who want to go in that direction.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "A bit surprised we have as many Toyota owners as we do"

12% not that big. They seem to be reliable and not everyone needs a heavy-duty work truck.
    If you need a light duty truck, seems to be a reasonable choice for the ​few who want to go in that direction.

+1 I've been a Toyota owner since '96 when we bought an Avalon. Kept it 10 years and bought another one in '06. Bought the '13 Tundra as a second vehicle and it has fulfilled that role very well. Just bought a '17 Avalon Limited for what may be our last car. I value reliability over a lot of other things that prompt people to choose a particular car.

I have to admit that, in buying the Limited, I violated my "keep it simple" principle. If we keep it 10 years, there will still be features on it that I haven't learned to use.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

1999 Dodge Ram V6

2016 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton diesel, 4 x4 Crew Cab

Still like the old '99 single cab best.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Moderator Emeritus

My truck wasn't really sold as a truck.. only thing it is missing is leather seats the rest if luxury city with power everything...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    A bit surprised we have as many Toyota owners as we do.
    Considering Toyota Tundra is tied with Ford at 96-98% American made, it doesn't surprise me one bit.
    If I wasn't about to buy a 5th wheel toy hauler I would've gone with a Tundra.

I bought the wife a Limited 4Runner 4x4. 4.7L V8 full-time 4x4 and everything else available in 2004. It now has 145,000 on it and other than tires, brakes, oil, and filters it has needed nothing else. Non of the power switches have faltered in any way.
    It's been the most reliable vehicle I've owned to date. My 99 Dodge was a close second but I had to have a lifter pump replaced, front end rebuilt, and a window motor replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by warboar_21 View Post
    Considering Toyota Tundra is tied with Ford at 96-98% American made, it doesn't surprise me one bit.
    If I wasn't about to buy a 5th wheel toy hauler I would've gone with a Tundra.

I bought the wife a Limited 4Runner 4x4. 4.7L V8 full-time 4x4 and everything else available in 2004. It now has 145,000 on it and other than tires, brakes, oil, and filters it has needed nothing else. Non of the power switches have faltered in any way.
    It's been the most reliable vehicle I've owned to date. My 99 Dodge was a close second but I had to have a lifter pump replaced, front end rebuilt, and a window motor replaced.
    I get that. I did quite a bit of research on what is currently the most reliable truck. And the answer is? Depends on who you ask. However, it would appear that Chevy currently comes out on top in many of the sources.

My truck is an '09 F-150. 5.4L 3V engine. It turned 200,000 miles on Wednesday of this week. Much like your 4Runner, it has only had wear/maintenance items replaced. Nothing else, not even the belts or hoses. It runs and drives pretty much like new.

Almost without exception, everyone makes a good/great pickup now. At one time Toyota certainly had much better reliability than the American counterparts, but that is no longer true.

Boolit Master
    Jeff I agree with you on American made vehicles vast improvements.

I did just read an article though of the 8 worst lemons on the road. GM had no. 1,2,and 3(Silverado). Ford had 4 and 5 and Chrysler/Jeep took the last 3 places.

Everyone can point out that one car they've or someone they know have owned that was super reliable but as a whole Honda and Toyota have been in the top spots for decades.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    They are out there, current production
    Most want dual use vehicles or a truck just used to move people around
    For the amount most people seem to need trucks, they'd be better of buying a nice car and an old beat up pickup. Many people with the nice pickups cannot even lay a sheet of plywood in the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by warboar_21 View Post
    Jeff I agree with you on American made vehicles vast improvements.

I did just read an article though of the 8 worst lemons on the road. GM had no. 1,2,and 3(Silverado). Ford had 4 and 5 and Chrysler/Jeep took the last 3 places.

Everyone can point out that one car they've or someone they know have owned that was super reliable but as a whole Honda and Toyota have been in the top spots for decades.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Tundra's had severe frame issues for a while.

My previous truck was an '08 Ram Crew Cab Hemi. It only had 71,xxx miles on it when I traded it in, but the only thing I had to replace was the oil, tires, and HVAC blower motor. Does that count?

Boolit Master
    right now I am driving the newest truck I ever owned. 1998 chevy k1500 wt. 4.3 v6 it hauls and tows great. I like the work truck. because it does not have all the electronics. I have to lock my own doors and wind down the windows. I am restoring my 69 cst short bed 396 4 speed

Super Moderator

I'm on my third Tacoma 4x4. These dudes are tough little trucks and I have had no problems of any kind with any of them. The dealership keeps sending me notices that they want to buy my truck, then I go down and haggle with them until I feel good about the price. The thing is, they really hold their value. I put 50-60K on them and get a new one for 10K or so with trade in.

Boolit Master
    depends on what the customer leaves for repair

Boolit Master

First I've heard about that. No matter. The way I use a PU and this will be the last one for me(barring a severe wreck), I doubt that any kind of frame issue will ever surface. This 2013 Tundra has hardly any electronics other than the radio, which is rarely used and the computer which controls engine function. It has the smoothest automatic transmission that I have ever experienced. Gas mileage is not the greatest but I only have approx. 22k miles after 3½ years. At 74, each year has fewer miles driven on both vehicles.
    John
    W.TN

Some years ago I worked at a Toyota dealership as a body mechanic. I got to drive em all and my favorite in the Toyota line was the Tacoma, it felt like a truck and was good as any mid size pick up made. The Tundra on the other hand just didn't have the truck feel, I was always looking for low tires or weak suspension. They just drove too nice, more like an SUV than a truck, (driving my '69 GMC 3/4 ton daily may have had something to do with that opinion I'll admit).

Then there was my favorite customers, a pair of deputies assigned to the district attorney's office. They used their issue 4-Runner as a ram on a few occasions, (maybe 3-4 times a year, we were on a first name basis after the first couple visits).

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    2016 Silverado High Country 2500, crew cab, 4x4, 6.0L, Deep Ocean Blue Metallic.
    Forgot to add its a "work truck"
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

'89 F-150 is my daily beater. Have a Chevy 2500 HD for the camping vehicle, the only new p/u I have ever had.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Master

My previous truck was an '08 Ram Crew Cab Hemi. It only had 71,xxx miles on it when I traded it in, but the only thing I had to replace was the oil, tires, and HVAC blower motor. Does that count?
    Are you sure you're not thinking of the Tacoma and frame rust issues in vehicles in the salty road areas of the country?