Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unsuccessful with my "New" 310 Tool

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    I agree and also noticed when I was resizing these cases that the normal bench mounted reloading dies don't actually resize all the way to the base of the casing like the Ideal/Lyman ones do. And that is where I ran into trouble. Just in the last 1/4" of sizing, and the first 1/4" of getting them back out of the die. So, I think I will have much better luck with some new cases. Then we will see what happens. Now I need to take a look at the Ideal No. 3 tool that I have for 32-40 and see what I can do with that one. If I can find some cases somewhere?
    It would appear that we are "between runs" of 32-40 brass from Winchester (who AFAIK is the only factory making it now.). Never fear though, it is easy to reform 38-55 brass, readily available from StarLine, into 32-40 specs. I've done it on a standard press using the regular FL sizing die from my 7/8 x 14 die set and making about two or three short passes to avoid grease dimples. I can tell you that the 310 tool will do a fine job with the resulting altered (or original) brass. Most of the loaded ammo I have shot in my original high wall has been made using those same little dies in a TruLine Jr press... the results were gratifying!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Ah! Someone else got bit. There I was with a new Lyman Ammunition Maker kit and a M1903A3 from the NRA. Bullets cast and sized in the sizing chamber. Cases carefully cleaned and sized in the 310 dies. Powder carefully weighed and loaded, 311291 loaded and seated and headed for the range. Man, this is great. I can do this. At my sand pit range, I loaded a round, attempted to close the bolt. NOT!!!! My cases had been fired in Garands, Browning MGs and probably BARs and were scrounged from the local military. No one told me about FL resizing and I was an ignorant 16 year old. Lucky I found a mentor with a FL sizing setup and he educated me on that point but I was a disappointed puppy that day and my bubble of enthusiasm had temporarily been burst that day on the subject of reloading. Fortunately, I learned a great lesson from that mistake./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Ah! Someone else got bit. There I was with a new Lyman Ammunition Maker kit and a M1903A3 from the NRA. Bullets cast and sized in the sizing chamber. Cases carefully cleaned and sized in the 310 dies. Powder carefully weighed and loaded, 311291 loaded and seated and headed for the range. Man, this is great. I can do this. At my sand pit range, I loaded a round, attempted to close the bolt. NOT!!!! My cases had been fired in Garands, Browning MGs and probably BARs and . . . . /beagle
    Well today I stopped by Midway and picked up 100 brand new 30-06 Winchester cases, I have 200 311291's sized at 0.310". And a can of 2F black powder to use in these cartridges for that antique M1903A3 I got from my grandmother after my grandfather died about 20 years ago. And my 310 tool all cleaned up and ready to reload!

Did I miss something? why are you using black powder in an 03a3?
    I also resent you calling it an antique -- it is at least ten years younger than I -

Well today I stopped by Midway and picked up 100 brand new 30-06 Winchester cases, I have 200 311291's sized at 0.310". And a can of 2F black powder to use in these cartridges for that antique M1903A3 I got from my grandmother after my grandfather died about 20 years ago. And my 310 tool all cleaned up and ready to reload!
    You are joking about using black powder in the O3A3 right? If not you are not going to be happy.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavogrande View Post
    Did I miss something? why are you using black powder in an 03a3?
    I also resent you calling it an antique -- it is at least ten years younger than I -
    I apologize for implying that you are an antique and actually plan to use up some older tin cans of IMR-4320 and IMR-4350 that I have had laying around for too long. I recently finished up some of those tin cans of IMR-4064 and W-760 that were all kind of getting rusted looking. And replace them with the newer plastic bottles they have been selling for the last 10 years. About 20 years ago I had switched to shooting all lead projectiles and stopped using the powders more useful for jacketed bullets. So, I have been burning lots of IMR-4895, IMR-4198, SR-4759 (which I can't seem to find anymore), 2400 and faster powders like that. And also a bunch of shotgun powders like PROMO for trap shooting the 12 gauge.

I intended a smiley after that -- tough to get antique

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I've been using 310 tools for quite while when I want to get nostalgic and be a little different. I usually use them for 38 Colt Short & Long & Special, 45 Colt & Schofield and for my 8 X 57 (8mm Mauser) nd 30-30.

I'm only loading 8mm in cat sneeze loads for the old GEW98 but here is what I learned through trial and error.

Since most of my 8mm (bottleneck the same as your 30-06) is once fired - in what is unknown - I always full length size the brass in my standard press with a good FL die. After that, all I do is "neck size" the casing with the 310 tool and a neck sizing die. All the rest of the operations I do with the 310 tool. The same with my 30-30.

Even if you load them with normal loads, as long as they are shot in the same rifle, they should work just fine if only neck sized since they have conformed to the chamber of the rifle. If you have more than one rifle - separate and label your brass for use in a particular rifle.

Remember that die sets were made for the tongs and die sets were made for the Tru-line presses. Yes, most will interchange but I have run across several FL sizing dies for the 30-06 that were used in a Tru-line press. Ho common they are, I don't know. Don't give up on the 310 tool and dies. I have had to "assemble" some die sets and even have altered some dies to get what I need to work for what I'm doing. - 38 Colt Short is one of them.

I try to get the older steel tongs - I hate the aluminum ones with the various inserts as they aren't that strong. When looking for a set to use for 30-06, remember that any steel tong made for a cartridge with the same base size/style should work. The 30-06 and 8mm tongs are interchangeable. The steel tongs I use for my 8mm Mauser are tamped 30-06.

As far as the old Lyman drive in whack a sizer dies - I have them for all the cartridges I have 310 dies for - why? I don't know as I have never had much luck with them. If I need to FL size any cartridge, I use a standard press and FL die. Even on straight walled pistol cartridges, if fired in the same revolver. all that should be needed is to neck size.

Good luck and don't give up on it - there is nothing more satisfying than producing good loads made by hand on a 310 tool or an old Ideal tong loader.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavogrande View Post
    I intended a smiley after that -- tough to get antique
    As long as we all keep active shooting and doing other things to enjoy the outdoors we will avoid the approaching problems the younger generation seems to be conflicted with in all of their sitting around playing with their cell phones and getting fat and lazy. My mother keeps wanting me to come over and take her and her bass boat out fishing because she says that she is having trouble backing it into the water and launching it at her age (she is 92). So keep up the shooting and fishing! It will make you last longer.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    DonMountain - Good for your mother and good for you! I know a lot of 90 something year olds that act like they are 18 and stay active everyday . . . . and I know a lot of 18 year olds that act like they are in their 90s! Many of them can't look up from their cell phones long enough to see the beauty of what God has created for us . . . sad.

well I am thankful for my 11 year old grandson helping me with the blessed cell phone --
    i just wanted a phone but the darn thing does everything but the washing --

Boolit Master

I guess I am one of those "antiques" but man Have I had fun getting here. I can remember a lot of things that I wish were true these days but aren't. One being, that in the older days, one could send a 1903 Springfield rifle to the Springfield Armory and get it reworked for practically nothing. If you had a low numbered action, they would replace it with a brand new high numbered action. Shotgun shell were .50 a box at full retail stores. And Sears actually sold houses in kit form. Here I go down memory lane again. james

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I guess I am one of those "antiques" but man Have I had fun getting here. I can remember a lot of things that I wish were true these days but aren't. One being, that in the older days, one could send a 1903 Springfield rifle to the Springfield Armory and get it reworked for practically nothing. If you had a low numbered action, they would replace it with a brand new high numbered action. Shotgun shell were .50 a box at full retail stores. And Sears actually sold houses in kit form. Here I go down memory lane again. james
    Thats funny you should mention the Sears houses. My 92 year old bass boat fishing Mother still lives in the Sears house that was built in the 20's. The one I grew up in. The original previous owners who had it built told us they had brought it by rail to the local freight yard and a local builder went up with a tractor and hay wagons and stacked up all the pieces and brought them out to the farm where they built it on a cinder block foundation they had constructed. My parents bought it in 1958. And I think the original booklet of Sears house plans is still in the attic somewhere.

Thats funny you should mention the Sears houses. My 92 year old bass boat fishing Mother still lives in the Sears house that was built in the 20's. The one I grew up in. The original previous owners who had it built told us they had brought it by rail to the local freight yard and a local builder went up with a tractor and hay wagons and stacked up all the pieces and brought them out to the farm where they built it on a cinder block foundation they had constructed. My parents bought it in 1958. And I think the original booklet of Sears house plans is still in the attic somewhere.
    Somewhere, where it doesn't show, there is a number stamped on every board and timber that corresponds with the numbers on the plans. Identical boards have identical numbers.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Somewhere, where it doesn't show, there is a number stamped on every board and timber that corresponds with the numbers on the plans. Identical boards have identical numbers.
    Now you have peaked my interest in the Sears house. I happen to be going to visit my Mother in a week for her birthday. Its an 1100 mile ride from Mid-Missouri where I live, so I plan to stay for a week. I will see what I can find and take a closer look at the house. I know about 20 years ago they took the back wall out of it and extended the house for a larger kitchen and dining room/bathroom combination on the first floor. I designed the steel work for the wall removal, but I wasn't there when the contractor (their next door neighbor) took out the back wall and did the construction. I will ask my brother and my Mother what they remember about the numbers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12