Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wish!

Boolit Master

I wish!

I'd love to see someone come out with a .25 caliber round with a case length of around 0.750-0.080, rimless, loaded with a 60 grain bullet at around 1900-2100 FPS. If the case needs to be a bit longer then so be it.

I'd like to see Ruger build a carbine similar to the 10/22 for this cartridge. Perhaps build a revolver for it to. Henry could build a lever action.

Basically something that's just a bit more powerful than the .22 mag. Something very inexpensive to reload. Sips powder. Gives decent performance out to about 150 yards on small game.

Then we could load it down to .22 LR levels for less than the cost of .22 LR!

In other words a modern .25-20 round that can be fed through semi-auto actions with no problems.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master

Tex
    As I was reading your post I was thinking of my reply until I got to the last line. I so wish I could afford a 25-20 single shot. Maybe even a single six in 25-20 would be good as well. I think either would be a great cast shooter and tin can killer.

wcp4570

Boolit Master

Something like the M-1 carbine??
    OR necked down to 25 cal??
    Called the 25 Johnson?
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Some of those actions you specified tend to prefer rimmed cartridges.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish they would produce 25 Stevens rimfire cartridges again. I have a Stevens Favorite just begging to be shot.

Banned

you could always neck the 9mm down.

256 win mag ?

Boolit Master

I'd rather it be straight wall or slightly tapered.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

Boolit Grand Master
    Look at the .25 Hornet. It is tapered so cannot use carbide dies. At least parent brass is available.

Don Verna

Banned

Some one is necking up the .223/5.56 to 0.257 which is rimless. Too big?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Some one is necking up the .223/5.56 to 0.257 which is rimless. Too big?
    Full length? .25-45 Sharps.

Much larger than I'd want or need for a casual plinking cartridge.
    Semper Fi!

Banned

I'd take a good look at the 5.7X28 case.
    necking it up to 25 cal would be a breeze.
    you could easily blow out the step in the little shoulder and make it a tapered case so it headspaces on the case mouth.
    kind of a smaller version of the 30 carbine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I'd love to see someone come out with a .25 caliber round with a case length of around 0.750-0.080, rimless, loaded with a 60 grain bullet at around 1900-2100 FPS. If the case needs to be a bit longer then so be it.

I'd like to see Ruger build a carbine similar to the 10/22 for this cartridge. Perhaps build a revolver for it to. Henry could build a lever action.

Basically something that's just a bit more powerful than the .22 mag. Something very inexpensive to reload. Sips powder. Gives decent performance out to about 150 yards on small game.

Then we could load it down to .22 LR levels for less than the cost of .22 LR!

In other words a modern .25-20 round that can be fed through semi-auto actions with no problems.
    Tex,
    Longer Versions of the .25ACP ARE Possible by swaging down the diameters of 5.7x28mm cases or .22 Hornet cases.

- The 6.35x26mmSR is a Swaged down 5.7x28mm trimmed to 1.024" case length and loaded with a .250"-.251" diameter Bullet.
    - The .25-10 Halsted is a Swaged down and Trimmed .22 Hornet case trimmed to 1.250" case length.
    - The 6.35x28.6mmSR is a 5.7x28mm swaged down and trimmed to 1.125" case length.
    - The 6.35x32mmSR is 5.7x28 Swaged down and left at the Length resulting from the swaging Process, originally 1.250"-1.260" but lately 1.230" as FNB has Revised their cases.

As a.22 Hornet Full Length swaged down to .276" body diameter come out about 1.380" case length, they can be trimmed to shorter Lengths, and the rims Turned to thin and reduced diameter so as to fit Lengthened .25ACP Chambers; or even .25 Stevens Chambers as Center Fire replacements.

I am Presently Experimenting with Swaged down 5.7x28mm FNB Cases trimmed to 1.055" as .25 Magnum Auto (similar in case length to .22 WMR) and Trimmed to .960" as .25 Automatic Long rifle (similar in case length to .22WRF) cartridges using both 50 grain FMJ and 63 grain Lead bullets. Eventually i will expand the range to 35 grain JHP and 75 grain JSP bullets.

I have A Ruger Convertible Single Six that I had Modified to a .25ACP Single Eight with a custom made 10-5/8" long 1:9.8 inch twist .25ACP/6,35 Browning Barrel (Lothar Walther Blank).
    I also have a Stevens Model 44 that is in the Process of converting to Center Fire with both a .25 Stevens /.25ACP Barrel and a .32 Long Colt Barrel being fitted.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 01-13-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I'd take a good look at the 5.7X28 case.
    necking it up to 25 cal would be a breeze
    you could easily blow out the step in the little shoulder and make it a tapered case so it headspaces on the case mouth.
    kind of a smaller version of the 30 carbine.
    A lot of good ideas here, but this one might be the best one yet for a semi-auto carbine.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Germans made a cartridge for Schuetzen you might look at... it was basically a 38 Spl case tapered down to take a 25 cal bullet. I think they called it something like "6.5 x 27" or some such and it's long since discontinued, but you could easily have a reamer made, brass would be cheap, and you could open up a 22 chamber in a revolver or cut the original chamber in a new 25 cal barrel to shoot your own version of this round.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

How about necking up a 22 TCM? They already have a rifle made for it, just need a barrel swap.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    How about necking up a 22 TCM? They already have a rifle made for it, just need a barrel swap.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

wondered that myself.

although i do have a tcm in 1911 platform (single stack)

and it shoots cans nicely!

got a big boom and big flash....not much recoil tho.

Boolit Master

Supposedly the reason that the .25 Stevens rimfire was dropped was the difficulty of forming rimfire brass that long.

With the advances we have had in powder and in forming techniques, why not a .25 on a case the length of a .32 Mag or .327 in rimfire./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by rwadley View Post
    I wish they would produce 25 Stevens rimfire cartridges again. I have a Stevens Favorite just begging to be shot.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

If they wanted a bigger rimfire, that necked down .27 caliber nailgun cartridge Winchester sells as a .17 could easily be a .25. I suppose if they thought there was a market for it, they'd be selling them. Maybe you guys need to start a letter writing campaign to make it happen!

-Nobade

Moderator Emeritus

I've been wanting and toying with making up some sort of .22 cal. instead of a .25, sort of as a substitute for .22 LR in low powered rounds, and up to .22 mag. or better in full loads, and various points in between. I've finally settled on either the 5.7x28 or the Hornet case shortened to @ 1" oal case length. Some facctors I've thought about are that the Hornet's fairly thin brass would allow case expansion at low pressure levels, and should also be fine at full load potential. The 5.7x28 I have no experience with, so can only wonder how it'd do with low pressure loads. Would it seal off the chamber with very low pressures? I don't know. Does anyone have any insight into the potential of the Hornet vs. 5.7 proposition, with very light loads? The 5.7 is designed to operate as issued at high pressures, so I'm wondering if it'd expand to seal off the chamber in very light .22 LR std. vel. type applications. Anyone got any insight/experience with this? This has been one of those temptations that just won't seem to go away for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast