MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: mauser 98 redo.

Boolit Bub

mauser 98 redo.

I have a Mauser 98 ger in 8mm. Barrel is dark and won't group. Can this barrel be rebored to 358win, 35 whelen, or 375win. Thinking of 375win first, but do not know about it feeding properly. Also thinking on JES for the rebore. Any thoughts on this would help me decide.
    Bill

The rim on the 375 Win. might make for tricky feeding. Instead of the re-boring, why not re-barrel? Then your selection of cartridges would be much greater--even the original 8x57mm if you wanted. If the rifle is already sporterized it has lost much of it's collector value, and a re-barrel job won't hurt anything. If it's still in original configuration and you wanted to keep it that way and retain the collector value, then finding and re-barreling with an original barrel is an option.

Boolit Master
    If I were you, I would look into a replacement barrel in the caliber of your choosing.
    A step down from the .375 would be the .35 Whelen, and unless you are going to Africa, or Alaska, it will knock the snot out of everything.
    And the .35 Whelen is a more common and cheaper cartridge to shoot.
    Plus easier on your Shoulder.
    And for the next step down in a BIG Bore, would be a .358 Winchester.
    And for reloading, you can use .30-06 or .308 cases repectivly.

Boolit Master

.338/06

The .375 Win is a rimmed cartridge, a non-starter for feeding through Mauser 98 actions.

Jes does excellent rebore/rerifle work, and the easiest cartridge (rework-wise) would be a re-bore from 323" to .338", using necked-up 8x57 Mauser brass - but does entail re-loading for the wildcat cartridge.

His rebores start @ $245, depending on the number of rifling grooves desired (his least-expensive, 3-groove, is plenty accurate).

The next best IMO, would be a rebore to .358", for the .35 Whelan (a necked-up .30-06) - for which cartridges can be bought commercially and/or handloaded for using .30-06 brass.
    Besides the rebore, the barrel would also need to be re-chambered.

AFAIK, any cartridge based on the .308 Win case, used in a military Mauser 98 would most likely need some work on the underside of the receiver's cartridge feed surfaces, for reliable feeding.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

like Geezer I am a fan of the .338-06 it was my first 98 Mauser build and is still a very loved rifle, I can think of nothing in North America that I would not be willing to hunt with it including the big bear.
    But the 35 whelen would be easy to find brass and ammo for, and in this group lots of molds available.
    for either one green mountain barrels are available from Midway and they have worked out for me a few times. They are short chambered.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    .338/06
    I also agree with this choice, you`ll never be sorry.Robert

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies. I have the 338/06 and a 25/06 on the mauser actions. This mauser has been chopped up by the previous owner. I was thinking of just using it as is for a foul weather hunter if I could get it to shoot better. 35 whelen with the proper twist rate for lead boolets is looking like the best choice so far as my shots would be less than 150 yds. The action is good and tight and is modified and drilled for a scope and the bolt handle has already been altered and the barrel has been cut to the front sight and recrowned I got the rifle very cheap because of the poor barrel, this guy did not test it before putting money into it and got discouraged. I am getting 12 inch groups at 100 yds with it.

Boolit Master
    A new barrel is the way to go. For foul weather a stainless barrel would be worth the extra money in peace of mind. A .375-06 improved would give you that .375 bore. You don't need to use full power, 9.3x62(?) otherwise I would go with .35 Whelen.

Boolit Master
    8mm take-offs are a dime a Dozen...Any ole Large ring 8mm barrel with good lands and grooves screwed onto your action, then Chambered to 8mm-06 to clean up the Throat mostly...and...One very good rifle...with alot of "Punch"..Cheap!!!!!

Boolit Master
    The 8mm-06 is a very good and cheap choice to make.
    I have two more Husquvarna Sporter Take off barrels in 8x57 that are waiting to be put on actions, and possibly chambered in the 8mm-06
    But I havent rechambered them yet because they may go on the shorter Yugo actions in 8x57.
    Replacing the barrel, with either a Good Take off, or a New Short Chambered Barrel, and even with setting the headspace or even Rechambering it, is WAY Cheaper than having an Old Barrel Rebored.
    And Quicker.
    I have in the past Waited for almost a year to get a barrel rebored and sent back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post

I have in the past Waited for almost a year to get a barrel rebored and sent back to me.

FWIW, Jes' (www.35caliber.com) turnaround is only a few weeks, the last time I had him do a barrel for me.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Thank you Pietro.
    If I need another Rebored, then I will check him out.
    But it was like 15 years since I did a project like that.

There's 9x57.

Boolit Master

9.1x57, .358 caliber on 8x57 case. More bullet selection than 9x57.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    9.1x57, .358 caliber on 8x57 case. More bullet selection than 9x57.
    Any issue with dies? Or is it easier to cast .358 and size them down?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    Any issue with dies? Or is it easier to cast .358 and size them down?

Size down???
    Nah...I like the Boolits larger in fact.....Now, with a 9x57...358 may be too much...Maybe.

I'm asking if 0.358+ boolits will fit in a standard 9x57 chamber neck.

How do you make a 9.1x57?

Rebore to 0.358 grove size, use .358+ moulds, but use standard 9x57 chamber neck and dies?

Or rebore to 0.358 and chamber with a slightly bigger neck and use custom dies?

Or can you just rebore to 9mm, use ordinary .358-dia moulds, then size the boolits down a little?

Boolit Master
    ^^ OH
    got it..the 9.1 is in fact .358..most simply buy or otherwise obtain a barrel already .358.
    Than chamber with a 35 whelen reamer except..only go X57 depth...Larry Gibson has done it and I have been looking at it ever since..If my 35 Rem didn't actually feed as well as it does, I would have already done a .358X57mm wildcat..
    just the next logical step up from 8mm to me...tho many like the 348. I prefer a More "mainstream" caliber..

All in keeping with the X57 Case so that feeding is much less likely to be an Issue...

Boolit Master
    The Mauser 98 has a big advantage over most other rifles, in that short chambered, threaded barrels of high quality are readily available (e.g. from Brownells) and easily installed. They include stainless ones of any reasonable calibre.

I would avoid a takeoff barrel unless it was from someone I trusted about its history. Barrels can be inaccurate for reasons that don't show up easily - or they can be removed when they are fine, purely to follow fashion. A .308 barrel with the chamber deepened to .30-06 (for example) would minimise the effect of throat erosion.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast