RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: New to me Muzzle loader

Boolit Master

New to me Muzzle loader

Went on Gunbroker & bid on & won this hybrid shotgun. Was made by a guy in Michigan is all I know. Came well packed & clean as a whistle with loading rod, extra Rem-chokes, a spare mule ear lock and a trigger assembly. Barrel is from an 870 apparently. Cherry Wood stock with adjustable comb. Gonna have to give it a try on doves next season with some Black MZ (used that stuff last season with great success) and equal volume #7. Thinking a Poly-choke II would be a slick addition to allow me to stuff in the load on open choke setting & then crank it down to full before I shoot. Will either work or not. The Black MZ never really fouled things up last season even after over 15 shots in my m/l that I was using it in. It lit off every time using Remington #10 caps. I experienced no sign of a dreaded "crud ring" either. So, I'm about to try it & find out. I can always use the choke in my 1100 ! So, here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170208_131747595.jpg  

Perma-Banned
    Neat looking gun!! I think those mule ear locks look neat, funky but neat! The poly choke idea sounds really good, trying to stuff wads, shotcards, through a full choke is a PITA! When i had my 12 Gauge New Englander barrel i carried a choke tube wrench and a cylinder choke tube to load, once loaded i swapped back to the Full, If a Poly choke works it will make life simpler for sure! Good luck with it!

Perma-Banned
    don't know from personal experience but have read that some people use thinner wool wads(use a couple or few) to successfully load their guns with the tube installed.

Boolit Master

For trap loads in a full choke just put the card wad in side ways and seat, it will turn flat with the loading rod. One or two card wads may be all you need. The felt wads are mainly for fouling control and really help in a long string. A 1/4 inch felt wad barely damp with soapy water and you should be able to shoot all day with out issues, more than 100 shots. Your gun looks like it was built for trap shooting, a fairly standard design at Friendship. Muzzle loading shot gun shooting is fairly big in Michigan.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Buddy
    Very interesting shotgun. Do you have any more photos? It looks like some fine work from the photo. I like the mule ear lock.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    Very interesting shotgun. Do you have any more photos? It looks like some fine work from the photo. I like the mule ear lock.
    Been a little busy but can sure take some time to get a few pics. thisscrewballprogramisnotputtingspacesbetweenmywor dsasItype.

Boolit Master
    This program is not putting spaces between my words as I type in response to a posting. As in when I hit reply...italllookslikethisdoesanyonehaveanyideas?

Boolit Master
    It happens when you use the "Reply with Quote" option. They have been going through a lot of the add-ons and such for the forums, trying to find the cause of the following:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-com-redirect
    Enabling and disabling the add-ons seems to be causing some unintended consequences, like the run on sentences!

...and to make matters worse, it's intermittent!!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    One example - start with post number 6014 in this thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...erator/page151

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    It happens when you use the "Reply with Quote" option. They have been going through a lot of the add-ons and such for the forums, trying to find the cause of the following:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-com-redirect
    Enabling and disabling the add-ons seems to be causing some unintended consequences, like the run on sentences!

...and to make matters worse, it's intermittent!!!
    Ok, nothing like good old process of elimination. Yup, doesn't happen when I just use "reply". Only when I try to use "reply with quote" . How about if I type reply first and then paste it into a "reply with quote" . Here goes... previously, this text looks good...OK here goes a paste into "reply with quote"..Well that worked and now I'm typing and it's ok. Only when I return to the same thread and use it more than once did it happen. Let me see if I can get back here...hmmm. here goes..

Boolit Master
    Weyill I' m trying to do a return post with just "quote" option...looking good...be right back with a post using a "reply with quote"...here goes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Weyill I' m trying to do a return post with just "quote" option...looking good...be right back with a post using a "reply with quote"...here goes.
    ok now using "reply with quote". Yup, intermittent Don...typing right in and showing spaces now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    One example - start with post number 6014 in this thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...erator/page151
    pfm I guess? Above my pay grade for sure!

Boolit Master

good to see you are doing well after your recent event. Just look at technology this way when it works it is great when it doesn't it is a real pain. Worked in that idiot field for over two decades and am so glad things have improved so much that when I call a techie with a problem they don't even understand the question I have, sometimes I end up just saying to heck with it and find another way to get it done.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    I know Stu, sometimes you have to find a tech that's smart enough to talk to.