Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: One size fits all lube?

Boolit Bub

One size fits all lube?

I'm looking for a lube that may not exist as it may be a “one size fits all”. I’ve shot muzzleloaders with patched balls and home cast bullets for many years. I am currently getting set up to cast bullets and reload smokeless for my .45 1911s and some smokeless but mostly black powder for my 1871 H&R .45-70 Buffalo rifle. I plan to keep the muzzle velocity low on both as I will be shooting (non-competition) mostly just paper. I have pan lubed muzzleloader bullets before so I can also do that again. I also have a Lyman 450 (no heater yet) which I would rather use but don’t like the idea of having to clean it out and change lubes when I switch from smokeless to black or from the 1911 loading to the BPCR .45-70. I’ve looked at many homebrew lube recipes here such as mixtures of beeswax, lithium grease, soap, waxes, Alox, and bookoos of other witches brews. Is there such a thing as a lube that will work for the purpose that I am trying to accomplish without having to switch lubes every time I reload something different?

Banned

bees wax-Crisco-lanolin
    60-40-10

Super Moderator

50/50 Beeswax and Olive oil has worked for me with BP and Low Velocity Smokeless. You can pour this into your 450 and not need a heater to use it.

Boolit Master

Add me to the list of people that lube there smokless and black powder bullets with the same formula

and yeah.. it looks like above.. crisco, beeswax, lanolin, olive oil, vasolene, plus some colored parafin to make it contrast and easy to see.

doesn't take much olive and lanolin.

Boolit Bub
    I like the mixtures of beeswax, Crisco, lanolin, Olive oil, and other natural ingredients. Having used those ingredients in the past for muzzleloaders I have to wonder how quickly they will go rancid. If I lube some bullets and then don't get back to it for a while, or long while, won't the mixtures with the natural ingredients be rancid? Would a need for longevity necessitate using a petroleum- based lube or one that at least contains some petroleum products along with the beeswax?

Boolit Master

For ultra long life, wax, beeswax, Vaseline.

Boolit Grand Master

Emmerts improved works good all around for lower velocities. Its a simple mix of 50% beeswax, 40% unslated Crisco shortening, 5% canola or olive oil, and 5% anahydrous lanolin. Another one that's decent all around is Darrs lube It 50% paraffin 40% Vaseline and 10% stp. Both are easy to make. I don't think you will need heaters for either one. The emmerts I use to Pan lube BPCR bullets and remove them from the cake with a cake cutter.

Boolit Master

Same here,though my recipe varies somewhat.I at least have it written down.I use it in everything,but black powder,and that's beeswax and lard.I call it Iron Will.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus