Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting through plate and armored steel...among other things

Banned

I don't think any of that plate is certified. Or I have the most bulletproof plates ever made. I have shot our plates with just about everything but a 338 Lapua. And there are no marks on ours. I have had the plates at 25 yds and shot them with 5.56 green tips and it barely made a mark. 308 and 7.62x51 with 125gr to 200gr NOTHING. 8x57 from just about every country they have imported ammo from in the last 17 years. Same as the 7.62x54R. Even shot some of the steel core Norinco 7.62x39. Only think that has ever made a mark was the 62gr green tips.

I was told it was AR500 but it may be something else?

In the picture, the angle helps and also would help if it wasn't hard mounted and was allowed to swing. But i agree that the rating on the steel is everything. 1 " cold rolled steel will be penetrated easily by any high speed jacketed bullet. A heavy AP500 plate that is allowed to swing will take almost any abuse and just need a coat of paint at the end of the day.

Banned

It does swing. I welded two j hooks on it about 3/4 up.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I don't think any of that plate is certified. Or I have the most bulletproof plates ever made. I have shot our plates with just about everything but a 338 Lapua. And there are no marks on ours. I have had the plates at 25 yds and shot them with 5.56 green tips and it barely made a mark. 308 and 7.62x51 with 125gr to 200gr NOTHING. 8x57 from just about every country they have imported ammo from in the last 17 years. Same as the 7.62x54R. Even shot some of the steel core Norinco 7.62x39. Only think that has ever made a mark was the 62gr green tips.

I was told it was AR500 but it may be something else?

ive got an AR500 plate (3/8") and it shrugs off M855 like everything else I've pounded it with, and it's been well abused. Everything from that M855 to 338LM to 45-70 and even 12ga sluggers. I have yet to break my current one. The last one developed a crack after several thousand rounds.

Another velocity story...
    Shooting at a pop can with a .32 S&W with factory ammo, taking hits the can tipped over in the grass.
    The next bullet flipped the can six or so inches into the air, hitting the exposed outer perimeter of the base and being retained by the folded aluminum, transferring all that energy to the target.

Everybody knows armor piercing rounds take care of steel...but...lead rounds, would they pierce or splatter?
    I would have lost money on this video if I bet...'splatter'.

CAST LEAD -VS- STEEL ( Penetration Test )
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned

I have not found anything that will shoot through my AR500 targets
    I imagine a .50 BMG would

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I have not found anything that will shoot through my AR500 targets
    Have you tried small and fast? Something along the lines of the 220 Swift? Just wondering because those little fast bullets usually rip through plates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Everybody knows armor piercing rounds take care of steel...but...lead rounds, would they pierce or splatter?
    I would have lost money on this video if I bet...'splatter'.

CAST LEAD -VS- STEEL ( Penetration Test )
    Its largely a velocity game. A rum of the mill lead core FMJ can easily penetrate hardened steel if going fast enough. Basic 5.56 M193 ball will punch a clean hole through most AR500 body armor or steel close tp that thickness IF fired from a 20in or longer barrel.

Early in WWII Poland developed an anti-tank rifle called the wZ.35 which was pretty effective on the tankz on the onset of the war till heavier tanks came out. It fired a pretty standard lead core 8mm bullet that would be right at home in any 8mm Mauser except that it was chambed in 7.92x107, a huge stretched out 8mm Mauser that sent that bullet out over 4000fps! At that speed it would penetrate armored vehicle's.

The mechanism at play in both examples above is with tremendous speed the lead bullet will flatten/mush onto the steel and the transfer of energy causes the steel to ring fracture around the impact point and the bullet passes through along with the displaced steel. In some of the steel body armor tests I've seen, they sometimes find a perfect little plug of steel that the bullet pushed out. The holes are often so clean they look like the work of a drill!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8_mm_patron_till_pansarvärnsgevär.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	191555
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Its largely a velocity game. A rum of the mill lead core FMJ can easily penetrate hardened steel if going fast enough. Basic 5.56 M193 ball will punch a clean hole through most AR500 body armor or steel close tp that thickness IF fired from a 20in or longer barrel.

Early in WWII Poland developed an anti-tank rifle called the wZ.35 which was pretty effective on the tankz on the onset of the war till heavier tanks came out. It fired a pretty standard lead core 8mm bullet that would be right at home in any 8mm Mauser except that it was chambed in 7.92x107, a huge stretched out 8mm Mauser that sent that bullet out over 4000fps! At that speed it would penetrate armored vehicle's.

The mechanism at play in both examples above is with tremendous speed the lead bullet will flatten/mush onto the steel and the transfer of energy causes the steel to ring fracture around the impact point and the bullet passes through along with the displaced steel. In some of the steel body armor tests I've seen, they sometimes find a perfect little plug of steel that the bullet pushed out. The holes are often so clean they look like the work of a drill!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8_mm_patron_till_pansarvärnsgevär.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	191555
    I always thought it was heat, all that kinetic energy concentrated on such a small area, I thought it must have generated really high temperatures and the kinetic part pushed it through.
    I've seen this video of lead splattering on steel...this is interesting... 1 million fps Slow Motion video of bullet impacts made by ...

Boolit Master
    I've seen that. Certainly a lot of heat is generated there. How a bullet penetrates steel is largely dependent on the properties of the steel like its hardness and also the bullet construction and impact velocity. When you see the steel crater outward towards the direction of impact indicates a softer steel. Mild steel will "flower" at impact as the steel plasticizes and flows. Hardened steel doesn't exhibit this from what I've seen and leaves a pretty clean hole by way of fracture or shear.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Did you notice how clean and large those holes were that Elvis Ammo shot in that 1/4" plate with the .223 and lead ammo?

I was dumfounded seeing that.

Banned

My AR500 targets are 1/2"
    No lead bullet will come close to penetration, period.
    It looks like 3/4" will stop most anything

Q: Do you offer a 50 cal rated steel target?
    A: Yes – new for spring 2013. They are rated for ball and brass solids. The targets are 3/4” AR500.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    THIS is AP:

M829 120mm, APFSDS-T

The [COLOR=#67B045 !important]120mm, M829 series, depleted uranium armor piercing fin stabilized discarding sabot-tracer (APFSDS-T) is the primary anti-armor 120mm smooth bore, M256 cannon, tank ammunition in service with the M1A1 and M1A2 Abrams tanks. This second generation kinetic energy projectile is [COLOR=#67B045 !important]capable[/COLOR] of penetrating the frontal slope of all fielded armor systems and it's high technology penetrator and sabot design provides a munition which is accurate at all combat ranges.[/COLOR]It's primary function is the destruction of threat tanks and armor fighting vehicles. Target penetration is affected strictly by the high kinetic energy of the DU core when it impacts. Like other DU munitions, these are identifiable by their black color with white markings on the projectile (pointed) end. M829 series ammunition is loaded and fired in the normal manner. This ammunition will not be fired over the heads of friendly troops unless troops are protected by adequate cover as they may be struck by the discarded sabot.
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ons/m829a1.htm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coWJDfcdR60
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Shooting through plate and armored steel...among other things

What's the powder charge for that? Can't be more than like 5 grains of Bullseye

Boolit Master
    reminds of the back plate I made for a friend. I got a bunch of the plates that were burned out of the bottoms of a m88 tank retriever. nothing would penetrate that big or small shined it up a little.

Banned

Ours have held up to a 243win shooting a 58gr Hornady Super performance factory round at 50 yds last week. We were trying to poke holes. It made a shallow dent was all. It is also 1/2" plate so that might be why it does not make any holes. It ran 4012 fps out of a friends Remington 700 with a 28" Krieger SS barrel with a 12 twist 5R rifling.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    THIS is AP:

M829 120mm, APFSDS-T

The [COLOR=#67B045 !important]120mm, M829 series, depleted uranium armor piercing fin stabilized discarding sabot-tracer (APFSDS-T) is the primary anti-armor 120mm smooth bore, M256 cannon, tank ammunition in service with the M1A1 and M1A2 Abrams tanks. This second generation kinetic energy projectile is [COLOR=#67B045 !important]capable[/COLOR] of penetrating the frontal slope of all fielded armor systems and it's high technology penetrator and sabot design provides a munition which is accurate at all combat ranges.[/COLOR]It's primary function is the destruction of threat tanks and armor fighting vehicles. Target penetration is affected strictly by the high kinetic energy of the DU core when it impacts. Like other DU munitions, these are identifiable by their black color with white markings on the projectile (pointed) end. M829 series ammunition is loaded and fired in the normal manner. This ammunition will not be fired over the heads of friendly troops unless troops are protected by adequate cover as they may be struck by the discarded sabot.
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ons/m829a1.htm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coWJDfcdR60
    A retired Army buddy of mine was a Gunner Sargent largely spent time with the M109's. They got into a little bit of trouble for picking up some of those big DU penetrators that hadn't hit anything. Would have been a neat thing to have minus the negatives of it being a radioactive material. The few they tossed in the back of a Humvee got tossed or confiscated. He did mention what those suckers did to what they hit. Usually expended against other heavy armor. They projectile would enter the hardened target and exit the other side and the crew of said vehicle would essentially be liqified by the pressure of a hypersonic projectile entering the vehicle. The crew would be sucked out the exit point behind the projectile. I think I recall the entrance/exit being like a 4" hole. That would be a bad way to go but you wouldn't even know it happened. They inspected vehicles hit by those rounds and there were no occupants found inside after the fact.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12