RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HV .303 Brit success.

HV .303 Brit success.

Team.

I have been trying to develope a 'mil spec' cast load for my No4 MkII to use in service rifle shoots. Velocity and bullet weight need be with +/- 6% of Mk VII ball; 2440fps and 174gr.

Today I shot the rifle with the following load:

CBE 316 175 GC, oven heat treated WW + 2% babbit, BHN 23.
    Sizing: .312 on front driving band, rest .314
    47gr AR2209 (H4350)
    WLR primer in RP cases
    OAL 75mm
    Velocity 2390fps

This is at 50m only but shows potential and the load is well within spec. Note the shot to the left was operator related. Ahem.

Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I have been using IMR4350:34grs with compressed COW fill with the Lee180 boolits. This loads gives 1996fps with good accuracy in my Faz. I wonder what difference I would find with H4350? The only reason I would change would be to get a powder that meters well enough to eliminate individual weighing from the uniflow. Otherwise the IMR works great.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Bigger the granule stick, the less important it is to get exact weight. Your Uniflow is plenty good enough, even when chopping individual granules. Just make the throw as consistent as possible by minor banging the arm when filling and when dumping. The reason is because the powder granules are NOT dense, and therefore do no carry the same amount of energy as a granule of ball powder, or really small stick. Besides, almost all stick powders are single base, making the importance of weighing exactly even less important. In other words, look at powder weighing at the bottom of the accuracy list when using IMR or V-V types. Boolit weighing is at the top of the list, however, because weight is a percentage of how many voids remain. Problem is not how much the boolit weighs, but where the air holes are, so hopefully we are measuring where the holes are by using the probability that the holes are at the circumference of the boolit. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master

Nice shooting!

I have been looking for an upper end load using 200+ gr. cast boolits but am still searching. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to cast or shoot for quite a while so progress is slow.

So far the best I have done is with a load of IMR 4198 and a lapped and Beagled 314299 giving about 1 1/2" at 50 yards with issue sights. But I wanted something that would give 1800 to 2000 FPS FPS. I haven't chrono'd these but am pretty sure they aren't 1800 FPS.

I have tried IMR 4320 and IMR 4064 with and without COW filler. The loads with filler didn't do too bad but certainly not as good as yours. Maybe I should pick me up some H4350.

Those CBE moulds are sure nice so maybe I should try one of those too. You seem to get very good results with the CBE moulds.

Longbow

I think in the very near future you guys will find that IMR stick powders will be replaced by Hodgdon stick powder ex ADI so either way you will be changing. IMR4227 is already gone are on the way.

Yes, I get great results from the CBE .303 moulds. I think it is primarily because Jim has really done his homework on what the LE rifles like. Much in the same way that US craftsman know how to work a 1911 Colt or a Garand. LE's are very common down here so that's what we focus on. Likewise he offers something like 6 bullet designs for the .310 Cadet cartridge. This is unheard of for such an obscure round but there are lots of those rifles in AU so he has a demand.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    I think in the very near future you guys will find that IMR stick powders will be replaced by Hodgdon stick powder ex ADI so either way you will be changing. IMR4227 is already gone are on the way.

Yes, I get great results from the CBE .303 moulds. I think it is primarily because Jim has really done his homework on what the LE rifles like. Much in the same way that US craftsman know how to work a 1911 Colt or a Garand. LE's are very common down here so that's what we focus on. Likewise he offers something like 6 bullet designs for the .310 Cadet cartridge. This is unheard of for such an obscure round but there are lots of those rifles in AU so he has a demand.
    I tend to agree with Jeff on CBE molds. I have an expanding collection of them for various calibres. For the SMLE's, I would only buy Jim's molds depending on the weight and diameter required for one of my rifles.

Same applies for my M/H Cadet rifles. Jim also offers a .380" diam mold suitable for the 38/55. I slugged the bore on my Pedersoli at .379" and the .380" is working quite well in it.

John.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

My hunting load for the 303 is a Mountan Moulds 220 grain rnfp bullet and I am using IMR 4895 and pushig it to 2000+ fps. Groups with iron sights are 3 1/2" ay 100 yards and that is good enough for the girls I go with. I have never tried to get more velocity but you have me going, I may have to see if I can hit 2400 with good accuracy.

Super Moderator

.................Great shooting Jeff! Those leakers are what God thows in every now and then to keep us humble

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

I NEED another 303 mould and I like the looks of that CBE does he have a web site and can/would he ship to the usa?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I NEED another 303 mould and I like the looks of that CBE does he have a web site and can/would he ship to the usa?
    YES & YES http://www.castbulletengineering.big...om/default.htm

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Be sure to ask Jim about the new designs he is working on.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

For an easy way to reach 2000+ fps check out AA 8700. Cheap, low pressure, and consistent accuracy. It does leave a little unburned in the bore but it meters very well and won't strain the gun.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post

Jeff in N.Z,
    Sorry to cut in on you. But I need a lot of help in Aust, can you give me some loads for 303 with ar2208 orAR 2209 for militry shooting with G.C. leadloads.
    thanking you

Knappy: I only use AR2209 for my cast HV loads. 41gr under a 220gr bullet bullet for a Mk VI duplicate 2000fps load. 47gr under a 177gr for Mk VII duplicate 2400fps. Both bullets are wheel weight oven heat treated. I am generally shooting .316 bullets these days.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Very good shooting Jeff, always interested in high velocity cast boolit shooting. I noticed that you didn't mention lube would you care to tell us which lube you are using?

For our US cousins:

AR2208 = Varget.
    AR2209 = H4350.

I use my own lube. Too much emphasis is put on lube in my opinion. Good bullet fit and correct powder is as important.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Jeff, you mention .312 on front band and .314 thr rest of boolit....
    Is that how they drop from mold or do you size them that way? how?
    I suppose Jim can make a similar mold in about .316 for my oversize 2 groove Savage?
    Nice shootin and I agree with Buckshot....besides if ya shot a purrfect group you might as well quit cuz ya couldnt do any better. Guys told me I should quit shootin Trap after my first 25...probably should have listened...lots of lead downrange since

Very interesting thread.
    Need something to feed my Westley Richards
    Last edited by mrwhite; 09-05-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
    Jeff, you mention .312 on front band and .314 thr rest of boolit....
    Is that how they drop from mold or do you size them that way? how?
    I suppose Jim can make a similar mold in about .316 for my oversize 2 groove Savage?
    Nice shootin and I agree with Buckshot....besides if ya shot a purrfect group you might as well quit cuz ya couldnt do any better. Guys told me I should quit shootin Trap after my first 25...probably should have listened...lots of lead downrange since
    The mould drops at .316-.3165 in WW. To seat to a minimum OAL for service rifle I have to size the front band to .312 to fit the leade. Nose first sizing works. Long winded but seems to work.

If you want a crash hot fat 2 groove barrel bullet I recommend his 316 240. This is 3 shots from a 2 groover at 50m.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Jeff that boolit looks as if its worth a try....don't know if I can match that group though.
    Do ya size that one or shootem as theyre dropped?
    Thanks for the info...been wanting to try a CBE mold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast