RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Concerns with Titegroup

Boolit Master

Nifty thread, learned alot!!
    I use TG alot for awhile it was all you could get up here. I use it in most of my milsurps, soon it will be all of them. I use it in 38 and 38S&W too. I shoot a bit of pistol just for fun. For reduced loads in rifle it is a bit sooty, but once i uped the charge i had no issues. I tested in 30-30 the other day with great results. It suprised me in 6.5×55 with the NOE 54 gr, a realy nice round like a 22mag on steriods. Use it alot in 303 with all my boolit weights some loads are quite good.
    TG is good powder, be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

TG was the first powder I ever reloaded with, and all I used for quite awhile. I finally got tired of the dirty cases and clouds of smoke so switched to 231 for my handgun plinking loads. I still have a good supply of TG tucked away though, it's a good versatile powder.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Anyone care to recommend a starting load for TG in 223 with a Bator? Just looking for a 22lr equivalent in the Handi.

Boolit Man
    2.8-3gr for 55gr projectile. 2.8 if you are wanting subsonic.
    "America: The only country that matters. If you want to experience other "cultures", use an atlas or ham radio" - Ron Swanson

Boolit Master
    Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master

Old thread but can someone explain the "concern about high nitro content" angle to this?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

This is on me not on Titegroup. I loaded up some 44's a while back and did not check my bullet weight. New mold, that was suppose to drop at 240. As mentioned this is on me. I loaded 9.2 grns. of TG and took them to the range. I shot one cylinder of the rounds through my Super Redhawk. Luckily this was a Ruger and not some cheaply made 44. I ended up having to drive the cases out of the cylinder with a piece of cleaning rod. Took the rest of the rounds home and pulled them (luckily I only loaded 10). I found that the bullets had dropped at 260 grns. not 240 grns. I check the data and found I could have gotten away with 2/10ths of a grn. less powder and been fine.

The moral is it doesn't take a lot of Titegroup to over charge a cartridge.

BTW, I have been reloading for over 40 years and this is the only time I ever over charged a round.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Old thread but can someone explain the "concern about high nitro content" angle to this?
    The concern is that there is a high pressure spike because of the explosiveness commensurate with high nitro content powders. The faster burn rate requires much less powder and the potential for a double charge is more prevalent because the small powder charges necessary could be easily hidden in longer cartridges. It is all a non issue if loading is conducted in accordance to published thresholds by reliable sources. Using more powder than recommended can exponentially increase chamber pressures. Titegroup is excellent for its intended purpose and detrimental to firearm longevity if used incorrectly. Its nothing to be feared if your IQ is above room temperature and you adhere to some sort of quality control standards.
    "America: The only country that matters. If you want to experience other "cultures", use an atlas or ham radio" - Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    There is concern about high nitro content double based powde burning hotter than single based powder. For most casual shooters, it won't matter but for rapid shooting contesters, it does heat up the barrel faster.

There is the misconception that a high nitro content powder burning hotter "melts the bases of lead bullets". There is no way that can happen, there is simply not enough time (about 1/2 of a millisecond) for the flame to heat up and melt the bullet base while it's in the barrel.

Titegroup does have a very high nitroglycerin content like Alliant Bullseye, but competitive shooters tend to love it and use a lot of it.

I have experienced the fact that Titegroup can heat up a barrel quickly.
    If you are going to do long strings of rapid fire, you will have a hotter barrel more quickly than with other powders such as Bullseye. Usually this is not an issue for normal practice sessions or target use.

Boolit Master
    Good Lord! Follow the load data in the manual. Inspect your charged cases. Live a long time and have fun.

Boolit Grand Master

"Titegroup does have a very high nitroglycerin content like Alliant Bullseye, but competitive shooters tend to love it and use a lot of it."

Ok, thanks for the answers and that was not something I was thinking about. The comment above is my reply to "high nitro content" being a problem.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I had been wanting to try Titegroup for a while and saw it at a recent gunshow for $20/lb. so I picked up a bottle. After looking through my loading manuals I think it will work well in most all of my handguns. I load on a single stage in batches so I'm not really worried about double charges.

Sounds like the "problems" with this powder might be that some folks need to slow down or maybe set up a good light on their benches.
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerdude View Post
    Sounds like the "problems" with this powder might be that some folks need to slow down or maybe set up a good light on their benches.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ There it is ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Perma-Banned

Titegroup does heat a barrel...but it is certainly a great powder for light loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerdude View Post
    The main point your missing is that because Titegroup is such a high density powder very very small quantities are used, this makes it impossible to visually detect a double charge in a tall case like 38 Spl. or 357Mag even with strong overhead lighting. It’s this inability to visually detect over charges adds a element of uncertainty even fear of this propellant. I have intentionally doubled TG just to see what a double charge looks like and I could not reliably detect the over charged case.

TG does burn very hot, consider it a super fuel in the heat engine that is a firearm.
    But the GOEX black powder I use also makes my revolver very very hot very fast in just a few shots.
    If you don’t mind a hot barrel you won’t mind TG.

As far as TG being position insensitive in big cases, my chrono testing showed me it is position sensitive.
    I was expecting much better performance in this area and it was a great disappointment considering that it’s a major point that Hodgdon expounds on for selling TG.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 08-16-2020 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Clarification, grammar & spelling

Boolit Master

You experienced extreme position sensitivity with tg? What cartridge?

I have loaded 357 mag with regular primers when I was out, and even downhill shots seemed the same to my hand??

Boolit Master
    I use titegroup in most of my pistol rounds 38spl,357 mag,44 spl and mag 9 mm,45 acp,meters well and fires clean

Boolit Master

Same here, titegroup is my most used pistol powder.

It meters well, it shoots accurately, and it burns clean. It is often cheaper than other powders and was often available when other powders were not during the shortage a couple of years ago.
    It does burn hotter than at least some other powders. I noticed that the very first time I used it. It really isn't that big of a problem unless you handle your barrel a lot.
    The brass does get a bit hotter, so you need to watch out for flying brass or handling ejected revolver brass if you have fired a few rounds rapidly.
    Definitely not a deal breaker since the powder works so well.
    The methods I use to load handgun rounds would cause an underfilled case or a dud instead of a double charge. I simply don't leave a case without a boolit seated in it after I have dropped powder into it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast