PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Lube questions

Boolit Master

Lube questions

Years ago, I used to cast from a Coleman stove, with a dipper and 2-holer RCBS mould. With my Lee push-through sizer, they included a pan, and "cake cutter" with gooey red lube that worked a treat! No leading ever! WHAT was that stuff?

in the years following, I made some green stuff from a recipe I found here, and some magical elixir from a fellow in Alaska, Lee Tumble lube diluted with Mineral Spirits, with mediocre results, used mostly when I re-lubed some commercially cast boolits that the lube had dried out, and the results of my last casting efforts. Not much success, there.

Always looking for an easier way, or something to supplement/replace something that may not work as advertised, I noticed some red lube in the grooves of Boolits re-lubed with Ben's Liquid Lube. Does re-lubing with Ben's do better than thinned Lee? Would a relubing with Ben's work better than the present tumble lube I have, made from Lee? Does the "old" lube contribute anything?

Thanx!

Boolit Master

I just mixed up my first batch of Ben's Liquid yesterday. It's pretty awesome stuff. Haven't shot it yet but will soon.

Also look into Hi-Tek.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    I have recently used Ben's on some unsized wad cutters and love it , I like it much better than lee alox . Easy to mix and use + good an dry after tumble lube in a day or two . I didn't have a leading problem to start with , and I still don't .

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Years ago, I used to cast from a Coleman stove, with a dipper and 2-holer RCBS mould. With my Lee push-through sizer, they included a pan, and "cake cutter" with gooey red lube that worked a treat! No leading ever! WHAT was that stuff?

in the years following, I made some green stuff from a recipe I found here, and some magical elixir from a fellow in Alaska, Lee Tumble lube diluted with Mineral Spirits, with mediocre results, used mostly when I re-lubed some commercially cast boolits that the lube had dried out, and the results of my last casting efforts. Not much success, there.

Always looking for an easier way, or something to supplement/replace something that may not work as advertised, I noticed some red lube in the grooves of Boolits re-lubed with Ben's Liquid Lube. Does re-lubing with Ben's do better than thinned Lee? Would a relubing with Ben's work better than the present tumble lube I have, made from Lee? Does the "old" lube contribute anything?

Thanx!
    The kit I got from some old reloading equipment had a stick of 50-50 alox beeswax lube in it. This kit also came with a pan and cake cutter, but had a sizer that you pounded over the boolets

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Can't say enough about White Label Lubes. I use the carnauba red for all my cast boolits.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Bens Liquid Lube formula works great as a stand alone tumble lube.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    Sniper, I tumbled lubed some old 45 cast that the lube used in them was dry and falling out.
    Tossed a handful in a baggy and a small amount of BLL, shake n shoot. Guess it's shake n load ?
    No issues shooting, no leading. Bullet fit is "King" remember.
    Not sure what your Red sticky was .

Some here like to use the BLL over the lube sizer lubes as to keep the stickyness down as it dries quick and less mess when handling them to load.

Hope you find a happy solution easy fer you to keep on shootin.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies, folks.
    I've been looking for some Johnson's Liquid floor wax, with no success. Actually, that's not quite true...if I read it right, Amazon has it listed for $122/22oz. can!?
    I called Johnson yesterday, and was told that It was discontinued in 2015. Story of my life! Oh, well... Then I ordered a big bottle of Lars' 45-45-10, which looks to be very close to what Ben's is/was, and is already mixed, which is a very good thing! Ben's and Recluse's threads were great reads, tho!
    And...if I ever get bored enough, In the True Spirit Of Never Leaving Well-Enough Alone...(That's what my wife says, but I'm sure I don't know what she is talking about!) there is a can of JPW I bought for lube-making some years ago...and...I do have some Mineral Spirits! Hmmmm...

Boolit Buddy
    There is a replacement floor wax available, I can't remember the name of it but it is in some of the last pages of the BLL thread. It is thicker than the Johnsons and needs to be thinned with mineral spirits. I have been getting great results with the BLL, using it as a stand alone lube or as a top coat over White Label CR or 2500. I have done 2600 fps out of my 06 with just BLL, but I am finding a slight (very slight) edge in accuracy at higher velocity using it as a top coat for reduced stickiness. YMMV. but if the fit is good I have never had leading with BLL.

Boolit Master

Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Bub
    I found some 405 gr RNFP bullets from S&S. No lube required. Any thoughts on that?
    Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Can't say enough about White Label Lubes. I use the carnauba red for all my cast boolits.
    +1. Except I use their BAC lube for all my cast boolits.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by johnhenry57 View Post
    I found some 405 gr RNFP bullets from S&S. No lube required. Any thoughts on that?
    John,
    welcome to the forum.

Thoughts? ...that'd depend on what yur gonna do with them 405s?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    No bears around here in central Texas so............steel? Pow...............................ding
    Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go.

Boolit Master

Sniper, if it was me thinning old thick alox, I'd use naptha.. that's what it was thinned with when you bought it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by johnhenry57 View Post
    No bears around here in central Texas so............steel? Pow...............................ding
    Oh? I thought you were asking about thoughts on "no lube required".
    405s will work great on Steel...they should tip them over nicely.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001