WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford 3600 tractor compare to a newer 30 hp MFWD tractor

Ford 3600 tractor compare to a newer 30 hp MFWD tractor

I have an opportunity to bid on a Ford 3600 diesel (48 gross hp) with loader mfg'd in 1979.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences how an older 45 to 50 hp diesel 2WD tractor with loader compares to a newer 30 hp diesel MFWD tractor. In terms of tractive effort; pulling implements and using front loader to fix erosion / washouts? The 2WD is nearly 2X's as heavy as 30 hp compact utility tractor.

I am familiar with MFWD compact utility tractors in the 16 to 30 hp range but no experience with slightly larger and heavier 2WD's in the 45 hp range.

I used a kubota L series 24hp 2wd for 10 years brush hogging, 3ft rotary tiller, disc, 5'blade & a single plow. Got along just fine & didn't what I was missing until I bought a L3430 4wd w/a loader. I live on a hill & the 4wd makes all the difference in the world. I'd say the type of terrain would dictate what would work better but I'd go for the 4wd. As a kid growing up we used a Jubilee, 8n, & a old JD A or B model don't remember which, just that it was a tricycle front end & as a 10 year old kid I hated trying to get it out of a furrow, I learned the brakes real quick. For my use, I'd give up a little horse power for 4wd but if the attachments I had need a certain hp to operate, more hp more better.

Boolit Master

the ford will be a little sluggish on the loader, they were not made for a loader and the hydraulics are a little weak for one. don't know what you plan to use it for but the ford on flat ground will do just fine using the traction lock and with a set of chains do all kinds of snow work, it will also be easier to service and repair. I have a lot of ford tractors and would not trade any of them for a Chinese tractor. my 3000 makes a great garden tractor and will handle a 2 bottom plow, its nimble and easy to operate, the 4000 is a lot more tractor and can do serious dirt work and still get in and out of tight spaces, the 5000's and on up are best in fields as they are not quite as nimble.

Perma-Banned

I would buy the 4WD tractor...if you ever own one...you will not go back to a 2WD.

I like the 3000, 4000, and 5000 series ...especially the independent PTO on the 4000 and 5000...but those tractors are at least 40yrs old...and if I am buying a tractor, it will be a newer tractor.

Boolit Buddy
    If your going to use the bucket a lot 4WD makes it easier to get around. I use 2WD most of the time unless I'm moving dirt.

Boolit Master

How much money are you looking to spend?

Boolit Master
    Diesel 3600?

In terms of "tractive effort", field work etc, plow, disc, brush hog... IE what a tractor was designed to do, the 3600 will work circles around any of the 30 HP compacts.

As a loader it will probably hold its own against a smaller toy tractor, assuming it is ballasted correctly, and heavy mud isn't involved.

It will still be running decades after the disposable toy tractors have been junked due to lack of parts for their electronics.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richbug View Post
    Diesel 3600?

In terms of "tractive effort", field work etc, plow, disc, brush hog... IE what a tractor was designed to do, the 3600 will work circles around any of the 30 HP compacts.

As a loader it will probably hold its own against a smaller toy tractor, assuming it is ballasted correctly, and heavy mud isn't involved.

It will still be running decades after the disposable toy tractors have been junked due to lack of parts for their electronics.
    I own a Massey 2wd in the same horsepower class as the 3000 series Ford and a New Holland 30hp compact 4wd. For general farm work ON FLAT or GENTLY rolling land the 2wd Massey has it all over the compact tractor, but in tight, steep or extremely muddy ground the little compact 4wd is better in MY opinion! Sometimes smaller and lighter is an advantage. As far as loader work, a 4wd IN THE SAME SIZE tractor is better, but keep in mind the heavier tractor will probably pick up more than the compact tractor weighs! I'd look at the lay of your property and what you want the tractor to do and go from there. Both tractors are good for the purpose they were designed for!

Moderator Emeritus

I remember doing all the farm work with this! Crank started the dang thing a time or two also! Grandpa's may have been an older model

Thanks for all of your input, I currently have a smaller Yanmar MFWD works great with a post hole digger and in tight spots but not enough hp to run a 48" adequately.

I scrapped the dirt and grease off of the Ford to expose the serial number and model number. I am fairly certain it is a Ford 340 (industrial version of the 4600) Model number is CU314K mfg in late 1979 and not a 3600. This is about 60 gross hp tractor. It is at my work and is selling as a sealed bid auction which ends next Friday.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the older Kubota L3800's with the front end loader and bush hog. 4wd is activated by pulling a T handle right at my feet, otherwise just normal 2wd. On the few occasions I have had to use the 4wd ( got stuck in the mud) when in 4wd just backed out of where I was stuck. Used it for scooping up tree limbs, moving piles of dirt and spreading and leveling dirt. So far knock on wood never had a problem. The previous John Deere was a money sewer as everytime something went wrong it cost me some big bucks. Kubota is heads and shoulders above John Deere. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richbug View Post
    Diesel 3600?

I have a 81 MF 245 (3 cyl Perkins diesel) and a 2013 Kubota L3800. The big heavy 2wd is laughably inadequate compared to the smaller, lighter 4wd Kubota. Even for the tasks where old heavy low tech iron is supposed to excel the Kubota gets more done with less HP. Even plowing. The Kubota will keep turning a furrow when the Massey spins out and forces me to lift--and that's with the same plow.

I'm putting the Massey on the market in the spring and keeping my "disposable toy." I'll make you a deal if you want it. $4500 and it's yours.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I have a 81 MF 245 (3 cyl Perkins diesel) and a 2013 Kubota L3800. The big heavy 2wd is laughably inadequate compared to the smaller, lighter 4wd Kubota. Even for the tasks where old heavy low tech iron is supposed to excel the Kubota gets more done with less HP. Even plowing. The Kubota will keep turning a furrow when the Massey spins out and forces me to lift--and that's with the same plow.

I'm putting the Massey on the market in the spring and keeping my "disposable toy." I'll make you a deal if you want it. $4500 and it's yours.

If the MF doesn't out plow the Kub, you need to look at a few things. Learn what draft control is, and how to use it. Soil condition, if it is wet enough to need front wheel assist, the ground it too wet, and you are doing more harm than good to your soil(compaction). Plow set up and tractor wheel spacing.

MF more than any other manufacturer, except maybe David Brown, has draft control worked out, they were one of the pioneers, and have more experience.

I'm not an expert but do still moldboard plow a few 100 acres a year. I do own a small 4x4(75 PTO hp), but it only gets used for loader chores and doing foolish things. "Field work" is all done by small 2 wheel drives.

Banned

I have always lived in hilly/mountain areas and the 4wd is so much better than 2wd. Getting the Ford 4500 out when it was stuck was below average. Right now I have a 32 hp John Deere aka Yanmar and it is OK for me. 15 acres pasture and 40 acres wooded. Thinking about moving up to 50 hp with a brush/log clamp for the front loader, as the trees/logs are a bit much for the small tractor. But traction wise, that little guy is impressive especially with the locker.

In Remembrance
    If that is the industrial ford with a loader, you will like it for loader work. if the tires are filled it will work more dirt thanthe smaller 4x4 ever thought of.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I remember doing all the farm work with this! Crank started the dang thing a time or two also! Grandpa's may have been an older model

We had an old U moline propane rig when I was a kid. Twelve hour days piloting that thing would make a man out of you. lol

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    If that is the industrial ford with a loader, you will like it for loader work. if the tires are filled it will work more dirt thanthe smaller 4x4 ever thought of.
    Thanks Starmac ---- It has wheel weights on inside of wheels and I am fairly certain the rear wheels are filled with dense foam as all of the tires around the plant on non-hwy vehicles are foam filled. As far as I know I am the only one that has looked at it since it was listed on our company intranet site. No foot prints in snow and mud except mine, the listing has a vague description and title and a few pictures. You never know who else is interested. After researching and looking around some I am planning to bid a little higher than I originally thought.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheel WTs.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	187882

Banned

The industrial Fords were yellow, like the 4500
    The front end is heavier

Yellow is under the blue paint.

Banned

Then it was an industrial Ford.