RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Encore and Black Powder

Encore and Black Powder

Anyone shot BP through any of the centerfire chambered barrels in the Encore? I have a custom .45-70 barrel coming in soon and will be loading for smokeless for a bit to get used to the recoil with really heavy boolits. Anyone have experiences with BP in this action, including accuracy results, fouling in the action/frame etc...

shoe

Boolit Master

I have a shooting buddy who played around a bit with both BP and one of the subs, Pyrodex I think, and he had no problems at all. He had been coming to my place and had shot my HighWall 45-90 BP loads so he decided to try it in his 45/70 Encore, both the real BP and the sub loads he brought with him functioned just fine (although I fail to see the point in using the subs but that's another subject) and the action design makes cleaning a breeze. He had annealed his cases as I had suggested to him so they sealed perfectly and thus there was no leakage into the action. I shot this thing with the BP loads and loved it, loads of fun and if I had one of my own I wouldn't hesitate to load BP for it!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

My Encore came to me with the 50cal blackpowder barrel named the "209-50 Magnum". Now i shoot it accasionally and that 209 primer will leak more BP residue then any cartridge chambered barrel.

After shooting mine for a few years i tore it down completely to discover what fouling i had built up ... Long story short ... Only a small bit of vrry oily black substance that very simply and completely wiped rite off anywhere it was found.

No worries my friend.

In Remembrance

I do occasionally load FFg black powder in my Encore .500 S&W. This gives me an modern equivalent of the old .50-70 Government round. Fun to shoot and low recoil. I do wipe the bore every 3 or 4 shots to keep the fouling under control otherwise accuracy goes south pretty quickly. I would heve no problem loading black powder in the .45-70 Encore either.

Boolit Master
    I have a friend who hunts with it in his, and my 2 TC omegas, use the same breechplug, barrels, just solid, both will shoot a ragged hole at !00yds for 3 shot groups. I use Harvester brand blk crush rib sabots, and their 260 & 300 gr plastic tip .451 slugs. With BH 209, I am shooting under 3" groups, at 300yds!! Pm me for more info if interested.

Really good stuff here everyone, I got the barrel put up and sighted in at 100yds on Saturday. I tried some Trail Boss, H4198, 5744 and RL7 loads through it. Not a whole lot of fouling in the action as you guys predicted and now I'm pretty excited to to put some Goex or Swiss Powder through it soon. The closest I have to BP is BH209 and Pyrodex but I may just try the former in case I am worried about corrosion. I know that most subs can leave some nasty fouling. To all of you referencing the Muzzleloader Barrels, I agree, without an o-ring sealing the primer there is a lot of blowback that needs to be solved from the breech plug. I also have a 209x50 that is notorious for this.

shoe