RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Lead Rmoval Tip

Lewis Lead Rmoval Tip

Instead of ordering a package of the Lewis Lead Remover brass patches from Brownells at $3.99 per 10, you can order some brass pipe screens from a smoking supply shop for $7.84 per 100 with free shipping. (1" diameter)

They can be ordered in multiple sizes and the only difference is the hole in the middle.

How hard can it be to make a hole ? .......

Hope this helps some of you cast boolit shooters.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    pietro, thanks for the tip! I turned my 1906 94 Winchester into a smooth bore with 5 shots of the first boolits I cast for it and need to remove it when I can move my shoulder again now that the shoulder rebuild is done.

Great idea! Also, try a soaking wet Kroil patch. It creeps under the lead. I use it in my bpcr.

Boolit Grand Master

I have never bought any but I have confiscated and destroyed about 500 of those. The dopers love them.

Good idea but the mesh size of the Lewis screen looks significantly more coarse.

Wonder if that makes a difference, in practice?

I haven't used up all my Lewis screens but probably will get to that point some day...
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master

Scouring the I.D. of a barrel with a brass screen always intimidated me. Since the device and replacement "abrasive" screens are available from Brownell's, perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about? What really happens to barrels' I.D.s when Lewis Lead Remover is used?

Is the Lewis Lead Remover still made? If it is, has anyone a link?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Moderator Emeritus

Naphtali, brass screens are MUCH softer than your barrel. I've used a Lewis Lead Remover a lot. Used to be issued 1,000 rds. of the dirtiest, grungiest, leadingest wadcutters you'll ever see! I hated to shoot them, but the LLR got ALL the lead out of my barrels, and it did it quickly and easily to boot. Some matches purchased those same grungy loads to shoot, and if you could, it was advisable to clean your barrel between strings. If not, you just held closer and let the leading sway the bullets whereever they would, and hoped for the best. But at least that LLR was there when you got through shooting. It was a revelation to me when I got mine. You'll never regret getting one if you shoot lead. Good loads shouldn't lead, but if you like to experiment, sooner or later you'll encounter something that will lead your barrel. It'll work on rifles, too, if you have the right size rubber thingy for your bore size. It'll sure save you a lot of time and heartache if you ever get a badly leaded barrel. And don't forget to use the forcing cone cleaner also! Lead there is a bad thing too, and the LLR has both. VERY worth the money for one, IMO.

Banned
    I love the Lewis Lead remover and use it when needed. I have the 38/9 mm caliber and the 44/45 caliber sets.

I also bought the 30 caliber set when Brownells offered them but there was a problem. The front part of the brass jig that screws into your cleaning rod was too large in diameter to fit in a 30 cal bore. I had to turn it down to get it to fit.

If the 30 cal Lead Remover is still offered at Brownells you may still see the snide review that I posted.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Buddy
    If you can get screens of similar wire gauge size (for strength) and mesh (scrapping and additional strengthening) they should work fine. I do not know what specs. pipe screens have. The center hole can be punched with a leather punch.

Boolit Buddy

Source for LLR

Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    Scouring the I.D. of a barrel with a brass screen always intimidated me. Since the device and replacement "abrasive" screens are available from Brownell's, perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about? What really happens to barrels' I.D.s when Lewis Lead Remover is used?

Is the Lewis Lead Remover still made? If it is, has anyone a link?
    Cliffs' Guns and Safes in Boise ID stocks them and replacements.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

The Lewis lead removers are the bees knees
    Wonderful tools
    Thank you for the tip
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    Cliffs' Guns and Safes in Boise ID stocks them and replacements.
    I go there at least once a month......
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the tip

Boolit Buddy

This seems like a valid concept, if you roughly match the screen size, overall diameter and don't get an overly hard/stiff brass type i can't see any problems.

Perma-Banned

Copper Chore Boy works just as well...get it at the dollar store for $2 a pk.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've always wanted to try this.
    How do you use it in rifles barrels?????

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Copper Chore Boy works just as well...get it at the dollar store for $2 a pk.
    This works well for me. I wrap a few strands around a bronze bore brush with a few drops of Hoppes #9.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Another one for Copper Chore Boy. Works like gang busters with a few strands wrapped around a bronze brush. Nearly a life time supply for lilttle, depending. Just be sure it is pure copper though instead of copper plated steel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast