Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets build a flintlock

Lets build a flintlock

So I have been pondering about buying a flintlock for some time now. My pops finished up a nice one about a year ago and after shooting it I had to have one. I don't want a Traditions kit but instead want to build a more period gun. I want some brass furniture on it, swamped octagonal barrel with plum browning, traditional sights, a nice figured stock and a decorative brass patch box. Maybe some carving on the stock but I have not decided. I plan on buying parts and pieces as the slush fund allows new or used. If anyone has any ideas, thoughts and of course pictures!....I am all ears. I am thinking .54 cal or .50 in 1:48 twist....in a Douglas barrel. I plan on looking on Track of the Wolf for starters. I put a link below for the gun my pops built. I am after something similar. If I didn't own an Apple computer I'd be able to have the pic posted instead of a link.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...1&d=1447557440

Boolit Master

I've always admired the skill of someone who could build a nice looking firearm.
    I never had the patients or skill to create such a gun, my skill level is about the same as a six year old's with two boards and a hand full of nails.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dixon's ML builders fest comes around in July. They are just outside Reading, Pa. They have a web site you might want to check out.

Boolit Master
    Try Pecatonica River long rifle supply co. As they have some really pretty kits/parts

Word of advice precarved stocks are fine but don't get a pre inlet stock ! 8 outa 10 times the inlets aren't we're they actually need to be and everything needs to be in the proper place for everything to come together as it was designed ,Do lots of reading and videos and looking at pics of original rifles . Go slow be patient and ask questions . Pecatonica river is good so is muzzloader Builder's supply . It's not hard but it does take time and and understanding of how all the parts fit and work together .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy

Pick up a copy of Muzzleloader magazine and look at the different ads by suppliers and gun builders. There's a wealth of information to glean there.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Thanks....I'll check these sources out. I am aiming towards a "Golden Age" era long rifle with at lest a 42" swamped barrel, Issac Haines (Lancaster PA) repro brass furniture by John Bivins.
    Last edited by duckey; 03-18-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas no longer makes black powder barrels. If you want a swamped barrel you're probably going to have to go with a Rice or
    Colerian.

I've done 2 kits from Track with no problems. Third is waiting on a backordered barrel and this one I did not have the lock area pre-inlet for something different and new learning. I also have another barrel on order waiting for me to decide what wood to order. None are swamped barrels though (saving that for project #5). I really did not have a problem with pre-inlet lock areas, but can see where there easily be some. With a straight barrel inlet, you have wiggle room to move the barrel. With a swamped barrel, you are pretty locked into barrel position, so I don't plan on having the lock area pre inlet for that project when I get to it. Lets me locate the lock where needed
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Security Police `80 -`00

I have a Colerain "C" barrel picked out. Colerain also offers a straight octagonal barrel which is the same as what I have chosen minus the tapering (I am assuming the tapering is what categorizes it as swamped). Now the barrel I picked out is labeled as a "swamped Barrel.....the same straight Colerain barrel is not labeled as a swamped barrel. Now when a barrel (whether straight or swamped) is set in a full-length stock...no one well see the tapering...or will they? The straight octagonal barrel is about $45 cheaper than the swamped. Is it worth going with a swamped? These barrels are on Track of the Wolf.

509thsfs

Do you have any pics of your guns you could post?

Boolit Master
    Swamped barrel strats out fat at breech then thins down in the middle and muzzle is fat. Helps reduce weight

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by duckey View Post
    I have a Colerain "C" barrel picked out. Colerain also offers a straight octagonal barrel which is the same as what I have chosen minus the tapering (I am assuming the tapering is what categorizes it as swamped). Now the barrel I picked out is labeled as a "swamped Barrel.....the same straight Colerain barrel is not labeled as a swamped barrel. Now when a barrel (whether straight or swamped) is set in a full-length stock...no one well see the tapering...or will they? The straight octagonal barrel is about $45 cheaper than the swamped. Is it worth going with a swamped? These barrels are on Track of the Wolf.
    Swamped barrels hold and handle much better than a straight barrel.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Look up "duelist1954" on YouTube. He has several playlists of flintlock rifle builds he's done. One was from Track of The Wolf and he's got a another series going right now in which he's building a swivel barrel flintlock.

I confess part of me wants to do exactly what you're doing but I just don't have the time to invest in it so a Traditions kit from Midway is probably going to be my route. I also like Hawken style ML best.

If you get a swamped barrel you need to get a stock that the channel is cut for that profile or yes you will see that gap in the middle part where the barrel thins down it would look rather bad .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Quote Originally Posted by duckey View Post
    509thsfs

Do you have any pics of your guns you could post?

.45 cal Bedford TOW kit

.50 cal Bedford TOW kit with better grade wood

These are my first two attempts at building. I need to improve my transition to the nose cap (among other things). Will do so on future builds. I have 2 more future build in the pipe, just collecting the parts and waiting on barrels. The rifles are tilted in the pics, so some proportions are distorted a bit
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Security Police `80 -`00

Boolit Buddy
    Gee... really nice builds.... but you could of ironed the sheets...

Great looking guns. Did you use nickel silver furniture?

No, it's brass. Lighting just makes it look that way. I have one build planned (waiting on barrel and some parts) that will be all German Silver except for the butt plate
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Security Police `80 -`00

Taco650....been waching duelist1954 on the YouTube and am about half way through the 19 videos. So far it all looks straight forward and just time taking ones time is crucial. I may switch gears and do the same kit as I like the Bucks County style stock. Not sure about all the engraving. Anyhow,, thanks for the heads up on the videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast