MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington M722 Extractor

Boolit Master

Remington M722 Extractor

Got a Model 722 Remington in .257 Roberts and the extractor's gone south on me.

These seem to be impossible to find beacuse of the age.

I've heard that a Model 700 extractor will work. Anyone have any experience with this?/beagle

Extractor

An old model 700 extractor will work. The original 700s used same extractor as 721-722-725. They were held in place with a rivit. Sometime in the 80s Remington started using a new one that was not rivited in place, it just slides in and its own spring pressure holds it in place. Maybe Numrich has some of the old ones, or a gunsmith that has been in business a long time.

Beagle--If you dont find a source and fix for your extractor problem,let me know. I'd bet heavily my gunsmith/friend can take care of it,even if it means building a new extractor.

Boolit Master

Re: Extractor

Scrounger. So I'm looking for the old (rivet type) of Model 700 extractor?

The old worn one on the M722 just snaps into place with no rivet. I've tried one of the new M700 "snap ins" with no luck. Looks like it wants to fit but not quite right./beagle

I picked up the new type from Brownell's. Maybe they have the old type as well.

Thanks./beagle

Re: Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by beagle
    Scrounger. So I'm looking for the old (rivet type) of Model 700 extractor?

The old worn one on the M722 just snaps into place with no rivet. I've tried one of the new M700 "snap ins" with no luck. Looks like it wants to fit but not quite right./beagle

I picked up the new type from Brownell's. Maybe they have the old type as well.

Thanks./beagle
    Heck, I'm no expert, just trying to quote someone who did know about those. Also remember talking to a Remington Factory repair technician. He said that you usually had "to play with the extractors a little to get them to work right". I sent the bolt in and let him "play with it".

Beagle,
    I own several 721s, which have the same extractor. I have looked into this, and the gunsmiths I talked to (one was at Remington) were not encouraging. As you know, the 721/722 part is not riveted. I was told that it can't be converted to the riveted unit as metal is missing in places it is needed. I haven't personally tried the newer unriveted 700 extractor, but I have heard from several sources that it can't be made to work for the same reason as above. Now "can't" takes in a lot of territory. If those parts were a little cheaper, I might try them anyway, but so far I haven't. There are persistent rumors that new ones are being made, but every time I look at the Gun Parts website, they don't have them. Some years back I found a couple at a small parts dealer in Maine and bought them. The one I installed had been pretty rusty, and it works, but just barely. The other one is under armed guard in my safe.

As many of those excellent rifles as there are around, you would think somebody would produce the part. The Sako extractor installation is always an option, but I would prefer to avoid it. I don't think it's an improvement, and it definitely isn't reversible.

Boolit Master

Well, if you find an extra anywhere or a source for remanufactured ones, post for me.

I've tried a M700 rivetless and that didn't work at all. Looks like it might but I had no luck and ended up shimming the old one a bit and it works so-so.

I even considered the Sako route but that's a pretty expensive proposition.

When you look at that extractor, it's a fairly complex little devil. The extractor lip has to be hardened and the remainder has to be tempered so it will spring to a certain degree. Not a good design on Remington's part.

Oh well, guess I'll keep looking and if you see a soulution, let me know.

I do have a spare M788 .30/30 extractor ratholed if you know anyone that's hurting for one./beagle

Boolit Bub

same boat

i have a 722 in 222 rem that needs an extractor.i am very interested in a solution that anyone comes up with.
    wheeze

Beagle, it occurs to me that if the problem is just the depth of the groove (as far as the 700 rivetless extractor fitting) it might be possible simply to build up the bottom of the groove where necessary with J-B Weld or something similar. Do you have a theory why the new extractor didn't work? My only 700 has the riveted extractor, so I've never looked at one of the others.

Wheezengeezer---You have a 722 in .22 that needs an extractor and are interested in a solution. On a Roadrunner cartoon seems I saw an extractor solution--you just add water. I think it was made by,ofcourse,Acme. Maybe run a search of Acme. If you find one let us know.

Boolit Master

The new extractor didn't work for me. Both are not working as it seems to seat too far back in the groove in the bolt head. This allows the rim to slip over.

That's a nasty part to build. The extractor itself must be hard and the remainder which is thin must have spring so that it can be installed and removed and still expand to fit the groove.

I tried shimming the back with some "beagle" tape and it worked for maybe 100 rounds.

Think I'll order another M700 rivetless extractor and have a friend build up the back a bit with some TIG welding and then work it down. That may be the solution.

Your idea of the epoxy has merit but again, I'm looking for a permanent solution. If this works, it should work for a .222 as well. I had one of them once and had probelms also. A good cleaning fixed that one but in this case, I'm not having any luck./beagle

Beagle, when you say the new 700 extractor seated too far back in the groove, did you mean too big in diameter or too far from the front of the bolt?

Boolit Bub
    the extractor on dads gun was damaged by a misread powder scale.the bolt had to be pounded open.the base of the case had to be pried out of the bolt.dad cant see very good, but i hate to tell the guy that taught me 45 years ago to quit reloading.might be best if i did.would like to buy a complete bolt for a 222 rem if i could.
    wheeze

The more I think about this, the more I think I will order one of the 700 extractors and fool with it. I just checked, and Gun Parts has them for $13. It might be instructive to examine one next to an unused 721 extractor.

Boolit Bub
    I know i'm a little late on this post,but I had to research it.I have 2 722's and 2 721's.Fortunetly,I addressed this issue when extractors were available and bought a few spares.I knew I had read somewhere about this problem.It was in Brownells Gunsmith Kinks.It says"Rem.721/722 extractors are no longer available.but the new 7400/7600 series pump and autoloading rifles use a similar type extractor.By thinning out the7400/7600 extractor to fit the recess in the bolt head and adjusting its tension,you can usually put these rifles back into service".I hope this is of some help to those who have this problem.
    Last edited by RayO; 04-19-2005 at 07:15 AM.

Ray, that is great information, but I don't understand it all. Are you sure that is the exact quote? Which volume of Gunsmith Kinks is it from?

Boolit Bub
    I made an error in copying the infomation.It has been corrected.It came out of Gunsmith Kinks #4,page 342.I apologize for the error.

OK, Ray, thanks very much. I plan to order some of these while they're still available. Now if I can just find a bottle of extracter thinner. Do you suppose Brownell's sells THAT?

Quote Originally Posted by wheezengeezer
    the extractor on dads gun was damaged by a misread powder scale.the bolt had to be pounded open.the base of the case had to be pried out of the bolt.dad cant see very good, but i hate to tell the guy that taught me 45 years ago to quit reloading.might be best if i did.would like to buy a complete bolt for a 222 rem if i could.
    How about a digital scale and magnifying visor?

Boolit Master

It allows the extractor lip to go too far back in the groove....makes the diameter too big./beagle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast