Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: .357 Elmer Kieth Boolit Mould

Boolit Buddy

.357 Elmer Kieth Boolit Mould

Looking to use my GP100 6" for hunting Whitetail this season.

Leaning towards picking up a Lyman 358429 mould for the Elmer Kieth style 173 gr boolit (yes, I know the load was in a 38 Special case). However, I wasn't sure if there are other manufactures that make that style boolit mould in a lighter weight material such as aluminum.

I was planning on using H110 to push it to 1300 fps and my alloy would be 50/50 (COWW/Pure).

Any help or suggestions ( other options) is greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I like that boolit and use it in my 357 Maximum carbine for a "light" load for targets at about 1250 fps. Unique is the powder I use. It shoots well and gets 8" of penetration in soaked, compressed phone books at 40 yards. We don't have feral pigs up here but I would bet it would be good load at that velocity given that penetration not to mention for deer.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I like that boolit and use it in my 357 Maximum carbine for a "light" load for targets at about 1250 fps. Unique is the powder I use. It shoots well and gets 8" of penetration in soaked, compressed phone books at 40 yards. We don't have feral pigs up here but I would bet it would be good load at that velocity given that penetration not to mention for deer.
    At 1250fps, it will totally penetrate a deer at more than 50yds...I used to use it over 2400 in my revolvers...matter of fact, I still have about a 40 or 50 of them that I have not gotten around to shooting. It is a good bullet, the only reason that I quit using it and sold my molds was that I like the performance of WFN's better, for hunting.

Boolit Grand Master

NOE makes a nice Keith SWC style in 150 gr. , 158 gr., 168 gr., 172 gr. , 200 gr. , and 225 gr., and can be had in aluminum or brass, with and without hollow points. The 172 gr. is listed as ' Keith' and may be a signature series.
    Nice moulds. Check out site.

Boolit Buddy
    Between Arsenal and NOE, Would you choose one over the other ?

Are there any other boolit designs I should consider for hunting ?

I greatly appreciate the feedback.

I'm A Honcho!
    I personally have several from each of those mold makers and they both cast great!!
    I prefer the arsenal 358429 clone for one reason the nose to crimp is about 20 thou shorter and it will fit my smith n frame and he had it in stock.
    I also make sure my brass is trimmed to minimum spec.
    Now granted it just fits but it still shoots great!!

ymmv
    wasalmonslayer
    Last edited by Wasalmonslayer; 02-07-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Banned

I have one from Mihec and one from NOE. I would go with Accurate if you don't want/need a hollow-point

Boolit Grand Master

If you need it in a specific size Accurate has the advantage because he will cut it to whatever you need. If a standard size is adequate any of the above.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    Between Arsenal and NOE, Would you choose one over the other ?

Are there any other boolit designs I should consider for hunting ?

I greatly appreciate the feedback.

NOE gets, and is worthy of, a lot of high praise here. If you're looking at a mold with the hollowpoint/solid combination option, I'd personally suggest the heavier brass molds, as they do a much better job of holding onto heat and keeping it in the nose pins.

Many here would suggest avoiding Lyman for the reason that they have messed around with the drive band sizes and lube groove styles over the years, but they've kept the original 358429 designation, and don't put out prints of what they're making (not that I've seen). It's Forrest's box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get.

As for bullet design, you can get the same weight as the Keith in the LFN/WFN styles, and not have the .38/.357 nose length issues associated with Elmer's slug.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    358429 is the first mold I ever had still have it. in the old days I cast and loaded a lot of them for two town police departments. loaded them to about 1100fps in .38 cases. that load would go through a windshield or car door with no problems. it also did good on deer and ground hogs.

The Keith #358429 is an excellent hunting boolit. It's also as heavy a .38 caliber mold I care to use in my handguns. The 357 magnum has it's limitations the same as any other gun, no sense in pushing the limits trying to make it something it isn't.

Lyman was my 'go to' choice of a new mold for many years. Sadly, after my last couple of purchases of new Lyman molds all throwing undersized boolits (even using their specific alloy, including linotype) I have gone the way of custom molds. My first being a NOE. I have been extremely satisfied with the 5-6 NOE molds I have purchased.

Good luck and best wishes on your purchase.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    I had Erik HP that mold since I had two. Very nice!!!
    Leadmelter
    MI