Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 20 MOA rail or 0 MOA rail and scope swap Q?

20 MOA rail or 0 MOA rail and scope swap Q?

In august I purchased an optic I planned to use for all my high power rifle needs. It will live on a .308 gun that has a 20 MOA rail installed ( a ruger precision...so I can't change that.) but from time to time when I need it on a different gun it will get swapped to that rifle. I have the option now to buy 20moa rails for other guns it will be installed on. Should I go with that or should I go with 0 moa.

For example, A axis 30/06 that I will use for hunting will have that scope put on it from time to time, I can get a 20 moa or a 0 moa picatinny rail from EGW. The scope would be closer by 20 moa if I went with the included angle, I of course realize it is not likely to be dead on but it would be closer than if it was a 0 moa mount.

I can't afford top glass for all my rifles so the scope swap is what I'm going with now, just looking at what makes more sense to go with from the get go. The scope has plenty of built in elevation to deal with having 20 moa or not so I'm not worried about that. I return the scope to 100 yard zero after each use unless I need to keep a zero for something different.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master

A 20 moa is good for long range 1000 yds plus. On my match rifles and long range rifle I have 20 moa mounts I made. Even have one on an AR-10 and the scope used for testing on these rifles wont zero much below 300 yds with them. for testing its not a big deal to put a second target at the height to see groups. on the 243 and 6.5 wildcat 600yds is about mechanical zero on the target scope maybe a few mins below still. I would look at 10 mins for a hunting rifle. As this should allow for 200 yd zero still. A lot deends on how far you intend to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Depends on hunting yardage ,my custom 6x45 upper has a 20 moa for a 200yd zero and shoots to 600yds w/70gr Bergers and my 308 mod 10 Savage also has a 20 moa . The one thing in common is they both have high end (for me) 1 inch tubes with target sites ,every other gun is hunting purposed so they have zero based scopes . Don"t know how you get around that as my target guns aren"t compatible for woods walking and what I hunt with ,all require different scopes for hunting purposes /at least works for me , Ed

The idea of owning one really good scope for all your rifles has a certain appeal. On the other hand, Mr. Murphy being who he is, the scope is never going to be on the rifle you want to use at the moment. Furthermore, a scope chosen for a long range target rifle is hardly ideal for a deer rifle you are going to be carrying around on your shoulder, in your vehicle, over fences, etc. You can find some very good, tough, low-powered variables for under $200. I would sock away a little cash, and buy a dedicated scope for my main hunting rifle. I know that is not what you asked, but there are times when modularity can be taken too far.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    In august I purchased an optic I planned to use for all my high power rifle needs. It will live on a .308 gun that has a 20 MOA rail installed ( a ruger precision...so I can't change that.) but from time to time when I need it on a different gun it will get swapped to that rifle. I have the option now to buy 20moa rails for other guns it will be installed on. Should I go with that or should I go with 0 moa.

For example, A axis 30/06 that I will use for hunting will have that scope put on it from time to time, I can get a 20 moa or a 0 moa picatinny rail from EGW. The scope would be closer by 20 moa if I went with the included angle, I of course realize it is not likely to be dead on but it would be closer than if it was a 0 moa mount.

I can't afford top glass for all my rifles so the scope swap is what I'm going with now, just looking at what makes more sense to go with from the get go. The scope has plenty of built in elevation to deal with having 20 moa or not so I'm not worried about that. I return the scope to 100 yard zero after each use unless I need to keep a zero for something different.
    My advice would be to go with a 0MOA for anything not being shot as a distance precision rifle. Keep a dope card with each rifle so you know how to get it on, and as soon as it comes off a rifle, before you even mount it on the new one, return to zero so that every dope is from mechanical zero.

Boolit Master
    For long range my main concern is 1 MOA on the turret is actually 1 MOA on the target out to 1200 plus. I use a 0 moa base and Burris XTR Signature rings. Inserts in the rings will get you 40MOA with a 30mm tube. The 20 bases are iffy plus it takes the correct ring spacing for 1 moa to be 1 moa. For real long range it takes a good adjustable base and those are hard to find these days. Most folks have quit making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    For long range my main concern is 1 MOA on the turret is actually 1 MOA on the target out to 1200 plus. I use a 0 moa base and Burris XTR Signature rings. Inserts in the rings will get you 40MOA with a 30mm tube. The 20 bases are iffy plus it takes the correct ring spacing for 1 moa to be 1 moa. For real long range it takes a good adjustable base and those are hard to find these days. Most folks have quit making them.

I'm having trouble understanding what you are referring to re guarding the ring spacing. Are you referring to the rings need to be spaced far enough apart on the base to be parallel to the base or are you saying that the adjustments of the scope itself is affected by the space of the rings on the base? Not sure how the 2nd one would be the case since they are internal adjustments and the number and size of rings vary so much.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding what you are referring to re guarding the ring spacing. Are you referring to the rings need to be spaced far enough apart on the base to be parallel to the base or are you saying that the adjustments of the scope itself is affected by the space of the rings on the base? Not sure how the 2nd one would be the case since they are internal adjustments and the number and size of rings vary so much.
    He's saying the INSERTS can be used to adjust alignment of the scope to the base in 1 moa increments if the ring spacing is correct.

I think you should have one scope for 20 moa bases and another scope for parallel bases. Besides your current scope being too bulky and heavy for hunting, different bases(20 moa versus straight) are apt to have varying slot locations that require moving rings on the scope body or cutting new slots.

Boolit Grand Master

Burris Signature Rings use inserts that can be used to make offsets.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...05-010-and-020
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-08-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Ended up getting a 0 MOA base and I'll try it out this weekend if we don't get more crazy weather. I'm not worried about the scope I have being too bulky for hunting, I thought I put it in the OP but any hunting I will do wont be up and down mountains or across long distances. Its a short hike and sit and wait kind of deal.
    My firearms project blog